What does Veeky Forums think of Systems Engineering? Is it a meme degree/field...

What does Veeky Forums think of Systems Engineering? Is it a meme degree/field? Many of the ISEs I know (it's called Industrial and Systems Engineering at my school) have gotten some pretty great offers at top companies

What is systems engineering? That picture is a bunch of corporate babel farted onto a page.
Genuinely interested in knowing. I had a module this semester on signals and systems and loved it. It was all about laplace, fourier and z transforms and using those to analyse dynamical systems. Does systems engineering involve any of that?

"Systems engineering uses a host of tools that include modeling and simulation, requirements analysis and scheduling to manage complexity. Systems engineering is an interdisciplinary field of engineering and engineering management that focuses on how to design and manage complex systems over their life cycles."

>That picture is a bunch of corporate babel farted onto a page
That's exactly what SE is

Wait so what is it? Can someone explain it as if you were explaining your job to your kid?

I don't know if anyone really knows what it is for sure, but it is a real thing. I know a guy who studied this for 4 years and is working as a financial advisory for a big 4 company making six figs at 23

Essentially its engineering applied to logistics.
An explanation reduced to absurdity would look like this :

So take flow rates, apply that to how money and product are flowing in and out of a company's "system". Or you could solve optimization problems for how much computing power is needed for their new "online" product, and does that make the flow rate increase favorably?

Is right, it's management asking an engineer to use his skills to improve a system within a company. Its also a bunch of horseshit, but if you like autism and money you'll enjoy it.

>management asking an engineer to use his skills to improve a system within a compan
And that's why companies get huge boners for SEs. Your degree is literally improving companies and making them more money

Creating and designing systems to do shit
Logistics, basically business.

Indeed, another person SEs work with a lot are actuaries, as the decisions that the SE makes are going to have risks that need measuring

It seems liked from what the BLS says about it that Industrial/Systems Engineers are basically channeling a combination of OCD and pure German meme Autism into a job to make companies orderly and efficient

Stay far away. It's a shitload of buzzwords and people who create overhead

I already have a BS in another engineering field. I was thinking of getting a MS in SE

No yeah its literally that.

How can I make something efficient over here so as to be able to spend more money on forklifts so that I add more efficiency over all?

Its literally
>Factorio: The Career

Don't waste your money and effort. SE's are super-autists who don't work well with others and are relegated to cobbling shit together and otherwise doing everybody else's bitchwork. If you like that kind of thing, all the power to you.

When I worked in systems engineering, I acted as an intermediary between the supplier and customer. My job included updating requirements and writing up with formal reports for anything from individual components like a valve all the way up to an entire mechanism or system. Nothing remotely technical was involved. No calculations, CAD or even numbers. Actually, there are numbers involved, you're just not the one coming up with them. But you are the one responsible for ensuring that the numbers are met.

It's not a meme job as it is necessary for the successful completion of a project. For example, you could argue the Challenger disaster was a failure in systems engineering.

I could have done the job without an engineering degree. The only reason (I suspect) they ask for one is a liability thing as they want professional engineers to be the ones signing off on documents should something go wrong. I wouldn't do it again, the job was kill myself boring. I recommend you try it for a summer before majoring in it.

Really? All the ISEs/SEs I know were the chads of engineering at my university, even more than the MEs. They have great personal and networking skills and have gotten great jobs from it.

it's not an academic field, because it doesn't study shit
it's the holy grail of technical careers, works wonders to make money

>I know were the chads of engineering at my university
irrelevant during a career
>gotten great jobs from it.
no progression in engineering knowledge and not a whole lot of engineering technical skills

I disagree. It studies the science of optimization and modeling/simulation for one. Also you need to know a good amount about probability and stats

what the fuck are you even saying? fuck off tripfaggot

as soon as you go into studying optimization seriously you're doing math. no engineer will do that. operations research is a field done by mathematicians and only consumed by engineers.

same for probability and stats: it's only mindlessly consuming what you need. it's like saying that by learning calculus you're studying analysis.

>>no progression in engineering knowledge and not a whole lot of engineering technical skills
what's their typical day like.

>it's only mindlessly consuming what you need
This appeals to my lazy self

>Systems Engineering
it isn't actually about linear or dynamic systems