That pseud who says Shakespeare is overrated to look contrarian and sophisticated

>that pseud who says Shakespeare is overrated to look contrarian and sophisticated

whats worst are Pseuds who think Shakespeare was a white man

he was a dark moorish black man

dude what are you talking about XDDD

holy.. i want more

>that pseud who says Infinite Jest is overrated to look contrarian and sophisticated

>that board which consists of nothing but people who don't read yet shit talk widely popular books

Its like Veeky Forums but with books instead of weights

Shakespeare is overrated, relative to the whole history of drama. The Bard may be the best dramatist of all time—by a wide margin too—but he is not the only dramatist. Lesser quality plays regularly get performed because the name Shakespeare has so much clout; meanwhile, more modern plays or the Greek tragedies, which are spectacular, lay unused. Shakespeare is not overrated per se, but powerful brand recognition produces a predictable effect: shitty Shakespeare gets performed more often than the best of the Greeks or the moderns.

haha le hook
le replies
haha

everyone in high school, and everyone who, mentally, never left

Agreed to an extent (although plenty of Greek and Elizabethan plays get put on), but that's others being underrated, not Shakespeare overrated.

>The Bard may be the best dramatist of all time—by a wide margin too—
Your post was good, except for that part. His dramas aren't that good. The prose is what saves them.

>prose

lol

Goethe was unironically better.

Faust Part 2 patrician here, reporting out.

Goethe himself would have spat on you for venturing that opinion.

Of course, he'd never admit it after all. He was surprisingly humble.

But it's true nonetheless.

His prose is great too, have you read Henry IV?

Yes?

Rating a poet on how well they write prose is pretty weird.

Can't tell if this is a joke

I don't know where you're from, but you're lucky to see the Greeks put on. Then again I live in South, so it's to be expected I suppose.

As for rating, the distinction between Shakespeare being overrated and everyone else being underrated is of little importance.

Perhaps not by a wide margin, but I'd say he is the best playwright. His best plays are incredible—only a few in the history of tragedy could possibly best them—and his "middling" plays are still very good.

London. Saw the Oresteia at the Globe last year :3

Oh fuck you.

>that pseud who thinks that Infinite Jest is an objectively """"bad"""" book
think for yourself for once babe

>8559820 (OP) #
Shakespeare is overrated just not overrated per second. Got it.

Implying I then wouldn't have pseud opinions