Can I get a grades thread for brainlets like me? Shit just got put up

Can I get a grades thread for brainlets like me? Shit just got put up

Because I think you want some praise.

Good job, man.

That and I missed out on all the grades threads a week ago because my uni is slow as shit

Thanks senpai

Brainlet reporting in

After taking a semester of CS, I realized it was a joke, so I'm switching my major to Physics. Also tested out of Calc 1 so I can jump right into Calc 2 since I took the piss easy Applied Calc.

Another brainlet here, realised im dumb as shit this first year but working my ass off is paying off

>take most basic CS 101 course
>CS is a joke

I'm not a CS major but that sounds retarded

What university do you go to? I recognize that grade system.

Just hoping next semester will be fine with Orgo II,Physics I, Calc III, MATLAB, Macroeconomics

Temple

I know a couple memers there browse this board

"Brainlett"

Wait, wait, wait. You guys take a class on how to use MATLAB? At my meme school, profs assume you learned that shit around the time you learned how to walk.

yeah basically just using Excel / MATLAB to solve problems. I'm assuming it will be easy because I have programming and excel experience but a peer with no experience whatsoever who took the class last semester seemed to struggle.

My professors just said 'if you don't know how to use it look up some youtube videos'

My school teaches basic classes on how to use a computer so the classes DO exist but aren't meant to be major requirements. So I would be shocked if a school didn't have a course on MATLAB but making it a requirement for graduation would be awkward.

First year physics major here. Looks like I won't be taking chemistry again. I didn't take any science in high school because shitty homeschooling so I had to teach myself and organic chemistry assblasted me

On a side note, how useful for theoretical physics is modern algebra? I.e rings, groups stuff like that

All these fucking freshmen.

>Freshman thinking they are genius

Here's mine to make others feel better. Pretty rough semester to say the least :( Should've and could've done better in diffy q but I barely went to the 8 AM's and didn't pick up my slack in my off time. Also, fuck Physics II.

Hoping to pick it up next semester when I have my shit together and have some easier classes.

I never thought I'd be so disappointed in myself for an A-.

how tf is a C- a 4.0

I think that's credits earned. I think the GPA thing is the right hand column of quality points.

>He goes to Ball State
laughinggirls.jpg

ITT: first years think they're top shit

>tripfag broadcasting his mental retardation

Kek, all these freshmen. Wonder how many of you will drop out when you have to take your first real course. From my experience at least half.

>I look at my credits
>Pre-calculus Algebra
>Pre-calculus Trigonometry
>English 101

T-t-t-these a-a-are real classes r-r-right user?

Hey, got a D- in Calc I. AmA.

>Georgia Tech-Atlanta
>3000-level courses

You must be a fucking mess by now.

What happened?

How much would you pay for a private calculus tutor?

Just a college frenchman but I worked pretty hard this semester so figured I'd share (didn't have to work hard in calc at all though lol, it was really easy).

Yes, time to stroke my massive intellectual cock.

Only thermo was interesting, everything else was writing or plug and chug

as much as I would hate to stroke your ego, that looks pretty impressive. is it a good engineering college though?

Same. Got my first A- in a math course in my honors abstract algebra course this semester.

hello fellow bearcat

Engineering jokes aside, Georgia Tech is a really nice school. Let us know how Elon's cock tastes once you graduate.

Best in my state, but I'm not too sure how well my university compares outside of the state. I'd like to go to an Ivy for my grad degree tho.

you go to UNH, user?

Binghamton? I'm another user but I'm at bing.
What are you studying? I'm a sophomore and I'm dreading the snowy beginning of next semester already

Will I ever make it Veeky Forums?

A lot, Modern Algebra is the language of particle physics

MIT, Stanford, and Cal Tech, in that order, are god-tier.

Berkeley, Cornell, Georgia Tech, Carnegie, and Purdue are pretty nice, too.

Probably

Yeah, BME major graduating in May

What are you majoring in?

Biology, looking to get a PhD in bacteriology or virology

Thanks

So the CS class is just for fun?

Not the guy you're replying to, but I've heard that custom computer modeling is really important when it comes to studying the fluid dynamics that go on in the cardiovascular and lymphatic systems.

I guess so, I wanted to get a bit of programming under my belt with more rigor than an Intro to Programming course made for mouth breathers. I actually got to make a few biology-relevant programs since my professor had a hard on for natural sciences

Plus as he said you never know when you'll be expected to use a computer model

...University of Wisconsin?

>tfw some guy living in a shack in bumfuck russia with his mother solves navier-stokes and you're suddenly unemployed

Oh nice. I'm doing Financial Econ. I can probably apply to the SOM and get into it but i'm having a fun time doing my economics courses and I don't really want a braindead SOM degree.

I've heard all harpur majors are a meme unless you're pre-med. But then again my major is a meme so don't listen to me

I'm surprised how many colleges do this plus/minus bullshit. Furthermore, I hate how GPAs are calculated in general. Why is it that grades of 90 and 99 both correspond to a 4.0 but 89 is only a 3.0?

>Why is it that grades of 90 and 99 both correspond to a 4.0 but 89 is only a 3.0?

That's the whole point of +'s and -'s, to make the GPA ranges more narrow
So:
99 --> 4.0
93 --> 3.7
89 --> 3.3
etc. It's a lot more logical

>That's the whole point of +'s and -'s

I'm well aware of that. If we're adding more resolution to GPAs, why not just say fuck it and do what we do with grades, i.e, GPAs between 0-100.

>tfw failure at life

>why not just say fuck it and do what we do with grades, i.e, GPAs between 0-100.
Standardization. An 80 at one school =/= an 80 at many other schools. There are schools where the average engineering grades are in the 80s and there are schools where it's in the 50s. It would be very hard to accurately judge that. The letter system adds a basis of standardization. If someone gets an A you know there were probably about 2 standard deviations above the mean, but if they got an 80 you have no idea what that means without an average score.

memelab was pretty fun actually

>A-'s, B+'s, B-'s are bad
this is what kids at shit schools with grade inflation actually believe

That only works if they curve the grades so the average is a C. Most places don't do that

Actually only three people got an A in my real analysis course, so no grade inflation, Bio my advisor told me i could pass/fail and then told me two weeks before finals i actually needed to take a grade, and well, graduate abstract algebra was just hard as shit. Of course my school actually gives out Cs in graduate courses, im one of only two undergrads to pass graduate algebra in the past 3 years so meh.

Ah, so you were fishing for compliments with thinly veiled sarcasm.

Bad algebra. Failed all exams but the final. Took me awhile to catch on. Missing a key matlab ass't, and in general Matlab ass'ts could've been better. Honestly, I needed to dig down a little deeper to catch on a lot earlier to what calc was all about. I can't help feeling like I missed something important in the lessons. Like, I have no idea how to think in terms of optimization problems.

$0, and i wouldn't want one.

Should have studied for surveying and environmental, I almost reached perfection.

>tfw brainlet

glad to see Veeky Forums doing well this past fall.

I just pulled the GPA up to 3.51. Math major EE minor. already accepted to applied math masters, senior year feelin good.

I usually browse /pol/...

Dunno why I decided to venture out of /pol/ and visit new places.

Decide to visit Veeky Forums for the fuck of it.

See this thread.

Congrats, OP.

You make smart people like me proud.

Unfortunately I am a failed genius, but you actually go to school.

Congrats.

Happy New Years.

t. grad school

By the way, just out of curiosity?

How old are you guys?

lol OP's grades are actually average for this thread

I'm 21 finishing a degree in math. im this guy

>Average.

Not gonna debate whether it's true or not.

The point is you guys are striving to give it your best.

I respect that.

A lot.

Congrats everyone, and happy New Years.

18 years old. Just starting my career in mathematics. Gonna be the king tho.

Will be Purdue sophomore year user!

Lol. I put in almost no effort to studying and still pulled B's in my ugrad. Unfortunately, unless you're going for a grad degree, grades don't matter much.

Yeah, I do have a job and I love it. Probably one of the best in where I live too.

who'd you take for 207?

Yup

yeah, what's good

>has good grades
>thinks it means that he is a genius

>3 exams first in 2 weeks in final year of biomedical science
>bit started revising due to procrastination and anxiety
>also have 2000 word report due in 2 weeks

Is it even possible to do well still? or should i just kill myself

How's biomedical science where you study?
I just finished my first year of it here in New Zealand

Roblyer, his exams can kill even with the extra credit.

Im in England, the course is alright, obviously it very rigid but the only modules i hated were bio-chem, genetics and some party of but being a BMS scientist is just not for me, i think that fucked up my motivation and now im in an awful situation. i feel sick

stop fucking around and study
once I wasn't ready for a hard exam two days before and I fucking learned half a book for it

how did you learn and retain the information? as it it im just watching the lectures and after im done gonna use text books to try and understand and memorise.

I'm suppose to be a college graduate but I'm scared poopless that I failed a class. Basically I bombed a final miserably for a pretty dumb reason and was just doing "meh" in the class overall. Will you guys pray for me?

Stop smoking weed and your grades might improve

They should though

m8 you can always retake the course

In the past I've joked how it's impossible to fail a course
I accepted a job offer from a top company
The class is only offered once a year
That would mean I would have to come back Winter next year
I would probably just rescind my job offer out of shame

Brainlets BTFO

how much did you study? be honest

ITT: People bragging

Most of you guys are from the US. The place where you literally pay for your grades.

>no final exam but projects, quizzes so you can even pass a course without writing the final exam
>grade dependent on curves
>mostly JUST 1-3 credits per course
>sometimes multiple choice
>I bet even less material than we have to cover

I'm studying in Germany EE and I literally know no one from my class with the equivalent of straight A's per semester. I really don't know, US education seem to be fishy as fuck.

I got really upset about an A- in a class this semester and I'm at fucking Purdue, probably the least grad inflated school in the country, in the math department,which is notorious for grading on a curve centered around a certain score. I broke my straight A streak as a senior so it is frustrating, but it's totally my fault. I also know it doesn't matter at all; it was just a personal goal.

I read all the textbooks and spend a lot of time doing homework. Pretty time consuming t.b.h. but then I don't have to study for exams

It's because the philosophy of how uni is in the US is different from Germany. I'm pretty sure Germany is really exclusive about who can get into college so they can expect more from their students. There are also way more gen eds in the US compared to Germany. This is because majors are pretty much flexible as a freshman so people can change majors. There is also no good standardization of high school content so a lot of material is retaught. Junior year at an American university is similar to 2nd year material at a lot of German universities (look at plans of studies in US colleges to see this).

I'm an American student though so I could be wrong.

What the fuck? What fucking school doesn't have final exams? Who the fuck is lying to you?

Literally not a single thing you wrote is accurate at any good school

You mean the professional side ins't for you, or just the content in general?
Personally I have shit all aims for a professional career after i graduate, no idea what I'll do

Unbiased arguments. I like you.

>What the fuck? What fucking school doesn't have final exams? Who the fuck is lying to you?
I meant 'no final exam' in the sense like 'no final final exam'. Like, you guys don't have an exam whereas your entire grade is dependent on your perfomance on that one exam. Not in the sense that you don't have a final exam.

But most likely I wanted to point out that as long you performed in the easier stuff like quizzes and projects and collected a min. amount of points, you could even skip sometimes the final exam and still pass the course. That's something which is really weird as fuck if you ask me.