Hey guys, so I am going to be taking statistics and probability for engineers and scientists next semester...

Hey guys, so I am going to be taking statistics and probability for engineers and scientists next semester. I have heard different things about this class so I was wondering how hard is this class compared to say differential equations? I took DE this semester and got an A.

I flip a coin then roll a die. If the die lands on 6, what is the probability that the coin will then land on heads?

1/2

Stats is the easiest Fucking math course you will ever take hands down. At any level it takes basically 0 thought.

1/2

>At any level it takes basically 0 thought.
How many 400 and 500 level statistics courses have you taken?

take measure some time senpai

you didn't really get a straight answer yet, so i'll chip in:

undergrad stats courses that are geared towards engineering and the softer sciences are easy as fuck, as they should be. Universities seek to get all of these students out the door and into the lab as soon as they can, and they want to ensure that none of them are bumfuck retarded when it comes to simple statistics. Relatively little calculus and no knowledge of linear algebra will be required - you can probably get an A if you skip every lecture and skim the book.

I hope I don't sound cynical, because it's honestly a good idea for universities to guarantee a bare minimum of statistics literacy.

t. stats major

You're going to struggle in probability.

You're going to have an easy time.

>Short answer
Class will be simple compared with DE however if youre looking to demostrate the equations in as an extra to your course inferential stactics will gangbang you

I studied electrical engineering and honestly, probability was the toughest math class I ever took. I personally just didn't find that stuff as intuitive as diff eq or any calc class.

I took that class at UNL, 300 level. First stats class ever taken, and never went to class. Got a B based on logic. Easiest and boring-est math ever 5/10 fuck stats

weird how ppl in here are saying it's easy

i thought it was definitely harder than diff eq. diff eq was straightforward. probability was not

>for engineers
It will be easy

Proper intro to prob/stats classes aren't that easy though.

They're independent events, the dice doesn't affect the probability of the coin. At most the answer would be more information necessary. Furthermore that is a small segment of engineering probability.

Dont know about your stats class, but the first half of ours was just probabilties and the difffeferent distributions, the second half was on stochastic processes. We did some calc in the class but most of the exams where written in ways in which it would be easiest to answer a part using calc but the professor would always wanted us to do the problem without using caculus). I don't know what you cover in your stats class but in my school there are 3 different stat courses designed for engineering students. The one i took is for EEs and CPEs and its supposed to be the hardest of three. Overall the class was pretty straightforward and the concept were easy to grasp. I only got a B+ in the class because i was a brainlet and didnt study so when exams would roll through thered be a tricky problem or two that would stump me for a while and id end up running out of time to properly finish my exams

You don't read carefully enough. The probability is 0 because by the time the die lands, the coin has already landed so it can't ~then~ land on heads.

You're talking out of your ass.

So, thats a tricky question. But what if I asked what the probability of rolling a 6 AND getting a heads was? Do I just multiply 1/6 by 1/2?

Also have to take the engineering stat class this spring btw

>I was wondering how hard is this class compared to say differential equations? I took DE this semester and got an A.

i guess you managed to not understand anything about DE's in spite of getting an A in the class. That's the real achievement here.