Who here Stanford/MIT/Caltech master race? Are you enjoying your time? What are you majoring in...

Who here Stanford/MIT/Caltech master race? Are you enjoying your time? What are you majoring in? What are the ups and downs? Do the kids live up to the name of your school? Does the school itself?

Also, apologies to Caltech ahead of time: I couldn't find a pic with all three schools in my cursory google image search

Other urls found in this thread:

colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data
thebestschools.org/features/best-mathematics-programs-in-world-today/
youtube.com/watch?v=HABNe7_D22k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm from Canada, I am pursuing a doctorate at at MIT. The undergrads are worse than most community colleges desu

MIT
> Are you enjoying your time?
Yes
>What are you majoring in?
Math is the plan.
>What are the ups and downs?
The dining halls are closed and I have no money so I cant eat, and will die over the next week.
>Do the kids live up to the name of your school?
No
>Does the school itself?
Yes

The masterrace will always be the Ashkenazim.

Caltech
Yes
Physics
Food is stupidly overpriced.
A good fraction of them.
>Does the school itself?
Yes.

Texas A&M master race here.

Fuck Stanfurd.

>He goes to a public school
lul
(if ur a grad student its k)

>He buys his grades

actually with financial aid rich alums buy them for me :^)

I mean I chose Cal at least partially because of the financial aid I'm getting, my dad's veteran status gets my tuition paid up through a PhD if I want/need it to.

My uni isn't even listed

safety schools get out

>Equating MIT and Caltech to Stanford
lol, someone's a nervous failure, isn't he?

I can't tell which one you're trying to roast

Hey TAMU master race here too. Major?

ITT: Snobs who thought their high ranked universities would make them special but day by day the realization that it won't hits deep and now the only sense of superiority they can get out of it is by posting about it on an imageboard where nobody gives a shit.

Projecting

sorry you couldn't get in, bud. the smart person life isn't for everyone :(

No, don't think too much about it. A thread where I was heavily shitposting in just got deleted and I wanted to check if I was banned and this was the first thread I saw.

That said, you are still tools.

nah man, you're a tool

That said, you are still a tool

I am not the one making threads to increase my little, little ego.

bud, I didn't go to any of the schools I mentioned in the OP. And never did I insinuate it. I was just wondering what life was like in those schools. Calm down, big boy

Wait, you don't go to any of those schools and yet you call them "masterrace"? Fuck man, what kind of cuckold brainwashing did you undergo.

I thought the people saying things like "masterrace" were supposed to be the thing they are claiming is superior but you... you as an outside come here to suck people's cocks. Holy fuck. Who hurt you? It is okay man, ranking is literally just a meme.

jesus, bud. I can't tell if you're yanking my chain right now, but please don't take a bunch of meme words so seriously. have a good one

fuck off retard

Does it matter really matter where go to school? I'm looking at public universities because GI Bill will cover full tuition. I'm in community college and working on transferring for computer engineering.

God Tier Howard University checking in.

fuck out of here nigger

Sorry, brainlets. Real genius coming through

It doesn't really as long as its ABET accreddited and is well known/has a good job fair (the former usually leads to the latter)

Its just better schools have better internship opportunities. As an example, although Cornell and Wisconsin both have great oppurtunties for internships, Cornells are obviously going to be far better as they are a better program and have more prestige.

For engineering and (to a certain degree) science where you went becomes largely irrelevant for jobs unless you are being hired by a fellow alum. The prestige of the school matters while you are there as internships. State schools almost always have great connections within the state, especially Big 10 schools and Southern State schools.

>claims Harvard
>no time stamp
>no ID card
>no proof

>parents went to stanford
>brother went to MIT
>I went to a state school for undergrad and am currently still there for my master's

I need to knock it out of the park for my PhD program fuck me

>This is how the system of classism and capitalism corrupts the souls of the people, making them not proud of having a higher education in a time when like 10% of people go to university, but instead make them suffer because they didn't go to a "good" enough place. Good being defined by how useful it is for the establishment of rich politicians and banks who wish to make college more expensive to incentivize young people to take out loans and fall into the biggest trap of capitalism

This is why I say you people are tools. You were fed the meme of prestige and now you suffer when you should be overjoyed.

big boy reporting in

>big boy

I've never even seen that logo before.

The bottom line is, you are either going to an elite college or a shit college. The difference is night and day. Few things are more important for long-term economic prospects than the prestige of your degree-granting institution.

>dual-parent legacy at a top school not named MIT
>didn't get in
You were probably too stupid anyway

If you truly believe this then you are way beyond the point you can be saved. You have been succesfully brainwashed by the establishment.

The sad thing is that it is really weird. It is usually the case that the delusional person is the one who goes to a mid/low level college but then says that ranking as ABSOLUTELY no impact at all. That is the kind of delusion I expect becausen that person's delusion helps them cope with their own internal failure. It helps them feel better about themselves.

But you, you are even worse. You are going to a mid/low level and you believe that the difference between your college and an "elite" one is as big as the difference between night and day. Your delusion HURTS you, but you still believe it.

Why? How did you get this brainwashed? Why do you not know that the only person who will care about your university is the HR person who hires you for your first job ever. Then you work for 5 years and after all that those 5 years of experience will be all you get asked about in the future.

The american system is trully corrupt and I can't believe it works.

cont.

more like i was too busy being addicted to World of Warcraft to care about where I was going for college or my future and then senior year came and I was like "oh well I guess I should try to do a little more"

Put forth minimal effort to get straight A's in high school and reaped what I sowed.

>encourage high spending by colleges for any kind of bullshit. Bigger buildings, stadiums, an inside merch industry, etc.
>then encourage banks to lend a lot of money to students who then directly pay for unis and therefore pay for the senseless spending that was pushed before.
>Create a ranking system in where if your college does not meet a checklist of useless bullshit then you are pushed down.
>Then push for universities to charge an amount directly proportional to their ranking
>Then convince people that if you are not going to the highest ranking institutions (read: most expensive) then you are getting robbed out of a meaningful and worthwhile education
>That kickstarts a meaningless race to the top when in reality everyone should be going to the most affordable college near their own area, unless they were confirmed child geniuses with a 300 IQ
>Then succesfully create a system where 90% of the population feels bad about their higher education, more vulnerable to in the future want to spend on more meaningless bullshit

It is like a second capitalism. Oh, you are middle class? LOL WHY ARE YOU NOT A MILLIONAIRE. ARE YOU LAZY NOW? LAZY MIDDLE CLASS LOL!

Oh so you are a millionaire? Well, it won't last for long unless you become a MULTI MILLIONAIRE, SPEND MORE NOW AND DON'T FORGET TO DISPLAY YOUR WEALTH BUYING BIG THINGS YOU DON'T NEED ;^)

Oh, you are a multi millionaire? Well, fuck. If you are not a billionaire then you are basically DIRT POOR. SPEND MOOOREEE BUY MORE BUSINESSES BUT DON'T FORGE TTO ALSO BUY MORE HOUSES AND CARS AND EVERYTHING, SPEND SPEND SPEND.

It is the same thing. Oh, you are going to an ok- state uni? LOL WHY AREN'T YOU GOING TO THE TOP 1 IN YOUR STATE! YOU ARE SO CHEAP AND PROBABLY DUMB!

You are top 1? Then why not TOP 50 IN THE COUNTRY!

What, you are top 50? But not top 10? Lol you are basically a peasant LOL. Get out of here.

Because it's actually true? Plenty of prestigious companies will only interview grads of elite colleges, for example, which gives graduates of these colleges much better opportunities for resume building.

They also have an advantage in admission to prestigious graduate programs, where the situation is as bad or worse in many fields of science, as in you will have a very hard time getting a long-term science job if you don't attend an elite institution.

As I said, where you graduated only matters for the first 5 years of your career. After that people will only see your work experience. Nobody cares about the university history of a 30 year old.

Do you think that everytime you get into a business venture or go for a job they will ask again and again for your college? In less than 3 years your college will be a footnote, buried below paragraphs and paragraphs of experience. Nobody will care.

But you were made to believe that everyone will care. That you will be a failure if you do not have TOP 1 stamped on your degree. As my favorite politician would say

SAD!

>Plenty of prestigious companies will only interview grads of elite colleges, for example, which gives graduates of these colleges much better opportunities for resume building.
(Citation needed)
Seriously this is complete horseshit unless your definition of elite college is extremely loose, in which case define it.

If you worked for, say, Google, for your first 5 years, you will have far better exit opportunities than someone from a merely top-40 or so who worked at a less name-brand company. If that person wanted to get an MBA they would again be at a disadvantage due to having less prestigious accomplishments.

How about most of Wall Street, and quite a few Silicon Valley companies? I'm defining elite here as US top 15-20 or so. I'm sure they will have people working there who did not attend elite colleges but they are few and far between.

I'm thinking MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Berkeley, Ivies, maybe a few elite liberal arts colleges, a few other public schools (but this is really pushing it)

I-I'm close to MIT and Harvard geographically.

How do you stand it? Especially that one line from The Social Network where Mark says his gf doesn't need to study because she "goes to BU".

She wasn't in a STEM major, I take it?

>If you worked for, say, Google, for your first 5 years, you will have far better exit opportunities than someone from a merely top-40 or so who worked at a less name-brand company. If that person wanted to get an MBA they would again be at a disadvantage due to having less prestigious accomplishments.

This is true but how much is the difference? And can it be overcome?

I would say that the difference would simply be a couple of thousand dollars a year. That is not a class difference. They would be the same, just one would have not pocket money.

And could it be overcome? Of course! Save money and start a business! When you are the boss none of your clients will ask for your degree. At that point your education will be the only factor, not what degree came attached to it.

That is another problem with the BIG UNI industry. For some reason most people think that the end game of our society is to get a great job. But no, having your own business is the end game. That is how you truly become wealthy, succesful and satisfied with yourself.

It is really sad that if you interview kids, teens and young adults to ask them about their life goals 99% of them will say or imply that they want to work for someone else. How has this system corrupted the capitalist dream.

SAD!

I don't remember. It's been a few years since I watched it.

By avoiding anyone from the fine arts, communications, social works, and education schools, and most of the College of Arts and Sciences students.

Stop the backpedaling, you said
>Plenty of prestigious companies will only interview grads of elite colleges, for example, which gives graduates of these colleges much better opportunities for resume building.
>will only interview grads of elite colleges
Completely ignoring the fact that plenty outside of top 15-20 get jobs on Wall Street (and I know plenty do as a family friend who used to work at Goldman Sachs directly recruited from schools outside the top 15-20), logically if people who are
>working there who did not attend elite colleges but they are few and far between.
then they logically must interview many who didn't attend a top 15-20 school.

You don't need to study that much to do well in a STEM major. I didn't study that much in undergrad at a US top 40 in math/physics and still ended up with like a 3.8 despite taking a fair number of advanced graduate courses in both fields.

I don't really care that much about business anyway, I already haven't gotten any calls for jobs ~6 months out of school with an MS, so I'm just going to go back to academia and hope I get in to an elite institution for my PhD.

I'm just basing this on friends I know who have worked on Wall Street for awhile and told me that they have a fairly small set of "target" schools from which they interview candidates which basically amount to the places you'd expect.

Also we're allegedly among the most employable schools in the world.

Companies do recruit directly from certain schools, but many such as Boston College fall significantly outside your definition of elite. Its small in the sense that if you go to SUNY-Purchase you aren't going to work on Wall Street.
Remind yourself that your friends likely aren't the recruiters and are probably full of shit.
Silicon Valley doesn't exclusively do this.

meh, it just feels like I ruined my life by being lazy in high school and not pursuing enough extracurriculars to get in to an elite college, my grades and SAT scores were good enough but I didn't really know what was doing.

What college do you even go to user

It doesn't matter, I just gave a rough idea of the ranking based on US news ranking in colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data

The problem is, academia is even worse, in physics you are really going to struggle if you don't go to a top tier institutions because you won't find your way in to a top postdoc without the right recommendation writers. Almost everyone employed at R1s has their PhD from an elite institution.

Unrelated to the topic
I live in Maryland, what is a good Maryland undergrad school?

Johns Hopkins, UMD is pretty good in some fields.

You have to do internships or research to get any sort of job for most majors user, it didn't have anything to do with your uni

I know, I did summer research internships in both math and in physics during undergrad, and I did research as part of my masters. As far as I can tell, I don't have sufficient corporate experience to get hired, but I can't exactly get an internship at this point. This whole situation is all because my physics GRE was too low for a top tier institution this year.

Then I don't know, are you being picky with what jobs you apply to?

Not really. Maybe it's just taking companies a long time to call back, I don't know. I mostly apply to defense or programming jobs. NEETing isn't the worst thing ever, but it is an odd sort of pressure in a way, because it feels as if I will be in this exact situation in 3-4 years after I get my PhD, if I don't go to a name-brand place.

Maybe try a different area, although 6 months and no job looks a bit bad

Yeah, the problem is once you don't get hired for too long, you can't get ever get hired, due to not being employed for too long. I also fucking hate working, if my experiences working summer jobs in HS is any indicator. I don't really enjoy anything much, but I actively dislike going to work.

>I'm a beaver!
>You're a beaver!
>We are beavers all!
>And when we get together, we do the beaver call!
>e^ u du dx, e^x dx.
>cosine, secant, tangent, sine, 3.14159.
>integral, radical, mu, dv
>slipstick, sliderule, MIT!

>GOOOO Tech!

How many hours are you Ivy people investing per class approx. per semester?

None, In ivies the system is pay4grade.

None. My dad owns one of the biggest factories that produces rubber for tires in north america. I just spend my time doing molly with stacy sluts. I get C's on my exams and assignments but usually it gets curved up to an A.

I also got an A in UG research but I only showed up to the lab once.

>Caltech

you're joking right?

Shanghai rankings rank University of Washington, Berkeley, Oxford, Chicago, etc. higher than caltech (which is only decent for research)

We are talking undergraduate faggot, also in what world is University of Minnesota better than virtually any college on that entire list

again, caltech isn't good.

thebestschools.org/features/best-mathematics-programs-in-world-today/

Look on here, this factors in undergrad (and shanghai does do)

Caltech is still ranked below Washington, Ecole, Princeton, Berkeley, and other elites. Caltech might be tier 2 or 3.

I go to Caltech for undergrad, and their math program is pretty shitty.

>UCLA #9
YEAH DAMN RIGHT

Literally who school

I've jumped around from different fields STEM fields (Engineering,finance, entrepreneurship) and have done pretty well for myself. I'd say there are 4 tiers in the working world. Only US unis in here. Did my BS (Math and ME) and my Masters at two different tier 2 schools btw.

Tier 1

> Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, and Caltech in that order. Wharton also falls somewhere in the middle here.

Top jobs handed out like candy and unparalleled recruitment and alumni network, plenty of trust fund babbies and brainlet minorities but these are the only schools where you can be of average intelligence compared to the student body and land top positions.

Tier 2

>Top publics (Berkeley, Michigan, UCLA, GT) and everything in the top 20 USews besides WashU and Emory. Notable exceptions here made for Georgetown, CMU and USC. All ivies and ivy equivalents are here. Columbia, Hopkins and Uchicago can be argued for tier 1.5. Top military academies, Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore and Harvey Mudd are the only LACs here.

If you are here, pretty much every employer at a non-shit company will recognize these names and know a little bit about each school. Fantastic recruiting relative to the general population although you cannot get by on being average at these schools.

Tier 3

>Good state publics (UF, Wisconsin, OSU). WashU and EMORY and most of the USnews top 50 falls here. Good LACs (Middlebury, Bowdoin, Vassar) fall here due to name recognition, assume anything past 15 in the LAC USnews ranking is not in this tier. Notable exceptions are Purdue, Texas A&M and Virginia tech.

You will have a good job if you fall here. However, don't expect to be anything more than a wagecuck who maybe peaks at 100k a year in a STEM field. There are exceptions to this of course but they become exceedingly rare at this level

Tier 4

>Everything else

Honestly better off not going to college and learning how to code. These schools are a waste of time and money.

Literally the most accurate rankings I've ever seen. Too bad OP doesn't know how to write sentences, must be one of those trust fund babbies.

Samefag, and its accurate until tier 4 which is objectively incorrect. Most colleges are worth something although it is significantly more difficult to get a good job the lower you go. When it comes to engineering it literally just matters if its ABET accredited or not.

If one isn't planning on going to grad school, engineering is the only thing worth studying at tier 4. Even then, becoming a quality self-taught coder will almost certainly get you farther than an engineering degree at low-tier ABET accredited school

Friendly reminder that this guy's a Harvard graduate :^)

youtube.com/watch?v=HABNe7_D22k

Johns Hopkins if you got the money
UMD for parties/journalism
Towson for teaching
UMBC if you want to be a good scientist
Most others are memes

Caltech here,
Math and physics. Last year.
Have had more opportunity to do research than I would have been provided with anywhere else. Going to grad school @ZurichETH. Caltech is a research powerhouse, I'd contend it to be the best in the world in regards to opportunity and productivity.

Where are TN Tech and Vanderbilt?

You're either retarded or a troll. If you look at the methodology for Shanghai, you'll see that 90% of the ranking is TOTAL number (of laureates, papers, etc.). For a smaller school like Caltech (there are literally less than 250 undergrads per year) of course it will be ranked "lower" than giant state schools.

Can you read? This is literally the same ranking as the shanghai one lmao. Don't try and pass it off as independent.

At Caltech I am pretty sure undergrad math is actually one of the best (or at least has the highest minimum amount of rigor required, and the most opportunities for research), whereas grad school, maybe not so much. It's great if you want to do math-ph or hep-th type things (5/19 faculty are cross-listed with the physics department, and 4 of the others do really physics-y stuff) but is a little weak otherwise.

I think you guys are so focussed on the name and general reputation of your school that you didn't actually think to look at faculty and departments.
Having said that, if you study math and don't study here, you've wasted your time. Harvard, MIT, you can go fuck yourselves. Princeton, kiss my ass. Stanford, suck a dick. Berkeley and UCLA, you have my respect.

>ywn have to experience of going to an actually good school
>you will forever be banished into shitty state schools with terrible unmotivating professors

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I WANT OFF THIS RIDE

HOW DO I RESTART LIFE

State schools aren't all bad.
UC, U Washington, UT Austin, U of C Boulder, U W Madison, UIUC, U Michigan, SUNY Stony Brook, UVA, OSU, U Indiana Bloomington, UNH, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, UNC Chapel Hill, William & Mary, Penn State, Purdue, U Florida, Maryland, Clemson, and U Georgia are all solid schools.

>I did summer research internships in both math and in physics during undergrad

Did you do original research or what? How was it? Describe it please, I'm a scared and immensely stressed yuropoor.

>Have had more opportunity to do research than I would have been provided with anywhere else.

I'm I'd also appreciate your feedback. I made a thread once but only got 2 replies saying "just bee urself" and I'd like to know about your experiences and see your take on the issue.

I did computational physics. Then I did combinatorics the next year with a different professor. I think Euro grad schools are easier to get into and work a little differently but I'm not sure. I wouldn't stress too much about it. Try to get one if you can.

College is a scam anyways. Just become a math monk and freelancer until you reach next level and can start your own company.

anyone know the Ecole Normale Supérieure ?

Hey there second pick

Hopkins
Yes
My degree is in biology. Going for regular MD.
Great school and working with some of the brightest people I've ever met. Living in baltimore is pretty aids though.
Yes.
>Does the school itself?
Yes

>I wouldn't stress too much about it.
I can't not stress about it, I just fucking can't.

>Try to get one if you can.
I have no idea how to, though, and I feel if I were to ask my tutor I'd be wasting his time with my whining, and probably embarass myself in some way or another or something, I don't fucking know.

I attend this school for EE.

Should I end it?

>ywn be tier 1

UIUC is fine for EE. In fact, UIUC is fine for anything.

But I don't wanna be fine, I wanna git gud.

I always get this idea that the stuff we learn here isn't on par with the shit that MIT and Stanford (especially Caltech) kids go through and it just sabotages my entire self esteem and focus in class. I have a 4.0 until now but I still feel inferior because of this

Am I being retarded? Fuck my life.

hmm i didnt expect calstate to be on the list next to stanford and mit.

I'm studying math. I like the school as a whole, but the professors suck. my precalculus teacher cannot teach for shit. i didnt know my school was so prestigious tho. i shouldnt take it for granite

>Caltech
>Cal State

haahahahahahaha