Why can't you get a job at a bookstore unless you look like this?

Why can't you get a job at a bookstore unless you look like this?

Went to my local bookshop today to see if they were hiring, asked to speak with a manager, and I was met by a black woman in a stovepipe hat - I nearly vomited. She took one look at me and turned me away. On the way out I noticed the cashier had one of those bands around the shirt sleeve of his upper arm worn but old western bar tenders and card dealers, as well as a bow tie.

Has Veeky Forums noticed or delt with this?

Get out more, you fucking loser

Where do you live? I have never seen anything like that.

Steamville, Ohio. Why?

Google says steamville ohio doesnt exist.

My local bookstore REQUIRES all applicants to look like this

I used to work at an Oxfam charity shop where I'd just sit reading until a customer came to pay for something. I'd only get like 20 customers a day as well.

>He doesn't dress like a neo-Victorian steampunk spell-slinger

Wow, looks like someone's not living the literary lifestyle.

Been frequenting bookstores in three states over wo decades and I have never seen anything like this. Booksellers on the aggregate are generally more the unstyled hair, glasses, and worn in sweater type in my experience.

have you considered even for just a second that the problem lies with you?

Whom are you addressing?

the bookstore where i live has a similar deal where every employee's reading is limited to stuff like Ready Player One, The Martian, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child etc. so all the featured books in the store end up being things like that. The employees are all "sourced" and "scouted" from the same place which is a café next door which is basically a Reddit-themed diner.

>Reddit-themed diner
Go on.

looks like my PUA crew

The owner of the diner (diner in the loosest sense as the food they serve there is often days old as no visits it) is someone who spams their facebook with "factoids" about Reddit-tier lit and film, as well as decorate their café with "themed" events around stuff like G. R. R. Martin, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, The Martian, the list goes on. Most of his employees are friends of his thirteen year old daughter who shares that taste.

They're also a huge hebephile/ephebophile who got banned from the local high school for perpetually taking pictures of the freshman preformers and hanging the photos on the walls of the café, as well as trying to cover up the rape of an underaged girl by one of his employees.

*local high school plays

>Booksellers on the aggregate are generally more the unstyled hair, glasses, and worn in sweater type in my experience.
But that's exactly the type I am. Why don't I have a job at a bookstore ?

Anything else you can share about that rape? For scientific purposes

go on...

On the one hand, I'm appalled

On the other hand, knowing there's such strangeness in the world fills me with wonder

There's not much else beside the fact that he tries to "score" fifteen year old theatre girls on Facebook despite being forty and looking like Raffi. Although some of the girls he's been obsessed with for years are now slightly older than eighteen. His latest muse is a 15 year old girl who dresses like a loli all the time and who is the schools acting "prodigy."

Also apparently most of their "source food" is a year old and kept in a mildewy basement, who knew. Besides the local theatre kids the only other regular attendee of the café is a blind guy who just sits there for hours on end and who lost his guide dog in some sort of accident.

I started dating a girl from my local high school (before she was in high school, at that) and I'm celebrated every time I return. It's just that nobody likes redditors.