Can AI make art that humans will appreciate and buy?

Can AI make art that humans will appreciate and buy?

One day? Yes.

The magic reasoning that anything humans do can't be replicated and improved by an intelligent enough AI is foolish.

Op here.
I want to be an artist but have no talent.
Im studying CS and wonder if i can still be an artist.

/pol/ here. Your question isn't worth a concrete reply.

You'd have to have a background in the arts to be able to teach an AI the concept of aesthetics as it applies to art.

In faxt, I hate to say it, but AI will hit a dead end if STEM continues to refuse the legitimacy of everything outside itself. A human like AI will need the help of the soft sciences to become a reality.

>no talent
Talent is a meme user. Do you enjoy drawing? Then read some books on it and practice every day.

How did you learn computer science? You received instruction in it, practiced, spent time thinking about it and working at it. There is no reason other than your attitude that you cant do the same with art

since the main purpose of the AI is to be as similar to human as it's possible, yes.

It already is. There is a company that sells logos by a AI

>/po

Stopped reading there.

Yeah i do think so.
I see google doing bs photo filters, but that's not how i learned to draw.
Im mediocre as fuck, but i understand better the process of drawing and painting than google nerds.

I can draw well.
My problem is that i will never reach the level to be a pro artist.
I dont want to be poor.

Not with that attitude you wont.
Also who says you cant get paid for art while still doing something as your day job. My gf works in an art gallery and thats what most of their artists do, even selling $1500+ paintings regularly. You should go to and ask around, quite a few people there who do commission work and can point you in the right direction

Im some random asshole on the internet and i believe in you user, why don't you believe in yourself?

If we make the AI, and the AI makes art, then who made the art, us or the AI?

Question is whether it will be appreciated in the first place. While OPs image is intriguing and emotive enough, it's the output of an algorithm that you can run several million times over the course of a few hours (or days or whatever).

A nice render of some fractal isn't quite art in my eyes, because of the inflationary nature of how it is generated. You can generate millions of those with the press of a button.

But eh ..

No bro, you dont get it.
Pic related is my skill.
Im a hobbeist.
That's fine.
You cant simply tell me to sink years of improvements and hard work simply for a hobby.
Besides, is hard as fuck, a simple illustration will take weeks.

I also would love to be a writer, a 3d artist and a musician, but im average at all those.

I simply cant spend my life trying to be a top musician, writer and painter.

>appreciate

Yes, and as other anons have pointed out, algorithmically generated art has existed for decades before AI became a dumb buzzword (e.g. pics of fractals)

>buy

this is a more complicated question. consider the attitude held towards art forgeries. no serious art collector would want to own a forgery even if he couldn't tell it apart from the original. so it's not just a matter of whether the painting "looks good". our appreciation also stems from knowledge of its cultural context, as well as from mythmaking regarding its creator. when you look at a picasso, you feel a certain reverence towards it that you probably don't feel towards a painting by some random schmuck, even if you've never taken an art history class in your life.

at its heart, art is a form of abstracted human communication. by nature, interpersonal communication is more meaningful when we know the person on the other side. would you rather receive a text from your crush, or a text from an AI trained to simulate your crush's writing style?

Depends on how autonomous the AI is.
If me and my wife make you, and you make art, we didn't make the art. You did.

>/pol/ here

My point is that you can create the most shitty AI program ever and then sell it's random garbage "Art" output as modern art, and every dumb fucking tax evading faggot on the planet will be more than happy to buy it. Have a merry xmass scicuck.

a fully customized sex bot that could also text me cute things would be amazing desu

It always comes to this.

People buy shit in cans as art, they'll buy anything

no, just because some """""""""performance"""""""""" """""""""""""artists""""""""""""" do things like that (usually they're edgy or stupid art students), that is not what most people who are buying art pay for.

Isnt that art just used for money laundering ?

No, by the definition not. To be an artist you need to be human, living a human life.

Of course eventually it'll all become a huge blur and nobody knows for sure any longer. Horrible times ahead folks.

Yes my EPQ was on this, so I'm somewhat of an expert on the topic.

No, because it can be thoroughly replicated with no effort. It has no value whatsoever that would make people pay for it, in fact paying for it would itself be a gimmick akin to that guy who sold a framed print out of a Veeky Forums post.

Can someone prefer to have a print rather than x amount of money? Then it can be sold for a profit. Anything else is fluff.

Can u draw them having sex please

ill buy it off u

there's art that happens without any intelligence.

>inb4 art = artifice

OP, learn about art history.
You don't need to know how to 'draw'.
Try to find some interesting artists you can somehow emulate.
Jeff Koons is mostly an investment banker.
Richard Prince takes pictures of pictures.
Wim Delvoye made a shit making machine.
Etoy was into hacktivism.
ORLAN used to work with plastic surgery.
The year is almost 2017, OP.
Open your mind, ffs

>/pol/ here

LOOK THIS MAN IS AN ENTIRE BOARD!!! OMG ARE YOU GOD?

OP i'm in the reverse situation.
I'm a skilled artist and 3D modeler and want to start getting more into math and coding. Feels like I'll never have the time.

You have to go back

/x/ here. Your reply is worth a concrete question.

Appreciate, yes. Buy, no.
What would a machine do with money?

Yeah OP, there's nothing in your question about jews or muslims, stop wasting our time!

the machine would have an owner/creator obviously dude use your brain

AI dont have souls though, humans do. Well most humans.

but youre not paying for the owners/creators machine but because the owner/creator is not capable of producing this kind of art you would only pay the machine for its creation.

all I wanted to say is when we reach the point of AI made art, all we are going to pay is the material.

So when you buy a car, you give your money to the robot that assembled the parts, do you?

a human is capable of building a car
a human is not capable of imitating the process behind AI art

obviously dude use your brain

/po/ did nothing wrong.

kek

yes, of course. not in the next 70 years though, so my job's pretty safe.

If you think that whatever AI pushed out so far is even close to being art than you didn't appreciate art in the first place and can go fuck yourself.

art is just a form of communication.
The AI just has to have something interesting to tell.