/r/books

>/r/books

Other urls found in this thread:

dailydot.com/unclick/redditor-infinite-jest/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

HHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAAHA
Fucking nerds

I literally quit using reddit because I got so triggered by /r/books' adoration for that stupid fucking series. the shit they say about hitchhiker's guide... i'm a bitter person i'm gonna go kill myself

>i'm gonna go kill myself
Yay!

>says this while posting an anime

Kill yourself anime pedophile

>one dead weeaboo
/r/books redeemed

first time on Veeky Forums in like 3 years. why is there a stigma for the japanese now

anime is for people who never emotionally matured

it really is impossible to leave for good

What do you guys think of this fresh spicy post?

Posting anime is equivalent to posting ponies.

haha Too True XD

Wow, that's so true! Hahaha, great insight! This is why I come to the internet, so I can talk to other geeks about stuff that most people are too busy watching sports to take an interest in!

Hermione Granger and Sherlock Holmes, what is it about the British tradition that consistently results in the production such captivating, intelligent characters? OH GOD I LOVE BOOKS XD

Who is Hermoine? Is that her new black name?

What is it about reddit and having that really stuffy, dull surface-level imitation of English humour? All that "sir" and "m'lady" and thinking that rephrasing things in purple prose is hilarious ("Greetings; my given name is Richard Harrison and the facility we have entered is a retail establishment that specializes in unredeemed goods.." and the like)

annoying pro-choice dweebs congregate there

Truer words have never been spoken.

I usually browse a few niche-interest subreddits and some of the serious askreddits. Haven't gone on neckbeard subreddits for a while, but it looks like reddit is the new tumblr.

Veeky Forums attracts nerds too, though. But the much cooler, more self aware kind. Reddit is just the worst type of people. They're not "normies" but they're insufferable for other reasons.

More than anything, I hate their constant and obnoxious faux optimism. They use way too many exclamation marks, and always act so over the top "friendly" and "tolerant" while also being passive aggresive weasels who viciously censor anything that goes against the image they want to give off. The sheer amount of deleted/removed posts on Reddit is terrifying. It's dystopian.

They're so fucking lame.

Idk but one time at the restaurant i work at this big group of redditors came in and i knew immediately what they were, fat, over weight, bearded, ugly button up shirts, nerd glasses. They all ordered bacon cheeseburgers and i was called "good sir" at least twice.
You can see them coming from a mile away

>used reddit, ever
we dont want you here

same for you op

kek

t. nerd
fuck you, im going to break ur glasses adnd take ur lunch money next time i see you just for posting on my website

It's just angry redditors.

literally wut

Most Veeky Forums users outside of /b/, /pol/ & /r9k/ are the quiet guys who know a lot about niche interests. They can hold a conversation and are typically alright.

Most redditors are one bad breakup away from creating a suicide thread on /r9k/.

Undergrad kids who got into reading just a few months ago really want to fit in with the "smart pepulz". Liking anime is very antithetical to that, as it turns out.

Stop caring so much. Any reddit-hating thread is 10x worse than anything posted on there, at least what they post is interesting and not "omg look at reddit, fags".

>weeb

I agree, being a pedophile is antithetical to being a smart person, as they have on average a significantly lower IQ than normal people.

Fair enough. Maybe you should go back there, then, and never post here again.

CRASH

Underage faggots started watching filthy frank and try to mimic everything he says and does.

There's a lot of hate for hitchhikers guide here. I read them when I was like 10, they aren't literary masterpieces but they were good books for a 10 year old me, and hold a special place in my heart.

>Someone liked this post so much they paid money to thank the poster

Who?

Damn, that's what the little star next to it means, doesn't it? That's fucked up.

kek, is this true?

>God of the OT

>tfw reposting r/books comments on Veeky Forums
hate to break it to you boys... nowhere is safe now.

yes (the money goes to reddit, not the poster)

yeah you can guild a post (for only $3.99), which puts a star next to the post and gives the poster access to an exclusive "gold only" subreddit for 1 month

that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard

>mulberry

you don't come here much?

Veeky Forums is bad, but reddit is worse.

why the fuck would you post reddit here you fucking shithead?
fuck's wrong with you?
kys

i just got it, never mind. how do I delete this post?

your text combined with your image gave me a hearty laugh

Holy... I want more

Reddit. True patricians love anime, especially Utena.

This can't be true.
>google it
>it's actually true
God damn it. I used to mildly dislike reddit, but now I hate it with great passion.

anime website, you cucks.

A true patrician would never watch anime.

Take this!
Yeah, agreed. Redditors enable each other by encouraging weak behavior and complacence.
Holy... I want s'mores

Also quit Reddit because of that. They go on about how witty and funny it is and I read it and I didn't laugh once. I'm not surprised a suggestion like that comes from a forum that worships Deadpool though desu.

I think it's that pseudo-intellectualism as a whole is really noncommittal.

>But the much cooler, more self aware kind.

It's what you'd expect of a place what you say maters and who you are doesn't.

The truly sad gildings are in the deadbedrooms reddit. People have no one else to share their misery with so anyone slamming their frigid wife gets gold.

How much do they make from that? Meanwhile Veeky Forums is basically impossible to monetize.

yeah dude why has nobody thought of writing a book that takes place in the span of a single day dude

This is the type of shit I thought about when I was ten, and I'm a fucking dunce. Who are these people and why can't they just stick to cable tv like the rest of the idiots?

You're definitely outnumbered and have been for years.

Could have just posted Ulysses

is that book any good? serious question

went and looked up that thread just to see if something that stupid could be real. reddit never disappoints. disappointed nobody tore him to shreds in the comments desu

i dont remember it being anything special. i preferred solar/enduring love

There's also Ulysses.

Travesty by Hawkes probably takes place over the course of an hour or two since the premise is just guy takes his daughter and her boyfriend on a drive with the intention of crashing the car and killing all of them, and it starts with them all already in the car.

Also Agapē Agape is just a rant so it could conceivably take place in an hour or less.

Only plebs give a shit about other plebs. This is on the same level as those manchildren complaining about their video game toys.

>weebcuck

>not posting Ulysses
I'm triggered

he says whilst giving a shit about other "plebs"

>I guess /r/books is innocent enough, if a bit pseudo-

>disappointed nobody tore him to shreds in the comments
Oh, I'm sure they did. I don't think you understand Reddit. You're absolutely not allowed to be "negative" at all. Even constructive criticism has to be prefaced with an apology, and then ended with another apology for daring to do anything but agree and say "good job :) "

The moderators almost certainly just removed every post that didn't jerk off the OP and stroke his ego. The posters were also probably banned immediately.

The only posts allowed in that cesspit of censorship are coddling comments. Also puns, but only completely PC, Pg-13 ones that couldn't potentially offend anyone.

Thats what's fucked up about Reddit. The reason users are all so faux upbeat all the time and tiptoe around each other's feelings so carefully is because if they don't, they'll be punished. Down votes, having posting rights removed, being banned, those are all the price for transgressions.

Every Reddit thread reads better if you imagine the posters sweatings profusely and while carefully, nervously avoiding saying anything mean or offensive. They all have forced smiles, straining. Their eyes reveal desperation and mortal terror. Silent but ever present moderators menace just behind them, watching. Waiting.

that's the joke isn't it

>the kid is an unrelatable character

You should take a look at Voat's books section.

I'm sure the mods there will appreciate the page views.

I'm fucking dying

>Says "pretentious" 4 times

Fucking hell, I never knew it could be this bad.

YeCarthy actually is a pretentious thesaurus thumping faggot though. This is one of the few times someone on plebbit was right.

>Veeky Forums is basically impossible to monetize
>he doesn't have a Veeky Forums Gold Account

Fucking pleb.

That's reddit for you

This thread makes me so grateful that I have the privelege of browsing Veeky Forums. For so many fucking plebs worldwide, reddit is all they know

dailydot.com/unclick/redditor-infinite-jest/
>Which brings us to jeremy1122. The redditor—who did not respond to request for comment—first popped up in r/books one year ago to offer "An introduction to Infinite Jest." A trifle presumptuous, you might think: There are plenty of intros to this popular but intimidating book online.

>Then you read his actual post.

>I've read the book about eleven times, so I just want say a few words and address people who are thinking about reading it or are just beginning. Before you embark on your journey into the mind of a genius, you have to understand a few things that are very important. When we talk about David Foster Wallace, we’re talking about a man whose I.Q. could not be measured. Past 200, I.Q. tests get imprecise. We don’t know whether we’re dealing with a man with an I.Q. of 200 or 300 or what. We can’t measure it. When it comes to Wallace-tier geniuses, the standard tests simply don’t apply. You see, Wallace could have entered any field he wanted. He was a real-life Will Hunting.

Is he, dare I say...

our guy?

And he's still posting.
>Congratulations. You've broken your cherry, so to speak. Maybe you don't want to hear about this, but let's just say you're not the first person to soil their pants with poop or pee while reading Wallace, and if you stick with him and keep reading, this little incident isn't going to be your last. Among Wallace devotees, this is such a common occurrence that we consider it a sort of rite of passage. Some guys in the newsgroups even post pictures. Most of it's tame, but I have seen some unholy carnage.

A visit to r/games:
>I learned recently about a video-game term that teenagers these days throw around: "overpowered," or "OP" for short. If a character type in a competitive video game is inordinately more powerful than the others, then it is "overpowered"; the game as a result is deemed "unbalanced," and fans will complain on forums that the developers have delivered to them a swift "slap in the face." It's an interesting metaphor. Life, of course, is no game, and it's a truism that it isn't fair. But every once in a while we get a striking reminder of how unevenly Mother Nature distributes her gifts. Take the literary world for instance. By any measure, David Foster Wallace, the author of the acclaimed novel Infinite Jest, was overpowered. If he were a class in a role-playing game, then you wouldn't hear the end of the complaining. When it came to the writing of fiction, Wallace blew his competitors—historical and contemporary both—out of the water. To borrow another term from video gaming, it's fair to say that he "owned" them. When Infinite Jest hit book stores in February 1996, the title's two words were in the mouth of every serious reader in America; every living writer, however, was faced with a different pair of words: "Game Over."

He's absolutely right.

Hitchhiker's Guide is actually really good though. Don't know why you lads hate it

>Not knowing your postwar soviet classics.
>Or mrs Dalloway, or fucking Ulysses, etc..

That Redactor probably thinks he invented circadian novels.

>Some guys in the newsgroups

cover blown, like any David FRAUDSTER Wallace reading millennial even knows what a newsgroup is

legend

pleb

The downvote system means negative shot rarely gets seen. In my brief foray into reddit a few years ago someone posted a thread asking what books would be considered 'classics' in 50 years. One popjlar post suggested Harry Potter. I made a comment along the lines of 'the most popular genre fiction of the day may still be read in 100 years or so, but that's not really what a classic is, I don't think Harry Potter should sit on the same shelf as Joyce, Proust, Conrad etc.'

I was absolutely crucified, three or four different people commented telling me to shut up and stop being such a pretentious asshole and that I didn't know what fun was and I got like 30 downvotes

ITT:
Pseuds circlejerk about popular literature

>>Hahahhhahahahahjajhaahhahajajjajajajajajajajajajajjajhahahahahja HITCHIKERS GALAXY, HARRY POTTER, SHERLOCK HOLMES, such mindless rubbish am I right family?

Now shut your cunt mouths and give me (you)

make more videos demo you lazy fuck