I was thinking of posting this in /adv/, but then I remembered how garbage it is...

I was thinking of posting this in /adv/, but then I remembered how garbage it is, and that this question isn't solely advice.

Regardless, I wanted to know, with sufficient time and dedication, if someone can develop a "mathematical" and logical mindset. Specifically, I want to know if someone with poor logical and problem-solving facilities can improve their mind such that he can go beyond just solving an equation.

It's hard to explain what I mean, so I'll try to give clarification in the form of a concrete example that I experienced: I can solve differential equations, handle integrals, and what not, but only if I am presented with examples and remember how those "templates" are solved. If a problem is given that didn't have a "template," but does build upon what was presented beforehand, then I won't be able to solve it 90% of the time. I've seen others solve them by using some interesting algebraic maneuvering or by creatively applying a theory.

Thus, with all said, is it possible to train the brain to creatively use what one has learned to solve problems instead of just regurgitating the textbook and the professor, and if so, has any user here achieved doing it? I need to know, or I might as well kill myself right now.

Please enjoy smug-chan as a thank you

yes
all you need to do is practice more
think of it like learning to play a musical instrument
at first you can only play what's written in front of you after a long time spend rehearsing, then slowly you will learn to sight read, and with yet more effort and time you'll be able to improvise
do a little a day and try not to skip any days

After reading the OP, I was hoping there would be a lengthy discussion going on itt. But this is basically all I was looking for anyway.

Yes OP you can!
I used to be horrible at math and was laughed at by my peers and even teachers.
Practice, patience and determination is the key to what your looking for.

10,000 hour rule

I figured as much, but I hope I don't prove to be the exception, but I digress. My next question is this: what should I, and others like myself, practice with? There's a lot a shit under math, and I'm unsure where to start to improve my "creativity," if you will.

A good excersice is being able to visualize what you see in a formula.
With 3-multiple integrals or less it's pretty easy. Make drawings and shiz.
Then with 4th dimensional stuff you have to try hard and picture it as something that changes with time etc.
With limits, make a graph.

Try to de-abstractize everything.

Interesting! I suppose this will help with problem-solving too?

>but only if I am presented with examples and remember how those "templates" are solved

You're not understanding concepts and learning how to turn the crank and solve by pattern matching.

The working through the 4 books from the Gelfand Correspondence Program (Method of Coordinates, Functions and Graphs, Algebra, Trignometry) might help you break out of the mold of just turning the crank on familiar problems. There's also "How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method" by Polya that will give you various strategies of approaching problems. You can follow up Polya with "Problem-Solving Through Problems" by Larson which deals with more difficult problems.

>and solve by pattern matching
I believe I can pattern match okay, which is how I passed some of the courses I took, a bit with only a C. But thank you for the recommendations, user!

Yes. It will accelerate it like crazy if you try.

I'd recommend getting an engineering physics textbook, or even an upper division level physics text like Taylor's Classical Mechanics. Some of the problems in Taylor are fucking bullshit though.

But with physics, not only do you have to do the math, you have to set up the equation and figure out how the math applies in a realistic situation. I find it more satisfying than doing math for the sake of math.

Considering I'll be a NEET for a bit, I'll be doing nothing but that.

Looks like I'll have to rev up those torrents; however, I haven't taken any serious physics courses.

Anyway, thanks for the help, anons! I hope this thread helped others in a similar situation. These questions were originally for one of my math professors, but he got fired before I could ask him.

This is true. Yet don't think you can make a weakness a strength. You can definitely improve on the mindset, and make it encompassing.. But don't think you will be top 5% if it isn't already something that comes natural to you.

Eliminate your weaknesses. Double-down on your strengths.

I have no strengths, bud. That's why I'm trying to improve something I want to be decent at and try to strengthen my mind in general. Being in the 5% in anything has never crossed my mind.

Find your strength, or what you're best at! We all have them. Some people never find them tho..

Fuck. When I saw your picture I was like: Is that the girl from Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko?

But then was like no, it can't be. She looks a bit off. But then

SHIT NIGGA THAT'S HER. I thought that manga was too underground for Veeky Forums but holy fuck, there is one other guy who reads it.

I'm unsure if that's true, but I'll try regardless, or I'll have to off myself.

Threads do pop up now and then, but it going on hiatus every other fucking day doesn't help its popularity. I'd be great if Misuzu somehow won though. Jin deserves a smugjob

You can always start at the basics make sure you have tour table of multiplication down/ also starting in physics is the best way to boost OP's iq the guys right about physics also make sure your time table is followed this will ensure your ready to learn every session both mentally and emotionally, consciencly and sub-conscincly :) gl OP.
You have an awesome journey ahead of you

You can you just need time and effort

I don't agree that you can get better at it.
Maybe marginally through recognizing patterns in similar concepts, but not inherently better.
Being able to abstract / conceptualize new systems quickly is intelligence which can't be worked out like a muscle.

You can do it, but it will take longer and be harder for you.
For instance I am a brainlet, thus even trivial concepts baffle me for what seems like a lot longer than my peers.
But, with perseverance I come to understand them - but this doesn't make the next concept easier.

no u can't and you're actually retarded

Nah. Unless you are retarded you can learn and dominate arithmetics and algebra like a pro.

15yo I teach sometimes have achieved it through an intensive POV-focused program I morphed from some famous guy, and they learn a little slow at the beginning, but as long as they start dominating arithmetics and algebra completely, they are like an unstoppable missile.

Maybe you can find out what I do. Are you dumber than the undeveloped brain of a 15yo kid?

read Book Of Proof

it's an open source textbook which teaches this skill

then read The Art Of Problem Solving

i did this during my math undergrad and now mathematicians HATE me!

Many years ago when I was in high school, I was sitting in my math classroom listening to the professor write our next math question on the chalkboard. At the time, we had been trained to complete the problem a specific way, but I was pondering why it was solved that way. Every time I learned a new asset of trig or algebra, I would go to my house and reverse engineer the question and attempt to look at it from another angle, and keep in mind, I acquired this mindset by myself.

Question Everything...
Wonder why certain things work...
Always be willing to learn...
Think outside the box...

You will make it, I promise.

discredited garbage.

15 is probably the limit for getting good. if you haven't specialized in a field by that age you will never get good at anything. at best you will become mediocre at something you throw 10s of thousands of hours into.

Solve problems you don't already know how to solve. Try looking at problems and exercises in highly regarded books like Rudin, Artin, etc. Repeat as necessary across multiple books and subjects.

>I believe I can pattern match okay

You misunderstand, that's not a good thing. It's good to spot patterns in things (which can lead to deeper understanding and making connections) but you shouldn't be doing stuff blind by matching the motions.

this. its like working out.

also check em

>15 is probably the limit for getting good.
It's easier to teach 17 yo and 25yo people.

Just what are you thinking to miss such conclusion?

My big bro just learnt how to algebra because I tried to teach him and now he is already focused in his uni matter.

You need to do what everyone doesn't do. Make a lot of effort

You will never achieve your goals anything if you do what your normal peers do. If anything, you will reach their level, nothing else.

Good luck.