How did you decide between majoring in math or physics?

How did you decide between majoring in math or physics?

physics has labs
I didn't want to do labs
therefore math

Makes sense.

>Do you want to go to graduate school in physics?
Major in math.
>Do you want to go to graduate school in math?
Major in math.
>Do you want to go to graduate school in engineering?
Double major in engineering + math.
>Do you want to go into industry?
Major in engineering.
>Do you want to go into patent law or finance?
Major in engineering, physics, or math.
>Do you want to go into coding or education?
Major in any STEM field.
>Are you being forced to go to university by your parents and think stars are pretty?
Major in physics.

You people are so deluded it's un fucking real.

How so?

are you mad you majored in gender studies?

Because you are fuck off

>not providing an argument

Math is interesting as hell to me, but the thought of writing a thesis in math just bores me incredibly. I'm not saying it's shit, it's pretty fucking cool, but the thought of doing math without applying it to some data in the end is just scary to me.

If you want to go to graduate school in physics, you really should major in physics man.

A math major + physics minor will help you more in grad school.

Black holes, dude. From the perspective I have now I should have taken maths but now I don't care anymore because I understand enough that I can learn the maths stuff by self study.

I decided to get a job so I chose computer science.

Post link to that pls

less practicals less work

Major in math and minor in physics

I am so sorry.

If you want to go to graduate school for theoretical physics then a math major is much better. Most of the basic undergrad stuff in physics isn't worth learning. All you really need to know well is: classical mechanics(enough for QM), GR, QM, QFT, and stat mech. These can be easily handled by just taking some courses or reading a bit instead of taking a physics major. Modern theoretical physics also makes use of a lot of high powered math like diff geo, alg geo, alg top, functional analysis. A math major will likely be prepared to handle this while a physics major might not, just because they might not have bothered to learn any abstract math.

On the other hand if you don't want to do theoretical physics then the math won't be very useful and it's best to major in physics.

>physics has labs

not all

I don't really know what graduate school is to burgers but if you want to do a Master's in physics I'd say the important topics you need to know of are (analytical) mechanics, quantum mechanics, SRT, electromagnetics, thermo and statmech. It would help to know a little bit about optics/waves and GR and introductory particle physics, but the latter two are only really covered properly in the Master's anyway.
A minor will get you pretty far, but it's a bit too much to cover entirely.

You really have no idea of what you're talking about, do you? At least 90% of the stuff you see in math undergrad will never be used in physics research. If you wanna go to grad school in physics, the best path is to major in physics.

I remember that I wanted to become a physicist when I was like 10th grade. I had perfect grades in physics class and I was watching minutephysics, vsauce, etc. like a sucker.

Then I turned 17 and kinda grew up out of the autistic phase of
>lol physics is kewl

Then I turned 18 and out of curiosity I also checked physics curriculum but to my grown eyes most of the classes sounded like memes. And by this time I had also realized how comfy mathematics was, so I just majored in that.

Double in math and physics. No need to decide.

Yeah, double major and drop one to a minor if you can't hack it. But seriously if you don't major in physics, you'll never do well on the pGRE and you won't have enough physics courses to meet minimum requirements, so only shit grad schools will take you.

I wanted to do research in Condensed Matter.
Don't listen to inbred retards like Being a math major puts you in an immense disadvantage when applying to graduate school for Physics.

what's wrong with labs?

>Taking bait.

Double majored.

I enjoy rigor and detailed logic in my mathematics. Also fuck labs.

fucking normie

Actual Physics professors recommend majoring in math over physics if you have to pick one. Speak to an adviser sometime and ask them which undergrad courses are most important.

>>you'll never do well on the pGRE
>implying you can only learn in classes

You're going to struggle like hell in graduate school with that mentality.

I'm not the guy you replied to but I have spoken to physics professors and all said that it's better to major in physics if you want to get into physics grad school.

This. At my university, the mathematics program looked a lot more rigorous than the physics program. I learned later that the physics program at the school was basically a meme, and their math program was very good.