Can someone here tell me how professional traders actually make money in the market? Generally...

can someone here tell me how professional traders actually make money in the market? Generally, what skills and techniques are they using to determine their longs and shorts?

Attached: christian-bale-the-big-short.jpg (707x707, 94K)

Just keep the clients on the ferris wheel

Professional traders are long term traders. Most of their positions range from 1-12 months (it's usually 3 months). FA to determine what to buy. TA to determine when. They always make money because they charge management fee (1-2% of AUM). There's also a performance fee.

They have shit returns because their priority to protect the capital.

Turned .01 BTC on 12/26/2017 into .5 btc today. Just hit .5 btc and i’m ecstatic.

they dont
>90%+ of professional traders lose money in the long run

I've traded futures professionally at a prop firm for 5 years. Active traders(day traders) who enter and exit lots of positions everyday mainly trade off order flow being able to read where buyers and sellers are and most importantly big volume. They are not wed to positions and are mainly scalping. You need to be able to stay calm and remain consistent in applying your strategy and not letting previous trades affect your decision making. Swing trading or holding positions longer term you are more chart focused looking for significant support or resistance but also should pay attentiont o singificant order flow (big buy or sell orders).

Also something no one else talks about here(because they aren't real traders, they just got confirmation bias over the alt bull run and think their indicators are useful in predicitng) is volume. Most of the prop traders I know who have had 7 figure years trade big volume and their gains are more of a reflection of slight edge multiplied by lots of trades as opposed to less frequent trades that they hit out of the park.

What about big volume? Higher volume does not mean prices are going up. It could still go either way. Why is volume so important?

I think that user meant volume in terms of the the size of each trade carried out.

Many traders who are order flow focused (assuming this is the futures markets) are in a trade betting a large amount per movement (whether that movement be point or tick increments), and are in and out very quickly.

>90%+ of professional traders lose money in the long run
but they lose clients money, so it's all good

regardless of whether the price goes up or down, big volume typically indicates that a big move is coming. So if you're on the right side of that move, you can get in and out of trade quickly with good profit before price starts consolidating again.

by shorting idiots like you, they have been doing this since btc at 19,5k you absolute retard

so, basically don't pay attention to indicators and trade based on volume?

He said volumes indicate a big move often, you need indicators and functioning braincells to know which way. Go collect some more pokemon instead of wasting your moms money.

He's talking about the amount of liquidity you trade with, not market volume you fucking mouth breathers.

I thought he was taking about trade frequency (also called volume).

Buy high sell low

go on a low volume coin on say huobi.... put in your price for what you'll pay with btc at 0.0000000001 and i've caused huge dips doing that. a fewtimes even caused a big enough drop in a coin I could buy in and sell at what it was when I first did it and make somechange.

doesnt work everytime but if you put in buy at 0.0000000001 and you buy in that amount 5729521 shares yeah it'll cause a very temp dip and in some cases it's allowed me to just watch the whole market move over 30mins just to catch up.

also it's no different than putting in a bunch of sell orders for say 1trx for 1btc
put a few of those in a row and ive seen very very rarely a coin jump up massively just even temp. I've made a few bucks causing a temp spike and selling when the bots and everyone got in on it and tried to force it up. fun watching people try to counter and force it down so they can get more.

teach me

People will laugh at you for 0.5 btc. But you keep doing your thing. And remember the golden rule.

Never lose money.

I originally thought that too, but they said:
>reflection of slight edge multiplied by lots of trades

which was mentioned separately to their use of the term 'big volume'.

I could be wrong in thinking that they were referring to trade size, but orderflow traders have a tendency of betting big and getting out quickly.

An example of this "in and out quick" sort of trading is this:

The market's come to a resistance point (which translates to large sell limit orders preventing upward movement). However, buyers aren't backing each time they get repelled by sellers who market selling into their buy limit orders.

An orderflow trader may notice this occurring.

They'll wait for buyer's to be momentarily pushed back by seller pressure before entering in on the long side to catch the re-attempt by buyers to push back against that sell pressure.

They'll be in for a few point/ticks of that movement. Then, when they see sell pressure coming back with a vengeance, they're out of their long trade.

good job user, larger portfolios are trickier, but keep going

Honestly I'd rather take the ability to go 50x in a volatile market than just straight up money. Other folios might be more thicc than yours, but if you do the same thing again you'll be at 25 btc
good job user

>Professional traders are long term traders. Most of their positions range from 1-12 months (it's usually 3 months). FA to determine what to buy. TA to determine when. They always make money because they charge management fee (1-2% of AUM). There's also a performance fee.
These are not pro traders, these are pro LARPers who manage boomer-seeded funds.
Pros use either superior analytical and technical positioning they have in the market (Pure arbitrage trading and statistical high/mid frequency arbitrage) either they exploit liquidity inefficiencies (by entering ICOs at 98% discount compared to the plebs for example then dumping on said plebs).
You're welcome.

Also, daily reminder that TA = meme lines.

Objective analysis, control of emotions, risk management, good position sizing, and portfolio management.