Why do so many smart people (Asians) choose engineering over math and physics?

Looking at requirements for undergrad most good engineering programs require low to mid 90s as the cutoff. Physics and math programs tend to be mid to high 80s as the cutoff. Is engineering truly the master race?

>grade inflation is proof of a hard subject
Lol

I thought engineers had the lowest GPAs on average.

OP is talking about the highschool grades required to get into an engineering program.

It's a supply and demand thing. Engineering programs accept a limited number of students and lots of people want to be engineers so the entrance requirements are driven up. For a university to give engineering degrees it needs approval from the society of professional engineers so they can't easily scale up the number of students they accept to meet demand.

They're smart enough to know they can actually get paid.

All STEM subjects have, on average, lower grades than humanities.

Way more money and prestige in engineering.

Unless you're a high level research scientist, there's no prestige in physics or math.

Smart people want money more than research based fulfillment usually.

>Smart people want money more than research based fulfillment usually.

Working in a R&D engineering department is also way more satisfying than doing silly lab monkey work.

desu you can get into rnd with a physics degree

I have friends who work for Lockheed in RnD and they're all physics guys.

If you like math and science and don't hate yourself there is no reason to pick anything else than engineering.

In reality.

the picture on the left side would be engineering and science would be a picture of hundreds of broken glasses aka useless test samples.

bullshit

kek, only if you are a brainlet

Double negatives confuse me. Please re-state in a purely affirmative sentence.

Because engineering actually allows you to apply all that mathematics, physics and chemistry you learn? Not to mention, you actually get work and therefore pay, great pay.

>prestige in engineering.
Agree with the money, but not so sure about the prestige thing. I'm double majoring in physics and engineering right now, and when I just say I'm majoring in physics everyone sucks my dick about how smart I must be, but when I say I'm in engineering they just say, "Oh, good for you," and stare blankly. I don't think enough people know what an engineer actually does to claim it's really prestigious. Of course, when I tell people I'm double majoring in both engineering and physics, they realize I just hate myself and leave me alone.

Learning the in-depth physics and the real-world application of it, nice user, nice.

reason?

Basically physics is now popular under poor and stupid people because of that sitcom.

In upper-middle class and up/industry circles where people actually know what engineering is it is more prestigious, but also where you go to school and what companies you work for is more important.

In academic circles no one is really impressed by either until they know what your research is about. Your bachelors is basically just some background shit no one cares about.

Prestige in the real world not in academia bubble fantasy land.

Because they are harder

Engineering brings pragmatic output.
Physics for uni hugbox and long-term result that may not even work out as intended.

Asians come from a shame culture. You are trying to live up to expectations which are mostly based around wealth.

Europeans are from a guilt culture. You are motivated by some sense of internal guilt that leads to striving to attain greatness as opposed to just wealth.
But the West has been in a process of forgetting itself for a long time. Now all is hedonism and setimntality.

>setimntality.

Sentimentality?

Isn't medicine most popular. Literally every foreign born Chinese kid to my HS went on to study medicine at American colleges

>as he arrives home from yet another exhausting night shift working the grill at the local burger king, he smugly examines his physics BSc hanging on the wall of his crummy roach-infested basement suite apartment. He plops himself down at his crusty computer chair, letting a foul stench of burger grease and sweat emanate through the already-rancid room. He opens his browser to Veeky Forums and begins to type with his stubby, malformed fingers: "kek, engineers are such brainlets..."

To be fair though, academics require no intelligence, only an unthinking drone-like trance of obedience most people refer to as "work ethic."

Kek'd audibly

I've had a different experience.

I have a BS in Physics. Switched to nuclear engineering for my masters', primarily because I shit the bed taking the GRE while sleep deprived(god I fucking hate living in a dorm) and because I slacked on studying. I'm also certain I pissed off one of my uni's physics professors when he was in charge of who gets into the master's program, and admitted everyone who applied except me, including some of the guys who were below me in class. But enough blogging about that shit.

I still get the "wow you're so smart" shit if I say I'm doing nuclear engineering for grad school that I got when saying I was doing physics. The only notable downside is that the antinuke greenfags get all defensive and critical when I say I'm a Nuke.

Dunno if I should do physics or nuke engineering if I go for a PhD. So far I like the nuke stuff but I'm not sure if I like it more than physics.

>Agree with the money, but not so sure about the prestige thing.

Where I am at requires a minimum 3.0 for engineering and a minimum of a 2.0 for math and physics

not an argument

It's discipline.