Why does Veeky Forums hate DFW and Tommy P so much?

Why does Veeky Forums hate DFW and Tommy P so much?

They made some good books desu

What are you trying to pull off here?

You know lit loves T. P. Pynchon. Quit trying to bring him down to Walrus's level.

I tried reading TCOL49 and it was fucking TRASH.

Its only like 150 pages but I had to stop after about 30. Terrible author.

People only ironically like Pynchon.

I see gravity's rainbow and infinite jest lumped together as books for pseuds pretty often on here and I don't know why

GR and Ulysses are lumped together as the top english language works of the 20th c.

some wags spam IJ along with those two as the 'meme trilogy' of Veeky Forums but that itself is just a dumb Veeky Forums meme. everyone who's anyone knows that DFW couldn't write, think, or have any talent

IJ is one of the worst novels ever written

Nah, they're only lumped together because DFW's sincerity tragedy (which is better than his books desu) involves his obvious but insistently denied Pynchon influence

>Reads a half-assed Pinecone novella that the man himself bashed
>Wonders why he doesn't like it

>Reading Pynchon.
>At all.

quality argument, my mate

Lit doesn't hate these authors. The reason you see more hate for these authors than any other authors that are mentioned here so much is because pinecone and DFW are always mentioned, therefor they have a lot more people who express their negative opinion of them in tandem with the people who express positive opinions of them. They wouldn't be so hated if they weren't so well regarded, the reason you don't see people spouting hate for other books, is because they're simply not mentioned as much, the haters keep quiet because they don't feel that a book they dislike is being mentioned to much. So no, don't worry, these authors are well respected.

I do hate DFW though.

Pynchon is a legitimate great

Woo lad, you missed the whole fucking point of what I said, and I tried to be as redundantly clear about it as possible.

DFW isn't well regarded though, outside of a certain pseudo-intellectual circle strictly in North East American Academia he's a joke

“There is time, if you need the comfort, to touch the person next to you, or to reach between your own cold legs... or, if song must find you, here’s one They never taught anyone to sing, a hymn by William Slothrop, centuries forgotten and out of print, sung to a simple and pleasant air of the period. Follow the bouncing ball:

There is a Hand to turn the time,
Though thy Glass today be run,
Till the Light that hath brought the Towers low
Find the last poor Pret’rite one...
Till the Riders sleep by ev’ry road,
All through our crippl’d Zone,
With a face on ev’ry mountainside,
And a Soul in ev’ry stone....

Now everybody—"

probably one of my favorite endings, desu.

i came when i first read
>Now everybody—

How many people on earth got into GP from hearing Lisa mention it on the Simpsons?

yeah, i always thought it should've been named Gravity's Penis

[citation needed]

Other way around, I only got the reference in retrospect. Considering eight year old me wasn't a big fan of Pynchon

I read all of The Counterforce in one day. It was amazing.

Its his worst book. Even pynchon hates it, he wrote it for rent money. Read V.

>rent money
Pynchon has most likely never needed rent money. He wrote it to close up a two books contract, shafting one publisher to get in with a new one.

He does not hate it. Read the introduction to Slow Learner, he wastes two sentences on TCoL49. He states that in hindsight, all he learned when writing V was forgotten when he worked on TCoL49.

His worst is obviously Inherent Vice. Dont bother reading Vineland if you want Pynchon.

TCOL49 is very good still, just not by his standards.

Yeah that guy has no clue, just regurgitating what some clueless imbecile once vomited on his keyboard

Same. It was like being on LSD.

Anyone else read Inherent Vice? It's a pretty fun, easy ready. Very enjoyable. The movie any good?

what makes TCoL49 better than IV, apart from length? i'm not memeing, i think both are on the same level of mediocre.

The Bloom runs deep.

Yeah the movie is excellent. I'm a huge fan. It realises the book very well, although I do think it skimps on the non essential Doc fucking about and messing around bits that would make the movie a bit less dark, but overall it's an excellent adaptation.

How do you interpret the ending?

I'm curious and no one I know reads Pynchon, or literature in general

I basically interpreted it as referring to the lack of control. That rocket is inevitably going to crash over our heads, and there's nothing much we can do about it, except doing things trying to comfort each other. Considering the message of the song is that as time passes everything will meet its end, I kind of saw it as the story saying that the best way to deal with the complete lack of control is to embrace it.

But it's also kind of twisted in that it cuts the narrator off before he invites you to join in the song. The story being cut off at "Now everybody-" also makes sense considering how the book opens "A screaming comes across the sky". Remember that the book always made a big deal about how you see the rocket before you can hear it coming, and this is emulated in the book's opening and closing lines.

Now everybody--
A screaming comes across the sky.