Are there any books that are of Biblical tales but in an actual narrative form...

Are there any books that are of Biblical tales but in an actual narrative form, and not some stupid fancy poetry or whatever the Bible and Quran is?

What about for other religions like Islam?

Basically, I'm looking for something like The Ten Commandments, The Passion of the Christ, or The Message but in book form.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x482hmn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lattimore's translation of the New Testament.

>not some stupid fancy poetry or whatever the Bible and Quran is?

We've reached levels of pseudointellectualism that shouldnt be possible

A time for everything by knausgaard

I dont think youve ever read the bible.

Aside from stuff like Psalms and Ecclesiastes (which are excellent) and Leviticus (an interesting historical list document) most of exodus, all of kings I and 2, Job, apocrypha like Maccabees and the entire New Testament except revelations and I guess the actual letters of Paul and James (which are in letter format) is narrative.

this

>yeah the Bible is totally a narrative, except for half the fucking book which isn't

>half

I dont think you have read the bible. There is no "poetry" except in text prayers until after the Pentateuch and histories.

There are actually quite a lot of poetical structures evident in the Pentateuch. Mostly remnants due to editing and it is difficult now to see them as poetry due to our poor understanding of ancient Hebrew poetics from that era. But a good proportion of it was believed to have been written as poetry.

I understand that, but from our greek>latin>english translations it is hard to argue that in its current form something like Exodus or Kings II could ever be construed as poetry as we know it.

paradise lost

Is poetry.

Islam you'll have to dive into Hadith literature, standard books they sell usually run around a few hundred pages and include more "important " hadiths, many contain small stories. Alternatively you can pick up biographies or histories for significant people, Muhammad being the most obvious choice. Muslim authors are more likely to liven things up with more dramatic descriptions that would be more entertaining, western texts are more dry.

It doesn't exist in narrative form for Islam because it was never originally recorded in narrative form, it's all oral histories of individual events told by individual people all loosely cobbled together by scholars. "Guy said to dude who said to me that Muhammad was walking down the road when..." shit like that.

If you will consider something other than a book, you can try the TV series "Omar", but it's rather slow and focuses on a lot of small details that will just bore you without any context or if you don't give a shit about Islam.

It rhymes

Where can I watch the show? Preferably for free.

It was officially uploaded to youtube with subs, but the English sub version is gone now for some reason. You can try this: dailymotion.com/video/x482hmn

If you've ever watched the Romance of the Three Kingdoms tv series, something I would recommend more despite it being off topic, it's set like that. If you actually make it through the beginning the pace will pick once fighting breaks out. It's historically accurate, but more accurate to how Muslims originally recorded the history than anything, so keep that in mind if anything feels biased.

Thanks user.

Josephus

I recommend killing yourself op

it's so dense; every single page has so many things going on

This. I'm surprised someone else has read it but I'm glad to hear it. It's really a wonderful book, I prefer it to My Struggle even though I think that's incredible.

>"I will make you fishers of men."

Whoa whoa whoa, slow it down there Bill Shakespear.

I'd rather not.

Joseph and his brothers by Thomas Mann