Is 27 quite old to publish your debut novel?

Is 27 quite old to publish your debut novel?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Ray_Pollock
nationalbook.org/5under35.html#.V-1ODCPyBaX
newyorker.com/magazine/2010/06/14/20-under-40-fiction
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no

Why not?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Ray_Pollock

Nah its a bit young if anything, 32 is the golden point

Inspirational. You like his work?

Ive only read "The Devil all the Time" which I thought was pretty a pretty good noir novel.

Not true at all. DFW was already three books in at that point, as are most authors worth their salt.

>DFW
>worth anything

Besides we're talking about today where adolescence is extended

Tao Lin had already written a book of poetry, short stories and three novels by the time he was 32, which is when Taipiei was published. Seriously you're in way beyond your depth here.

Tao cmon. Walking around Brooklyn going to shitty coffee shops you can see 10,000 of those books.

>Tao Lin

kek, do you even know any writers that aren't hacks?

Tao Lin has been and will continue to be published by some of the most respected publishing houses in existence. Meanwhile you're eating hot-pockets in your mom's basement working on your 1,500 page novel that not a single person will ever take the time to read.

Look Tao, I know your love life has its ups and downs, but you need to stop taking it out on anons online, or at least get a trip

What a pathetic question to ask.

I suggest killing yourself in a timely and efficient manner.

I can tell you apart from other posters pretty well by now

Tell me which others posts I have made plz, I am intrigued.

Anywhere from 26 - 32 is considered about average for publication, I would think. Hemingway, Steinbeck, Pynchon, Melville, Joyce (taking into account publication dates), Gaddis, and a good number of Veeky Forums's heroes were 26-27 when they published their first novel. Shakespeare was probably around that age when he started writing plays, taking into account how many time Titus Andronicus had been performed by 1594.

Yes, you should give up already old man.

I wouldn't bother reading anything written by anyone below 20, and I'm being generous. I don't give a fuck how talented you are with words, you don't have life experience enough to accompany them

Authors typically have a later maturation date than other kinds of artists. An effective novel calls for the experience and roundedness that comes with age.

Is this was virgins on Veeky Forums actually believe?

Don't make me post the list of 75 or so well-regarded novelists who were published by the age of 25.

agreed, if I go back and look up the ages of the author at the time of writing every single book I've read I'm sure there'd be a bunch of disagreements- but even this year every book written by a 25 year old, no matter how good, has glaring flaws related to their age (and I say this being the same age)

Name seventeen books published this year by someone under 26

>the one or two guys ( 2 to 3 odds it's actually Tao or a personal friend of his ) who have to bring up/defend him in every other fucking thread

uh
he was 32 in 1994

The Broom of the System (1987)
Girl with Curious Hair (1989)
and some essays, he was 34 when IJ came out

Homegoing and The Girls were the ones I was thinking of, both those authors are about 26 now I think, but they don't have their birthdays on their wikipedias
publishers have been kind of shady with the ages of debut writers, I think they want to have people assume they're like 25 when they're really closer to 35 in a lot of cases

also read the bios of these authors if you get bummed out...9 out of 10 times the ones under 30 went to Columbia or Iowa or some other top mfa program, of course they have a leg up

another example, she's 30 but I would have assumed like 24

You only get 10 years of notice, so why waste it when you're young and dumb?

rage about this lol

nationalbook.org/5under35.html#.V-1ODCPyBaX

>One of Hemingway’s most important pieces of advice on becoming a writer was – “What every writer needs is an absolutely earthquake-proof shit-detector. Every real writer has one.”
>This is a case where you need one.
>Your teachers and professors have lied to you, my friends. While latent talent and reservoirs of creativity may be absolutely essential ingredients in becoming a real writer, these things can do almost nothing by themselves. They are, by themselves, not worth the proverbial bucket of warm spit.
>We all know there are youthful prodigies in mathematics. Indeed, by the age of 30, most true mathematicians are over the hill. If they haven’t made their bones by then, they almost certainly never will.
>There are near-infant prodigies in music. (At the age of two, so the story goes, little Mozart would toddle downstairs in the middle of the night and play an unresolved chord on the harpsichord, knowing that his father would have to get out of bed and come downstairs to resolve it.)
>There are artistic prodigies such as Picasso. It’s reported that Andrew Wyeth was so proficient in drawing with charcoal when he was about seven that his instructor, his father N.C., banned him from drawing with it for at least a year so he wouldn’t fall behind in learning his skills with other media.
>There are no novelist prodigies. None. Nada. Zero. Zip. Zilch.
>It’s true that some young people have a better ear for language and innate sense of storytelling than perhaps 99% of the rest of the population, but becoming a writer demands years and decades of experience as a human being – who wants to read anything by even the most gifted callow 18-yr.-old? – and then more years and decades of apprenticeship to the Word.

>There are no novelist prodigies.

John Kennedy Toole wrote a novel at 16. Matthew Lewis wrote The Monk when he was 17. Bret Easton Ellis wrote Less Than Zero when he was 20. I could go on but I wouldn't want to embarrass Dan "literally who" Simmons

newyorker.com/magazine/2010/06/14/20-under-40-fiction

I've only heard about 5 of these people and read 2, really liked 1.

cheer up Veeky Forums

>prodigy
>brett easton ellis

>the inventiveness and the vitality of contemporary American fiction

Do you only read shitlords?

S.E. Hinton had The Outsiders published when she was like twelve.