How do I reach sebastian level?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/user_challenges/3670373
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

quit your job
inb4 read 4 pages a day

I feel you, I've only done 32

I read more than that and I'm drunk almost all the time

why does it matter?Reading isn't a chore, or a job,you don't need to reach a quota before a certain date.

Could be that you just read closer, which is (in my opinion) far more respectable than someone who basically plows through a bunch of material with nothing more than a rough recollection and understanding.

Alternatively, you just might not have as much time to read as these people you're referring to, which is fine too. I read about 15-25ish books a year, and I'd like to read more but I don't have the time currently. It is how it is.

I'm around 20 and it feels like a lot
Got bogged down with a few longer books.
Why would you force yourself?

So far I'm at 24 books, 5 poetry collections, and about a dozen graphic novels / trades. I'm content with this.

I've read 2

I'll probably have read a hundred by the end of the year but I'm a neet, I wonder how other anons do it.

Which books are they?

Republic and The Prince

>Could be that you just read closer, which is (in my opinion) far more respectable than someone who basically plows through a bunch of material with nothing more than a rough recollection and understanding.
I don't know how other people read, so I cannot say if I read closer than others.

I do highlight everything I find interest in books an re-read some of them later.

That isn't a lot.
Were they annotated?

no I just don't read books a lot

>mfw I read 8 books this year

I've read like 4 and I'm still a hoopy frood

I haven't read a single book this year.

I'm still on my first book

The Black Company

I rike it

Do people really count how many books they read per year

do you also count how many times do you fap a year or what

also do you want a medal if you've finished a lot of books

i know this will make me sound like a snob but w/e: reading and (trying) to actually analyse, say, for example five serious philosophical works has much more merit than reading 500 shitty novels desu

i feel you, i read only 25 (like a subhuman),
my goal was 24 so I would read every two weeks but somewhere I realized that there is more possible but I'm not taking my potential to the fullest like an idiot

>do you also count how many times do you fap a year
It's hard to lose track of zero.

Why do you need so much books? lol

Holy shit just give up. Books are obviously not for you

I'm at 22 and 9,096 pages

My goal for the end of the year is 30 books and 10,000 pages (which I'm definitely going to surpass since I'm reading War and Peace and a 500 page+ book on Central Asian history)

I'm gonna read some short novels to bridge the gap, just started on Slaughterhouse Five and Stoner and have to read All Quiet on the Western Front for a class.

I don't feel like a subhuman since most of what I read has been pretty hefty material

>the You need to satisfy a page quota it to feel subhuman

I read plenty of hefty material and still feel like a subhuman lol

are you trying to make yourself read very long or difficult books that aren't clicking with you? if it's taking you more than too weeks to read a book under 600 pages time to drop it and move on
there's lots of great novellas and plays you could be reading if you feel like you're in a rut

17 books this year.

Really trying to pick up the pace to get to my goal of 30 by January.

im almost done my first one. white noise, its pretty shit. might just move on to the next one

it's been about 4 years since I've read a book, but I feel like I've read enough shitposts on Veeky Forums in that time that it probably equates to a respectable number of books

you've thought wrong

you guys are depressing me

It's not that hard to read 100 pages per day being a normie with school and/or work

700 pages per week is like 1,5 books per week,

If you're a neet then you can read 200 to 300 per day,

>do you also count how many times do you fap a year or what
I fap 3 times a day. It's easy to calculate my yearly faps.

It sounds like you don't have a job so no wonder.

ayyy

Getting on a hundred. Commuting time helps. Relaxed reading before bed helps. Actually wanting to read something, can you imagine?, mostly, helps.

People use goodreads I guess. I can only tell because I've tagged most of them on Calibre

Five works of philosophy might be well and fine for you, but if you read for fun then you're bound to go through more pieces of writing. Pushing yourself to read a greater volume improves your reading skills, allowing you to analyze and absorb books faster than before.

35 isn't that bad desu

>3 times a day
what are you, 15?

17 books this year should i just kms rn

lonely

I'm a faggot who gets bored when not challenged, so I spend a long time reading books that are above my level, like Ulysses and books written in other languages, instead of reading a long list of books in rapid succession. For this reason I have only finished less than ten books this year.

Also because I went through a phase for about half the year where I was just playing video games and doing other subhuman activities instead of reading.

I've finished 0 books this year

Reading more than that means you are a filthy skimmer, a real showboat.

>Sebastian has read 731 of 100 books in 2016.

goodreads.com/user_challenges/3670373

You don't. You realize that reading in a completionist manner to satisfy some quota is a foolish, childish impulse that is more damaging to your soul than not reading at all. You then read what you like, when you like, and at your own pace. And you begin to really enjoy reading

y are u even on this board

>got excited to consider how many books I've read so far this year
>realize that Plato's complete works only counts as 1
>my average is fucked

>"Hey user, you read a lot, how many books have you read this year?"
>"uhhh"

yeah I'm calling bullshit on this, that's more than two books a day and the books he claims to have read are quite dense

either he is a neet or lying

honestly when i was NEET I was pumping out 8-14hrs reading time daily

If you count how many books you read in a year, you have a problem mate.

idk about counting, but why is it strange to keep a record of the books you read
unless he's a speed"reading" freak

That's not strange, but if you're like "Oh noes, I only read 30 books this year, woe is me" you have a problem and should find another hobby.

Reading is not a hobby. It's a consumption-based activity.

How do I reach Quentin level?

who?

he is neet

I've started three books this year, finished none and instead am reading a shitton of essays not for their literary content.

Most people on Veeky Forums don't read much more. If you read 35 books this year, you read like 30 more books than the average person.

Be an autistic pleb with awful taste in literature who worships Fitzgerald as a god.
Also shitpost on /v/

average person reads 0 books a year my man

Bastian has posted quite a few times that he's been in a psychiatric facility for months, that gives you lots of time for reading.

But yeah, reading only 20 or 30 books per year should get you banned here, no wonder the quality of this board is so sub-par!

It isn't a race, stupid frogposter. 35 isn't so bad as long as you actually comprehended those books, maybe reread some of them, and enjoyed yourself.

>But yeah, reading only 20 or 30 books per year should get you banned here, no wonder the quality of this board is so sub-par!
you're a retard son

I think you wanted to use
>your a retard

Lost count but I probably read 30, some shorter, some longer. Things like 1984 are read in three days while Storm of Steel took me maybe two weeks. Also Quijote dragged me down by a lot.

expand on that point.

Would you visit a music board filled with people who admit that they only listen to music every few days? Would you visit a tv board with users who rarely watch TV? Would you visit a /d/ where people don't clench their dick-girls 24/7? Would you visit an /r9k/ where people visit their parents' basement only twice a year? etc. pp.

>tfw i read 2 books this year because i was obbligated

You need to become an avid reader and don't stop

I've read seven books this year

>Republic
that's finr. this one isn't meamt to be read and understood in only a few days. plus as you weren't busy with a different book straight away I guess your thoughts kept circling around this one for longer.

You do fine. don't you worry.

I once went to an university course in philosophy / aesthethics. We read homo ludens which is a nice book really. however in those 4 months we only reached page 32. But all those 32 pages - oh god, we knew them so well!
I felt really satisfies afterwards. it was such a different way to deal with a book with that guy.

Are you guys reading because you like reading or are you reading because you want people to know you're reading? I don't see any point in counting how many books you've read unless you're trying to make it into a competition.

I couldn't tell you how many books I've read last week. Do you count rereads or short stories?

>Do you count rereads or short stories?
well, someone mentioned graphic novels.

i like to keep track of everything i've read in a given year. i don't number it, and don't feel the need to fulfill a certain quota, but for the sake of a thread like this i can easily count everything i have listed.

I don't watch tv and movies every day and I still go on /tv/, I don't play videogames and I still go on /v/. The most common activity you might find me doing is reading and writing, and yet I don't count how many books I've read, or how many pages I've turned. There is nothing noble in having a larger belt under which you've fit more books because on the scale of the universe there are thousands and thousands of great books you could but will never read, and a million more pages than you could ever imagine touching. So I read for my pleasure, when I'm done with any studying, done with any schoolwork, I can sit down quietly and read for a couple hours before going to bed. I wouldn't have it any other way, I wouldn't want any other ulterior reason to read than too relax, and immerse myself in the many true or not tales of unfelt experiences and unseen worlds. And when I'm finished with a book, I don't rush out to get a new one, but I may come on Veeky Forums to see if their are any great classics I've missed, or I go to my stack and start reading anything I haven't started, and I slowly begin again, maybe lazily, maybe with effort, but before I know it its been a month or two passed, and I'm still reading relaxed and at my leisure.

Fitzgerald had a pretty good translation of The Odyssey IMHO

I've read 20 books of the odyssey

>goodreads.com/user_challenges/3670373
He could go for 1000

I have been counting this year so I can set a sort of standard for myself.

Though I do agree with your point. Plowing through books for the sake of hitting an arbitrary goal is probably detrimental to the whole process of, and reason for reading. Realizing this, I have tried recently to read more often out loud, or at least very deliberate subvocalization, and revisit books I've already read, and in general take my time. Some I have reread entirely.

Even if you read at a moderate pace over 10 years you can read and reread a huge number of books, so there is no need to rush through them. But I also think having some sort of benchmark can be helpful whether its 50 pages per day, or 30 books in a year.

I've read 10 books of the bible

I've only read 15 and everyone thinks of me as a big reader.

>graphic novels

Wrong board kiddo

Read one book per life.

Quantity means absolutely nothing. One of my friends has a doctor in philosophy. He reads maybe 3 fiction books per year, but his observations BTFO all the stupid and simplistic observations you will find on this board.

I used to be obsessed with quantity too, feeling like wasting my time because i only read this much pages. It's a retarded and even embarrassing approach.

When I read I jump back up all the fucking time to re-read a line or two, sometimes even a whole paragraph, if I feel I didn't assimilate it enough on the first reading. Therefore I read really slow, more than two minutes per page I think.
Do you guys do the same thing or am I just retarded?

How the fuck do you guys read so much? I barely finished, like, 3, and I'm feeling like a champ.

I started reading because I ran out of mobile data.
Then it became a habit even when I had data to burn.

why this assumption that counting how many books you've read is only to show off? has Veeky Forums never felt joy in setting a goal (reading x books in a time period, reading certain books within the year) and then completing it?

if you have time to be on here, assuming you're not only here while at some sort of job where you can look at whatever on a computer but not just sit there and read, you have time to read

it's a matter of choosing how to spend your free time and building a habit and finding internal enjoyment