How does Veeky Forums feel about stephen king?

how does Veeky Forums feel about stephen king?

His work has served as the basis for some solid movies

I liked The Mist a lot in high school. Read some of his other work at that time and generally found it underwhelming. Not really any of his major works though.

his best stuff was from the 70s and 80s when he was coked out of his mind
I still enjoy most of his work, mainly for the nostalgia, but ill admit he has trouble ending his bigger stories and thats why his short stories work so well

going to uni in Maine means that you have to read his stuff in most of your English/writing classes

When you go back to Maine I hope that you stat

>he thinks Cujo is gud
Most of his cocaine era books could have been 1/3 the length

Competent, pulpy writer with no pretension that he's anything else. Stylistically blown out by a Ligotti or Aickman.

i'm still here babe

Good when you're a tween-teen.

I like how a lot of his books are kind of connected though. It's like comic book wank.

I read 'Needful Things' and thought it was quite good, that ending though was 'did he have a stroke' bad.

He's the ultimate entertainment writer, and he knows that he is exactly that. No deeper meaning, no hidden layers, no pretentiousness.

And I will defend the merits of the Dark Tower saga with every breath.

I AM ANGRY
ANGRY ABOUT KING

He takes a long time to get going in my opinion but when he gets there man to i enjoy his older stuff. But the only book i have ever read by him that i liked the ending to was pet semetary.

>Graymeat
>Honky mawfah

Jumped the lobster right there IMO

The first book was excellent though.

I'd hang out with him for the day

>The first book was excellent though.

Using hands.

You're opinion is wrong

Did you not read The Library Policeman?

Nope, should I?

Who's the ginger and why is Jack not using a roque mallet?

It was ok. The end of Needful Things is about him going to the town where The Library Policeman took place. He's always doing this kind of shit for le constant readurrs.

le philtrum man

Why does this keep getting posted?

What can we do to stop it?

This. He doesn't try to be yet-another-avant-garde-shit and failing in the attempt.

Hundred percent honesty, I read needful things because of that rick and morty episode but would read more of his stuff as I wasn't half bad.

I've just started reading his Dark Tower books, which are the only King books I've read. The Gunslinger was decent, Drawing of the Three was pretty interesting but felt a little bloated and side-tracked. Going through The Waste Lands now and it feels the similar, like he's forcing the word count on them with his inane descriptions. It hasn't lost me though, so I'll stick with it.

Aparantly I've been crashing into tons of dark tower references through his books. I'm a lazy fucker though. I'm not about to get that invested in a stack of books, granted I actually did read the gunslinger.

The shining is a good one.

Thanks.

Try Insomnia. It's pretty good and tied into the Dark Tower storyline.

Also try his short stories. A whole different kettle of fish. Skeleton Crew and Nightmares And Dreamscapes are the key collections.

Better than DFW

This user is giving you solid advice, shorts!

>He's the ultimate entertainment writer, and he knows that he is exactly that
This
And The Shining wouldn't have been directed if he didn't write it

Entrance-tier fiction. Normal people will see him as the pinnacle of horror and think they're getting the good stuff when reading him.

I don't hate him though. He makes some good tales and as far as I know is not a smug asshole.

He sucks even by reddit standards.

Reddit applauds him

He's an ugly son of a bitch.

Give me a horror reccomendation that will put King to shame.
>Protip: you fucking can't.