Thoughts on time travel? I like to think it will eventually be possible, though maybe not with today's technology...

Thoughts on time travel? I like to think it will eventually be possible, though maybe not with today's technology. Has anyone definitively debunked the possibility? Or are theories against it just as unproven as theories supporting it?

Anyone with some advanced physics knowledge around to share their thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GHC8z6ULs18
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GHC8z6ULs18

Apparently at least one researcher thinks it's possible.

Of course its possible, we're traveling into the future right now. Time travel into the past is possible, but you'd need more energy than the entire universe to reverse the chemical reactions.

The age old time travel question...
Even the best, and smartest don't fully understand it
Look at just some of the things you would need to move a copper penny on foot across a table top
1 a place for it to happen (the universe)
2 the matter in question (the penny)
3 a direction (can only move in one direction, away from it's starting position)
4 a speed
5 energy to set it in motion
6 this is a big one! The time to move a given distance!
How many things have I forgot to mention?
The past is still here, just in another form, the tree that was in your back yard 10,000 years ago has just broke down and moved to a new location.
The space it occupied has not changed. The energy it gave in transition was spent, how do you put that Jennie back in the bottle? Let's just say you found a way to cheat time and go back just one minute, you would find yourself where you were completely unaware. The distant past happened without you there, so if you did step out of some magical doorway, it would not be the same past. Or you would be there in the form that you were when that moment happened, particles in some rock.
Time is some kind of law to prevent this from happening, it prevents matter from being in two places at the same time, there is a reason for the light speed limit, go faster and you cheat time , it is impossible! Now the future, who knows....

I can imagine that if it is ever discovered to be possible, quantum mechanics will fuck us over just like you can't actually send messages with quantum entanglement. It would probably go like this:
>point telescope to where the transmitter will be when it sends the message
>keep information sealed
>wait for the sender to be in the exact place-time the receiver predicted it would be
>send some information
>open seal and check if they are the same
My guess is if you ever tried to open the box before you sent it, it wouldn't work. Just like quantum mechanics likes it, always making fun stuff that we can't use.

Not involved in the field, but I'm curious as to how experiments would be set up to even detect time travel to the past.

Say you compose a machine to send a message using elementary particles and their spins as binary code, up/down = 0/1. You write down a message at 7:00, turn on your "time machine" at 8:00, and send your message at 12:00, back to 8:00. Even if your experiment was a success, how would you know? If you receive the message when you boot up your machine at 8:00, you wouldn't need to send it at 12:00, would you?

For reasons like this I'm assuming the many-worlds interpretation would have to hold true. You did in fact succeed in sending your message at 12:00, but the current version of you would not receive it and would never know. Instead, another version of you, in an a parallel world, would boot up the machine and receive the message at 8:00, independent of what he does at 12:00.

The current you, and anyone from this version of the universe would never know if any experiment ever succeeds, because any message to the past wouldnt be sent to "our" past, but to a parallel version of our universe.

In the same context, I wonder if sending message to the future would give the same result. Would the current version of you receive it? It avoids the paradoxical problem of cause and effect, so I'd want to think the current you would, right?

Thank you! Time isn't some line you can move along how ever you want.
There isn't "time", there is just the world and things constantly change within it.

one day all of the /x/ tier shit that gets posted will be solved with a single breathrough

once we figure out how time slips work, everything else (ghosts, UFOs, demons, fairies etc etc) will finally make sense and will be incorporated into the materialist mindset instead of being hand-waved

In order to time travel (into past) you have to pass through the event horizon and return once again in a deceiving human form. One theory is you have to reach "ascension" to be one or otherwise reach the "other side of consciousness" (consciousness travel not physical).

Some people may experience deja vus or other rare phenomenas like 'voices' or 'unidentified creatures' but those can be assumed as proofs that time is a dimension of illusions and we're being trolled by these future punks or they already exist in a higher dimension our senses cannot measure and get in-and-out the event horizon.

Time travel destroys the free will of the universe and creates destiny.
For example, time traveler X killed you. You are destined to die the moment time traveler X went back in time. Even the grandfather paradox can become useless assuming time traveler X is "ascended."

The future and the past don't exist in any physical sense. They're not places you can go.

You can experience time differently in your frame relative to something else's.

What the hell is this dumbshit?
Are you high?

I am currently traveling through time at a rate of 1 second per second, we live in amazing times.

You fucking what

Time travel with physical action is not possible, since you're violating law of conversation of mass.

Time travel just as a witness is technically possible - you simply need to teleport anywhere in the galaxy AND have a telescope with an infinite zoom.
That way, if you want to witness what happened 3 years ago, you teleport 3 light-years from here and use your telescope where you want to use it.

Objects experience time based on their speed. Theoretically, an object could enter a state of timelessness by travelling faster than the speed of light, so does it not logically follow that any speed beyond this point could bring the object backwards in time?

> time based on their speed.
Do you know how I know you are an undergrad?

Your probably right, what if, when you crossed the light speed limit, you might arrive at a point before you had time to leave your current location? Could be a Matter to energy conversion before that could happen. What do you think?

>theoretically

Theoretically, you can't travel faster than light

Wrong. All objects experience time normally in thier frame of reference. It is only when frame of reference is changed that time discrepancies arise. I.e the twin paradox.

As you approach c, time in other frames will slow relative to you.
At c, if it were possible, time would stop relative to other frames.
Faster than c means that you would arrive before information could be transmitted that you left, which is why we say you go back in time. Time travel to say, ww2 is not possible under any current theory. But you could arrive to a system faster than radio broadcasts from the 40s, seemingly making you from the future.

You could see the past, but you could never be in the past. All you'd see would be a mirage.

I say we have a set goal for what it should be used for. Perhaps (due to the many ecological/environmental disasters which may occur in the next mellennium) we could use it to travel to a more stable period in earth's future, since the past is intangible. The only problem is determining what time period would be best. Considering how little we actually know of the ancient world (most of it is inference-based), it would be nearly impossible to determine more than, say, the shape and movement of the tectonic plates/continents and the possible climates that would result from them.

Any thoughts?