I have an interesting way of reading books, I call it the "authentic experience" method

I have an interesting way of reading books, I call it the "authentic experience" method.

For example, when I was reading 1001 Nights I would read each night until I finished a story, and then stop no matter how much I wanted to continue. This helped me experience the excitement of the king to hear the stories of Schaharazade.

I read the majority of Infinite Jest while high/ hung over/ on acid. This allowed me to feel what wallace was grappling with re addiction, withdrawal, and altered states of mind.

Next is Baron in the Trees (Italo Calvino) Which I will read in its entirety sitting in a tree.

Overall it helps me connect more to the characters and make the stories feel more real and understandable. What do you anons think? What other books could I do this with?

So funneh xD

You should try not eating for 3 days and then read Hunger by Knut Hamsun.

Good start senpai. If you're not method reading you might as well not read.

Me? I've been reading Finnegans Wake while asleep for the past 14 years of my life. I have literally been unable to read another book since FW just repeats over and over again. I firmly believe I am having one of the most authentic literary experiences one could possibly have.

>I read the majority of Infinite Jest while high/ hung over/ on acid. This allowed me to feel what wallace was grappling with re addiction, withdrawal, and altered states of mind.

Man I wish I had access to drugs rn so I could try this

>tfw "authentic experience" reading Divine Comedy

>What other books could I do this with?
Italo Calvino's If On a Winter Night a Traveler.

Produce the same obstacles that the reader in the book faces when trying to read the next chapter. It'll be a wild ride.

I read Sophocles' Theban Plays while sleeping with my mother. Would recommend

Read 1984 while visiting North Korea.

my reading suggestion for you is one flew over the cuckoo's nest. Get a lobotomy.

for the love of god, don't read lolita

do the equivalent but with Groth of The Soil instead, he would actually get something out of it. also it's a much better book

Nice to meet another method reader.
>reading crime and punishment
>commit double homicide

Not bad at all.

Read The Stranger and go shoot an Arab.

Yeah, I do the same thing. Makes for a better experience. Currently reading 120 Days of Sodom.

I only eat flat bread and drink watered down wine while reading the Greeks. I took amphetamines for a year solid while working my way through PKD.

Go to prison and read House of the Dead.

Get a job/internship in the insurance industry and read The Castle

Anything Herman Melville on a boat

Fishing with weights or floaters/Old Man and the Sea

underrated

Method reading is the master race, good to see it mentioned here.

the actual authentic experience is having your browser on the facebook of a girl youve met twice and a list of all the people who have ever wronged you posted on your wall

>have to meet a girl
>she has to actually READ
ayy lmao

Yeah, that's probably the hardest part of the entire ride for most. Setting fire to a publishing house would likely be easier.

I read Oblomov while browsing Veeky Forums.

>oedipus the king
>lolita
>the sound and the fury
>catcher in the rye

I got a lot more out of Hunger, but I've only read the Knut Hamson books once each. Growth of the soil, for me at least, dragged on much longer than I wanted it to.

Then again, I don't think I've liked any family epic so it's just not my taste.

Why did you like Growth better?

American Psycho has been working wonders for me so far.

>this pleb probably still read Aladin and Alibaba

If you use your imagination you could method read lolita and catcher in the rye at the same time.

>Method reading Renaissance literature/The Plague
>Not in a Zika-infested Latin American country fucking everything that moves

Top kek

desu senpai, different user, but kinda weird you say that

i'm in southern mexico recovering from zika rn reading dante and fucking every mexican chic that moves

then you would have something better to do than read ij, or maybe the other way around

I do like to semi align the books I'm reading with the seasons.

>Growth of the soil, for me at least, dragged on much longer than I wanted it to.
it's the complete opposite for me, every time i finish i wish it kept going for another generation at least

i'm not sure why i didn't enjoy Hunger a lot, i guess i didn't have much interest for the character. it's shorter than Growth but it felt much longer to me

- going to read Hunger
- will read only when hungry
sure

Underrated post.

I rather like this.

I did this with Hamsun's Hunger (it also helped that I was too lazy to prepare food). It really does help.

Why dont you read The Divine Comedy and go to hell?