Poor University student here. I'm considering buying a months worth of MREs...

Poor University student here. I'm considering buying a months worth of MREs. What do you guys think in terms of health and cost-efficiency?

Well if you don't like food I guess it's good enough way to keep you alive.

Well you can certainly live off them, but I doubt it's cheaper than buying regular food, even if you don't have a kitchen.

Have fun shitting bricks

Fucking amazon buying them before coming here and forcing us to point out your specific brand of retardation.

>cost-efficiency
If you think it's cost efficient your idea is bad and you should feel bad. Buy cheap staples (rice, lentils, beans, etc.) and you can live off cents a day.

Not cost efficient at all

MREs are retardedly expensive. If you want to eat cheaply, buy cheap shit and eat it.

Buy fifty dollars worth of hamburger meat, fifty bucks of noodles, toss in some spices you like and a few bags of frozen veggies and you're set for a month. Every day you'll be eating noodles and beef but it's fine. It's what I do, but I vary it up between spaghetti, ramen, tortellini, etc. I've actually gotten quite good at it.

This.
Pasta is good too, buy a bulk thing of pasta sauce and go to town.

I would have to eat five of those fuckers a day AT LEAST to not go hungry. How much do you get them for?

>MREs are retardedly expensive.

This. They're horrible value for money. They're expensive because they last for years.

Five a day? How fat are you? They're between 1200 and 1500 calories each.

super expensive. As a university student, what are your kitchen facilities like? I assume you are thinking about this because of dorm living? Is there at least a communal kitchen on your floor? If so, I would recommend a small dorm fridge, and cooking a weeks' worth of meals on a set day when your class load is low and keeping them in the cheap gladware containers in said fridge. If healther is a concern, you can bake a whole pan of chicken at once, make some brown rice, and veggies, and portion them all into single serving meals. All you'll need to do is nuke them.

>How fat are you?

Not too fat. Well, allright. I was exaggerating a bit but I would get bored of them. three might do but hard to tell. I was in the military and those were JUST a snack. We never lived long on MRE's. Even when we were out in the field we always had chow brought to us. We would only live on MRE's momentarily. We would always get back to the defac on time or like I already said, our First Seargant would hook us up with real cooked food courtesy of our local cooks. I don't know if I could live on that bullshit and not go crazy. I guess as long as you have a decent variety, you'll be ok.

As far as I know the guys on this thread who said it was expensive must be right. The only place I remember seeing them available was in our local commissary on base. I would expect military surplus stores and other military stores to have some but would also expect them to have some jacked up prices.

Couldn't your fat ass just buy tons of rice and beans and lentils and a vitamin to get the job done? and it would be way less expensive fucking idiot

I'm not op

I'd sooner eat a 100% Soylent diet than fucking MRIs

No, get a freezer and buy in bulk.

Bulk chicken breast, bulk ground meat.
Rice
frozen frozen.

And some spices for taste.

Still i cant believe there are idiots who think living on MREs are viable

>Still

Why don't you apologize to him you autistic cretin? The guy was just giving an anecdote about MREs and you had to diarrhea all over this thread.

enjoy your constipation

lurk moar

No since you need 1Kg of fiber a week if you live out MREs.

Live out beans, eggs and rice.
Also instantaneous soups.
And vitamins and electrolytes.

Get on the O A T Z train senpai

42 oz oatz = $4 = 4500 calories
gallon of whole milk = $3.50 = ~2500 calories
Large jar of peanut butter = $5 = 7000 calories

That's $12.50 for a week's worth of calories

t. college student making minimum wage

Honestly? I think you might have mild autism because the vast majority of students don't think like this. It's a stupid idea and even if you are poor if you have half a brain you could buy and cook great food with less money than would be spent on shitty MRE's.

do yanks just call pasta noodles?
wtf

Why are you still alive

MRE's are convenience food. They are not cost effective. They are novelty items for people who want to try them, or who want to stock their Alaskan wilderness cabin and still have it usable next year when they go back.

If you want to lose weight, however, some of the meal plans for prepurchaseable food can be a bit of a savings, especially shake meal replacement types, or introductory offers from places like Jenny Craig. The wal-mart equivalent will be inexpensive if you pay attention to prices.

If you want to bulk up or keep from losing muscle, look at some of the big containers of protein shake mix, and just buy gallons of milk or juice at a time. Supplement with bagged salads and some inexpensive meat for dinners. Snack bars if you buy them in bulk or on sale can be alright. Just buy bargain sized bags of potatoes, fruit, veggies. Buy 12 chicken breasts at a time, freeze til use, etc. Or eat like a peasant, rice, beans, cheap meat. Lots of fat.

If you want to just eat cheaply, go on the white bread, PBJ, bag of apples diet. Drink a lot of water, maybe with some koolaid sprinkled in there for flavor and calories, and never ever ever play convenience store prices. Get refillable insulated tumblers, a pitcher for your fridge, and bulk ziplocs and pack snacks from home. That arizona tea or starbucks, a couple times a week, is like the same price at 15 2liters of soda at walmart, or 10,000 tea bags a week. Skip dining out entirely, even dollar menus.

Beans and rice. It's got everything you need to keep living and is absolutely the lowest cost/kcal.

MREs are a horrible deal, even though they contain 1 days worth of calories. You'd literally spend less for the same calories if you instead lived off the McChicken, the best fast food sandwich.

Dumb, just learn to cook. Its easy to cook very cheaply and nutritiously if you make big meals and part them out yourself. Buy tupperware and write MRE on it with a marker.

This place makes me realize I must have only the slightest version of autism compared these freaks. And I once tried to increase the compression efficiency of a winrar algorithm.

Does anybody have the full screencap

join the army retard