Yo' niggas, ya got ur Zettels Traum yet?

Yo' niggas, ya got ur Zettels Traum yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

theuntranslated.wordpress.com/2015/07/25/reading-zettels-traum-week-1-pp-11-20/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why can't that book be smaller? Why can't it be published in a digital format, at least a facsimile?

It's a gigantic waste of money. In the time it takes you to read that trash you could have read the Divine Comedy, Paradise Lost, and Don Quixote back to back, twice. You'd get a lot more out of the second choice, for a lot less money, and you'd be much more interesting to talk to.

Hopefully after reading this post no one else lets themself get memed by this garbagio.

In the time it takes you to read that self-indulgent dribble you could have made something of your life, what of it?

"facsimile"

Jesus. Either you are really small or it is even bigger than I expected. I've already read all of his translated books (aside from one that goes for 200 dollars) to prep, Dude is an amazing author, but I'm mindfucked as to how I'm going to hold that thing reasonably while reading. At the very least, I clearly won't be doing my usual "one hand for the book, one hand for the cigarette" thing.

Ever heard of a table?

Not big on breaking the spine. Unless that thing is really well constructed, laying it flat towards the middle will kill it.

This is the closest to 10/10 bait I've seen in a long time

"facsimile"

It's damn true, though. I mean, I have giant fucking hands, but still. Schmidt's book School For Athiests was pretty unwieldy and about the same height/width, but at least it was about a 5th as long. This thing, not only is it going to probably take up a few weeks of reading, but I will probably have to get like a wrist brace after and shit.

I got it. Mostly grabbed it so I won't have to for hundreds of dollars when it's out of print. They printed 2000 of this and if Arno's other bigger books are any indication this will go up in price a lot.

I'm making my way through his other works first though. I read the first two pages and it was basically incoherent babble to me. More so than finnegans wake.

To add. I would recommend anyone reading this post to check out Arno's other translated work. If the Zettle's Traum memeing has done anything it has made me interested in this guys work, and it really is amazing. He has such a unique and playful style that more people should really expose themselves to.

Could you post a pic of the first page? I'd really llike to see how woods translated it.

i already ready divine comedy (12+ times), paradise lost (3 times), and don quixote (once). check mate.

>hop on the latest lit meme
>preorder book
>it's bigger than a computer
>1500 pages of pic related

W E W L A D

looks fun gonna call my local bookseller to see if he has any

it's actually not that hard to read

knowing the original, i'd say he did a pretty good job at translating it and still keeping the meaning but i definitely prefer the german version

I'm disappointed in myself for having such a typical reaction to this. I handled gravity's rainman fine and Ulysses pretty ok with the Stuart book to help

I also read books to be """""""interesting""""""" to talk to, and not to enjoy the books.

scan this bitch and upload to libgen

Mine arrived today. Postman looked pissed off. Can't wait for autumn to kick in so I can get full comfy.

Reading about what is the material of the book I can’t help but think: how on Earth we have so many of these guys today who invest thousands of hours of work and enormous effort into books about minor subjects that most people don’t care and mostly with small and bizarre characters who are not likely to captivate the interest of nobody.

Why they don’t firstly try to think about several ideas for a book, selecting the best ones and discarding the weak ones, and then polishing the chosen idea into a balanced and artistic organic whole. It is like such people get one strange idea when they are lying in bed waiting for sleep to come and then proceed to spend several years on such abortion.

I pity these poor souls.

"The novel begins around 4 AM on Midsummer's Day 1968 in the Lüneburg Heath in northeastern Lower Saxony in northern Germany, and concludes twenty-five hours later. It follows the lives of Daniel Pagenstecher, visiting translators Paul Jacobi and his wife Wilma, and their teenage daughter Franziska. The story is concerned with the problems of translating Edgar Allan Poe into German and with exploring the themes he conveys.

The novel is divided into eight books:[4]

Book 1: “The Horrorfield, or The Language of Tsalal”: Beginning out in the fields and working their way toward Pagenstecher’s house, the adults discuss Poe’s novel The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket along with the drinking problems of Poe and James Joyce.

Book 2: “In the Company of Trees”: The focus shifts to Poe’s The Journal of Julius Rodman and the role of trees in literature and mythology.

Book 3: “Dan’s Cottage; (a Diorama)”: Over brunch at Pagenstecher's house, the adults discuss the use of plants and flowers in Poe’s short story “The Domain of Arnheim” while Franziska flirts with Dan. The chapter ends around 12:30 p.m.

Book 4: “The Jesture of the Great Pun”: The characters continue their discussion of puns and metamorphoses, topics that run throughout the novel. Dan and Paul visit a nearby pond to continue their discussion of Poe's The Journal of Julius Rodman.

Book 5: “Franziska=Nameth”: The perils of true love are discussed, especially in relationships between older men and younger women (as in Dan and Franziska).

Book 6: “‹Draino!› – ”: Voyeurism returns as a topic of discussion, along with Poe’s alleged coprophilia.

Book 7: “The Twilit/Toilet of the Gods/Guts”: The protagonists discuss the perversions in the fictitious town of Scortelben.

Book 8: “In the Realms of the Neith”: The group discusses voyeurism and autoeroticism in Poe’s Eureka: A Prose Poem; Dan relates an attempt by one of Franziska’s friends to seduce him, and “acknowledges the foolishness of being in love with a teenager” (Langbehn, 16)."

I don't know how I'm supposed to read what's in the margin's, but I can follow the middle part fairly well, despite the funky style. Is there a sort of intro in the book that tells you how to read it, or are you supposed to just plunge right into it?

*margins

>Discussions of the writings take place to the left of the main column. In addition, the four discussants narrate stories about Poe’s life and insert quotes from his texts […] The right column contains extensive quotations from literature, myth, and devotional texts, and other references such as radio and TV news or dictionary definitions and translations.

theuntranslated.wordpress.com/2015/07/25/reading-zettels-traum-week-1-pp-11-20/

Just dive in and have fun

I was actually considering buying this one. I'll stick to my normie books.

i wish the packaging was as nice as the german version

I personally like how minimal it is. Also my slip case didn't get fucked up in the mail so I have that going for me.

y'havta reaD Joyce's Ulysses 20=times

So this is where that meme comes from

Fuck man, didn't get it till now

does the=weirD punktuashun ha've any real (

From wikipedia:
His writing style is characterized by a unique and witty style of adapting colloquial language, which won him quite a few fervent admirers. Moreover, he developed an orthography by which he thought to reveal the true meaning of words and their connections amongst each other. One of the most cited examples is the use of “Roh=Mann=Tick" instead of "Romantik" (revealing romanticism as the craze of unsubtle men). The atoms of words holding the nuclei of original meaning he called Etyme (etyms).

Ngl from that example he sounds like a hack, I'm hoping he's got better ones than that

I mean the orthographic all style looks interesting and distinctive but I just can't see an immediately apparent purpose for it in the image posted

Like that one bracket that's just: (? --)
What's the purpose of that (seemingly disconnected from the text)?

Does the punctuation make more functional sense if you have a context for the book?

For the uneducated like me, can someone put this page in layman's terms? what the heck is going on?

I'm guessing he's taking what Joyce did in FW a step further by trying to write out how the meaning in a word or sentence is perceived, and then going further to deconstruct those perceptions and make puns from them.

Forget judging a book by it's cover, this guy is judging everything this author wrote by one word...

Thanks for pointing out that it is limited. I was being lazy and holding off because of how heavy it is, but I know that I have to read it eventually, so I'm glad to be getting it while it is available.

I hate it when shit goes up so far in price. I thought Rising Up and Rising Down (which really oughta be the ultimate meme book) by Vollmann was expensive at 100 new, but used copies are out of control pricewise and have been for a decade.

Read "Schmidt's Theory of Typography" from Langbehn's analysis. Gives a small explanation of his system. It'll be on Google books but I think some user uploaded a pdf here.

Yeah, you're right. This site fucks you up. I need to Jim Profit and actually read more