What are some general freshman college level books which will help me break into the world of reading...

What are some general freshman college level books which will help me break into the world of reading? I've read a couple college freshman level books like the stranger, 1984, and the picture of dorian grey, as well as a few others, but I'm looking for other books which aren't so difficult that I can barely read them, but are still really good and worth my time.

College? You mean high school, right?

>Stranger
>College

Anyway, Anna Karenina, C&P, the Whole Wester CanonĀ©, the Bible, the second part Qur'an, and Mormon Adventres, Kierkegaard's Magnum "Dong" OpusĀ©, the NYC bestseller, criticaly acclaimed MY DIARY DESU, Complete Works of Ezra "Pounded by the Pound" Pound, and >totalitarianism >in >a >tundra >a legacy.

kys fag

what dou you mean when you say second part of quran?

He means the part that isn't the same as the first 5 or so books of the bible.

the greeks

The Stranger is good. Sure, at the end it gets really heavy handed, but it's also good literature. Camus wasn't talentless.

Besides, I hope one can argue The Stranger has as much under the surface as Gatsby does. While Gatsby is certainly literature-for-dummies, it also has redeeming qualities and nice prose

What is this, middle school intro to greek mythology and literature? What OP should reading is Infinite Jest by David "Foster Kane" Wallace.

It's garbage though, Camus has no discernible talent.
DUDE MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS BRO JUST DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES LMAO

I think a lot about what he would have written if he had lived longer. I once heard it said he was moving from an obsession with Dostoevsky (whose influence can obviously be seen in his early work) and reading a great deal more Tolstoy. I don't know how true that was, but there is the stereotype of Dostoevsky being a "young man's" writer and that we move onto Tolstoy with time (a simplification, which nevertheless contains elements of truth).

As it stands I can't rank him as a great novelist, but for some reason, I get the feeling that, if he had lived longer, and really assimilated the messages of Tolstoy, using him as inspiration in same way he used Dosto, then he would have produced a truly great novel, one undeniably up there with the 20th century greats, and would have founded a stream of literature, which set itself apart by lacking the teenage elements of Dosto (the obsession with nihilism, the constant pervasive sense of drama(Dosto was the greatest playwright never to have written a play)), which plague his earlier work, and following instead the Tolstoyan model.

Instead, the 20th century became a Dostoyevskyan century, every work a lesser fragmentation of his Brothers Karamazov (Not that this is at all dismissive; it's a wonderful book), populated by exaggerated psychology, an unfounded distaste for naturalism, and a subtle conservatism (present even among the most left-wing writers of the modern and post-modern tradition) which reveals itself in the post-modern suspicion of "ideology" and "ideologues".

The death of Albert Camus came too early. As with Keats and Shelley, when we read his work, what is far more dominant than the actual work which stands before us is the tragic sense, which pervades his corpus, of what could have been.

Bad pasta

DUDE ALGERIA IS HOT AND COLD AND HAS FRENCH AND ARABS WHICH DONT GET ALONG GREAT LMAO
DUDE THIS IS ALL A DEEP ALLEGORY FOR LIFE LMAO

>pasta
What a weird fucking accusation

As a muslim im guessing probably the second chapter.

>it's a random aspiring author basement dwelling pseud mocks talented authors to be contrarian episode
Oh...

Project harder.

But user, can't you see how Camus was trying to use the Arab-Pued Noir conflicts as a "deep allegory for life lmao"

He must be a hack

*pied fuck

Simply beautiful.
I vibrate on the same level, friend.
I look forward to your future posts.

>being this upset your favorite author during high school is being insulted

The sticky.

Oh fuck, I forgot that on Veeky Forums, showing you have any kind of honest, single-entendre opinion means you lose.

He was actually my favourite author when I was 15 though, so good guess

bad opinions exist

Anyone who doesn't like The Stranger has probably never lived in Florida or other places its hot tb h. You northerners just don't understand the power of the sun.

Yes, but your snarky little green text, failed to illuminate why my opinion was a "bad opinion"

I grew up in Drumheller, I still hate Camus.

The prairie badlands are basically Algeria placed in North America.

The only projecting I did was assuming he was an aspiring author. Everything else is fact, I can guarantee that

Try reading some of the Chinese classics, like Tao Te Ching if you want a bit of variety. You should read others analysis/interpretation of the books though. Personally I really appreciate the style of the more Eastern writing. They are very good at using very basic language to convey concepts both vast and deep. It takes a bit of getting used to but its well worth it, it well help you're thinking too.

I'm that person and none of it is true.

Sure