Is there any truth in buddhist monks having superhuman qualities through meditation?

Is there any truth in buddhist monks having superhuman qualities through meditation?
What about their routines is useless traditional bullshit and what are actual skill boosting stuff?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samadhi
youtu.be/CttIGAOvluY?t=1038
youtube.com/watch?v=Lfbjxa5XB2I
youtube.com/watch?v=Aos0hnwiHt8
youtube.com/watch?v=m-Ki2-VzUVs
youtube.com/watch?v=FrZRIW87eWI
youtube.com/watch?v=kR0Ju98Jv-0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiratory_alkalosis
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>monks having superhuman qualities
what are you, gay?

You know when you were a kid the doctor would tell you to breathe in and out at a nice pace, to look away from the needle and to relax your muscles when piercing your flesh?

Remember how when you actually followed his advice it hurt a little less, almost nothing, compared to when you would cry and move around and breathe like a fucking bitch. Right? Member?

Well, they just do that but after training it for decades and becoming masters of ignoring pain.

Seriously, whenever you see these monks show off it is always some pain resistance bullshit. You never see them shoot fireballs or levitate buildings. Just resisting some guy hitting them with a stick. Big fucking deal. It is just training to ignore pain.

What about super strength? Is it just technical stuff?

What super strength? Show me super strength for these fags. Strength that goes beyond what the strongest humans, through muscle, can achieve.

>L-look, he lifted that car like 3 inches holy fuck super strength

nope.

Can you lift a car user? Even 3 inches?

Meditation has been shown to reduce stress and practitioners from a variety of faiths and perspectives report that it is beneficial for a variety of other reasons. Its not magic hocus pocus but it isn't totally a meme either

Mh for strength I was thinking more about punching and kicking not lifting
IIRC they could achieve hitting stronger than a boxer without any of his muscle mass, but I may be wrong

>Can you lift a car user? Even 3 inches?

No but I've seen those tournaments on TV where these really fat buff guys compete and one of the competitions is lifting a car. Not lifting, but like raising it some inches about the ground.

So it is possible through "normal" strength.

>Is there any truth in buddhist monks having superhuman qualities through meditation?
no

>Is there any truth in buddhist monks having superhuman qualities through meditation?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samadhi

some catholic saint supposedly had supernatural powers too

I would hate to be one of these autists that say shit like this but...

it depends on what you define as "superhuman".

By definiton no human can be superhuman at anything. Superhuman literally means "beyond human".

If you look at the word in a practical sense however where superhuman simply means way above average or top 1% then yeah.
Monks are superhuman at a lot of shit.

Aging
Strength
Pain Tolerence
Surviving Starvation and Dehydration
Surviving Extreme Temperatures
Concentration ability
General Will Power (the ablity do get shit done without procrastinating)
Happiness and Overall Satisfaction with life.
etc.. There is obviously more I haven't listed.

Appearently the meditating types who spend their lives doing "score" as high in readings for happy and calm brain waves as high as Von Neumann would do on an IQ test. You get the idea.

hi (sorry for my bad english)

>Aging
Citation needed.
>Strength
There an no strongman monks, neither monk athletes in the Olympics.
>Surviving Starvation
Any fat person can do that better than a monk.

>What about their routines is useless traditional bullshit.

Literally none of it, look up "Placebo Effect."

The mind controls the universe, not the other way around.

Science is a self-limiting worldview, which is why the scientific view of the world is so limited.

You restrict your perception to that which can be explained and understood and labeled and diagrammed, and that is maybe 1-2% of the observable universe.

This is an extremely useful lens for looking at the universe, but if it's the only lens you have, you're going to be almost completely blind.

>No but I've seen those tournaments on TV where these really fat buff guys compete and one of the competitions is lifting a car. Not lifting, but like raising it some inches about the ground.
>So it is possible through "normal" strength.

That's not "normal" strength, there's nothing "normal about that level of strength, you're talking about another subset of humans who trained for 20 years to do something, and that's WHY they put those freaks on TV and that's why 90% of them fail the various challenges in those tournaments, some of whom incur crippling injuries doing so.

Nothing "normal" about that, you're just being a glib, dismissive dickhead because WHY? Because it makes you sound more knowledgeable than you really are. That's why skepticism is always a refuge for pseudo intellectuals.

More worried about appearing not to be wrong than actually finding out what's right.

What the fuck are you talking about? OP is talking about superhuman qualities.

If it is possible to train a human to do something, then that something is not superhuman.

Flying is superhuman. Learning to pilot an airplane is not superhuman.

Are you retarded? Show me monks doing ANYTHING that could not be done through normal martial arts and physicsl training. That is the point of "superhuman".

I want to see them levitate shit and if they do then I will literally drop out of my pure mathematics degree and go to the mountains to learn to levitate. Then I'll come back to civilization only to get internet access to make

>tfw to intelligent too walk
threads where I show myself levitating to the store.

And

>not majoring in monk studies
shitposting.

There was a german documentation about it.

>youtu.be/CttIGAOvluY?t=1038
>17:20, 17:40

They made a series about enhanced congnitive and perception abilities. One of them was some shaolin fag. One of the results some of the brainresearcher measured was that the shaolin was really fast in relaxation modus. Basically,

>someone who's training it for 5 years would need 10 min. to enter this deep relaxing modus
>but the shaolin just needed few milliseconds to enter a deep relax modus

Video is showing f.e. how he's able to throw a needle through a window etcetc

>>Strength
>There an no strongman monks, neither monk athletes in the Olympics.

Everyone strong does strongman tournaments and Olympics and anybody who doesn't do those things cannot be strong.

Do you see what I mean about self-limiting your worldview?

The universe and everything in it doesn't feel obligated to present itself in a logical, rational way for you to figure it out easily and be certain of what you know.

We all WISH that the universe was required to follow some laws and that we could predict the behavior of everything if we only knew the laws, and that's a fine dream, and maybe we'll even be on our way to knowing 1% of the universe in about another hundred billion years or so, but that shit ain't the fuckin' case right at the moment.

And trying to act like it is just makes you sound and actually be stupid.

>If it is possible to train a human to do something, then that something is not superhuman.
>Being this autistic.

If you think breaking records counts as super human then look at the Olympics. They aren't even monks LOL!

MONKS BTFO. HOW WILL THEY EVER RECOVER?

Meditation has observable effects on brain plasticity. Its mainly to reduce stress and increase concentration.

Any "superhuman" abilities are unique to shaolin monks and comes purely from physical training.

Go with you lot on the pain thing.
Monks were reputed to be able walk vast distances extremely quickly. Been documented several times in 18th Cent autobiographic/travel books.

They used a 'magical' (yes, dont bother) implement called a dorge purbah dagger. It focussed their energies for fast long dist travel.

I /think/ combo diet, meditation, extreme training (similar to Spec forces) enabled them to do this.

However the 3 reports I read back in 1990's were pretty fucking impressive, those early explorers were hardcore themselves.

That's my first post in the thread.
Is say that because those are competitions, with measurements and rankings.
I seriously doubt a monk can pull off some of the big ass strongmans' feats.
Then, Olympics' records are a result of genetic selection and a lifetime's practice.
Show me a monk doing pic related.

>If you think breaking records counts as super human then look at the Olympics.
Yes but we already know about Olympics.
This thread is about monks and what monks do that others can't.

So you can start with Iron Shirt Qigong:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lfbjxa5XB2I

Then take a look at this guy:

youtube.com/watch?v=Aos0hnwiHt8

John Chang supposedly is close to levitation (he spent his entire life working to reach this point). His student said he saw him get on a scale and his weight was cut in half when he focused. It was claimed if he spent a week in meditating preparing he could jump over his house.

>John Chang supposedly is close to levitation (he spent his entire life working to reach this point). His student said he saw him get on a scale and his weight was cut in half when he focused. It was claimed if he spent a week in meditating preparing he could jump over his house.
This is one of the gayest thing I've ever read on Veeky Forums.
Back to
brainlet.

Tell me how you know it's false apriori?

Did you watch either video? The first one is done in a lab and already shows something beyond a standard scientific framework.

>Iron Shirt Qigong

That is just pain resistance. I already explained why that is not magic here Now, show me that fag swimming in a volcano then coming out and I will be a believer.

>John Chang

When in the video is he levitating? I just see people taking random measurements and shit and where is proof that he is not just using video tricks or some other kind of help.

>Tell me how you know it's false apriori?
Fucking moron.
His students say he can half halve his weight while standing on a scale.
Who gives a fuck?
Do I have to believe any stupid shit people say?
The first video is a fraud and the guy with the bat intentionally strikes with careful blows.
It's so evident it's embarrassing.
Leave this board gullible brainlet.

>That is just pain resistance

No it isn't. He puts a spear to his throat and isn't killed. The doctor on site is amazed and confused.

>John Chang

Well the video shows him setting a newspaper on fire with his Qi, but I find all the people reacting to his touch more convincing.

The levitation isn't in the video, that's a claim one of his students made (yes I've done some more in depth research on him).

If you would like I can show you a video of him training a student and them purportedly using some telekinesis to knock shit over. People obviously may claim it's fake, but anything not done in a lab will always have that concern.

If you think telekinesis is possible, levitation is obviously just an application of it after getting it to a sufficient strength.

>The first video is a fraud and the guy with the bat intentionally strikes with careful blows.

Explain the spear to his throat that measures over 2000 lbs of pressure then.

>If you would like I can show you a video of him training a student and them purportedly using some telekinesis to knock shit over.

Bleh meant to include link:

youtube.com/watch?v=m-Ki2-VzUVs

Things like this really give me hope. I hope it is true and that spirituality and all that crap actually exists. I don't want to die.

>Explain the spear to his throat that measures over 2000 lbs of pressure then.
They calculate that on the tip of the spear.
Those are 2000 Psi that in the civilized world are measured using Pa (Pascal = Newton / m^2).
Any weight gives ridiculous pressure for a small surface.
The fraudster applies pressure on the spear sideways; larger surface i.e. less Pa.
Then tissue on that part of his body may be stronger as a result of training, that's possible.

This is circus display.
He could very well demonstrate his superhuman ability with a needle on the tip of his penis.
I hope these mongols don't bullshit even about their meditation achievements.
I really trust meditation and that would be sad.

>I hope it is true and that spirituality and all that crap actually exists.

The beauty of it user is that you can experience it yourself very easily. I started meditating a couple years ago and it has drastically improved my life. I don't have any super powers but my mental state is much better and it's given me more willpower to improve myself in more direct ways.

Beyond that meditation has given me some of the most meaningful and deep experiences of my life. I've felt things I've never felt before because of it, and it's free and can never be taken away from you.

>youtube.com/watch?v=m-Ki2-VzUVs
Here's an evidence of the existence of aliens.
youtube.com/watch?v=FrZRIW87eWI

>my mental state is much better and it's given me more willpower to improve myself in more direct ways.

Nigga I could do that if I wanted by taking drugs. For all I know meditation is the name of your dealer.

I need top tier proof that god exists, there is an afterlife and spirits are a thing.

It's actually because of Kung Fu.
youtube.com/watch?v=kR0Ju98Jv-0

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiratory_alkalosis
It is believed that they achieve their spiritual state through this.

the pain resistance can make them appear to have above average strength because they can push their bodies to near permanent injury type failure. most athletes have trained enough to be able to do this as well, but it looks more impressive on a scrawny asian dude.

lmao 8/10 I got triggered

>proof

Proofs only exist in mathematics, reality deals in facts and experiences.

>Aging
Meditation will not make you age less. There has been some studies according to which people who meditated since their 20s or so had a "younger" brain than people who did not meditate.
I agree that a person who meditate may have a brain in better shape that someone who spent his life in idleness. I do not think this is enough to be it a quality of meditation, or of having an active brain in general, but I am leaning towards the latter.

>The chains that hold us down in life are often imaginary

What about the guys who can control their heartbeat and have a heart rate of 1 or 2 BPM?

At 1-2 BPM you are unconscious. When that occurs for some reason and you do survive it, extremely small chance that's when they mistake you for dead and you wake up in a morgue.

>The average resting heart rate is around 70 beats per minute, with athletes having a lower level due to an enlarged and more efficient heart from training adaptation

>According to the current listing for the Guinness World Records (and also in the printed books since 2009), the lowest resting heart rate on record is 27 bpm (beats per minute) belonging to Martin Brady

1 or 2 bpm = BS

there are definitely levels to relaxation while in deep concentration.

A study showed one of them could consciously alter his brainwave patterns. One guy managed to sit perfectly still while he burned to death.

>A study showed one of them could consciously alter his brainwave patterns.
Anyone can do this.
They change based on what you're doing or thinking.
A lot of naive points in this thread, how old are you?

Just training and indoctrination.

What the fuck is this?
Who did a brainwave study of someone burning to death?

Specifically going into delta waves, which normally happens during deep sleep

Really? Why don't you post a video of you showing delta waves on an EEG?

They were different people.

Look up Swami Vivekananda

My favorite Catholic super power is how their priests could fuck the alter boys and get away with it.

Very impressive. Almost superhuman.

meditation is useful and beneficial, but probably not if you want to lift a car, join a gym for that.

Probably some Sheldrakian field thing.

ha, got 'em