If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras...

If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras, perhaps this is simply a sign of our maturity as a sentient species. As our collective consciousness expands beyond a crucial point, we are at last ready to accept life's fundamental truth: that life's only purpose is life itself.

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang
"Looking God in the Eye"

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YO_xh7xIabk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras,

it doesn't.

/thread

If you played any other faction you're a fucking faggot

If you played the University I'll actually beat you up

Go to bed, Miriam.

the patricians choice

I sit in my cubicle, here on the motherworld. When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe, or laugh, or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment.

Based Morgan is the most fun though.

I maintain nonetheless that yin-yang dualism can be overcome. With sufficient enlightenment we can give substance to any distinction: mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Remember, enlightenment is a function of willpower, not of physical strength.

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang
"Essays on Mind and Matter"

>implying Miriam wasn't the best leader
Everyone else is a monument to the follies of using knowledge for evil ends.

>more mature
Nihilism is the whiny 14-year-old of philosophical doctrines.

Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum.

Cpt. Ulrik Svensgaard
-Traditional Nordic sea shanty

>SMAC factions
>deep ecologists
>fundamentalist presbyterianism
>militarist fascism
>totalitarian communism
>laissez faire plutocracy
>scientistic ethicsless technocracy

>alien crossfire factions
>WHAT IF THERE WAS PIRATES?
>L33T H4X
>ALIENS
>ALIENS AGAIN
>MORE ALIENS

What the hell happened

>that life's only purpose is life itself.

This is nihilism in it's purest form. It expresses an absence of something that goes beyond the lifespan itself. It is the naked life. The thing is, if you only believe in the naked life, then you could just as well kill yourself. It eliminates any sense from your life. The common reaction is to seek experience, constantly, to constantly try to elevate life by experience (the better term is the german "erleben") as to prove yourself that you are alive and not just living.

It is not maturity, it speaks of an absence. "The Fundamental Truth" apparently still exists. It is not different from an era filled with causes and great beliefs. They have their fundamental truths, we have ours. Ours is exactly like those that came before not more truthful, do i have to make examples? I hope not because it should be evident that "life's purpose being only life itself" is spooked and can not claim the status of being more a fundamental truth than others.

It is not a sign of our maturity. It is a sign of transformation. It is a sign of a society which has yet failed to adapt to the technological, sociological and scientifical advances that uprooted everything that once gave a sense of meaning and security to mankind. No wonder people escape into drugs, entertainment, memes and all the other distractions as to cover up their misery.

Emotions, sentiment and ideology is just the shitty middle ground in human evolution as we from being savages to logical, reasonable and rational beings.
It's slightly better than mindlessness, slightly worse than realism/nihilism, and is not the be all and end all of humanity.
You can't just go from a typewriter to a laptop; you gotta have that massive fan roaring desktop tower in between.

>The common reaction is to seek experience, constantly, to constantly try to elevate life by experience (the better term is the german "erleben") as to prove yourself that you are alive and not just living.
idocturnation

>They have their fundamental truths, we have ours.
There is one fundamental truth, and nihilism is closer to it than any other recent belief.

>There is one fundamental truth, and nihilism is closer to it than any other recent belief.

As you pointed out correctly: Belief

>idocturnation
Not what i mean, it's more of an "adaption" process. A learning process so to say, on how to answer the metaphysical question, that our matieral luxus (meaning that we can estimate that we will live through our biological lifespan) allows us to ask ourself.

>As you pointed out correctly: Belief
Yes. I was saying it's one of the closest to the truth. Just like mathematics is not truth, but still fairly useful.

to be fair what could have they added? you can only have so many "ideologies" without them starting to overlap

Closest to what truth? Can you specifically name it?

Emotions, sentiment and ideology is just the shitty middle ground in human evolution as we from being savages to logical, reasonable and rational beings.
It's slightly better than mindlessness, slightly worse than realism/nihilism, and is not the be all and end all of humanity.
You can't just go from a typewriter to a laptop; you gotta have that massive fan roaring desktop tower in between.

>Emotions, sentiment and ideology is just the shitty middle ground in human evolution as we from being savages to logical, reasonable and rational beings.

Jesus Christ, if anything human history for the past 2000 years has shown that we are not even going in the direction of "logical, reasonable and rational beings". What is logical about modern life? We're knee deep in abstractions and confusions, more so than at any other point in humanity. Why would you even think that "logical, reasonable and rational beings" is something we should strive to become? Why is this good?

Free Drones and Cult of Planet are cool though.

Because oriental pussy isn't actually sideways, but is in fact 'squinted'.

I do like how Maoist he is. Whoever wrote the quotes did a damn good job.

>Closest to what truth? Can you specifically name it?
Oneness ;)

How is it closer to that truth than christianity or buddhism? The "fundamental truth" of life's only purpose being life seems to deny any oneness

youtube.com/watch?v=YO_xh7xIabk

"Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."
-- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"

Evangelion total conversion when?

>How is it closer to that truth than christianity or buddhism?
They are diluted. Especially christianity. This 'truth' has to be experienced, while Christianity doesn't really help you achieve that. In fact it bogs you down. This is present in buddhism too, I think.

>The "fundamental truth" of life's only purpose being life seems to deny any oneness
Hmm, I don't see it.

Didn't they make a book or two out of the games, and in one of them it was that the Chairman secretly kept re-birthing himself through clones or something? I remember reading a summary of it

I'd like to see you try manlet

university4life

you shittalking my waifu?

Well trained troops are no match for mind worms

its funny how they picked a white blue eyed blonde Nordic woman to represent the logical humanity. would you ever see a black person in such a role? it would seem so unfitting

Free drones were actually kinda OK, though in general AX was a mistake.

>make a game fundamentally about human conflict (yes Planet was conscious in a weird way but that's mostly about environmentalism)
>lol let's add ayys

Alpha Centauri itself is a fucking amazing time capsule especially humanity becoming mostly ideological, that's getting stomped in pretty hard right now.

Alpha Centauri is like playing a SF trilogy, all of the writing is something I'd expect to find in those "best science fiction" anthologies.

It is pretty amazing how good the writing and general setting construction was in this game

>Richard Baxton piloted his Recon Rover into a fungal vortex and held off four waves of mind worms, saving an entire colony. We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character with a multi-tiered media campaign: televids, touchbooks, holos, psi-tours-- the works. People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers.
Morgan Stellartots Keynote Speech, "Mythology for Profit"

The guy who wrote it has been spending the last decade or so making generic mobile "free to play" games.

>life's only purpose is life itself.
yeah I can dig that

brutal