Veeky Forums 2016 top 100 books poll

Hello, guys. People were saying 'when's the next top 100 list' so I'm gonna make one.

Link - docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeEuDRJF33JvAFxsckzp_54uMiOfqCWkWWlKKZPaVE3BjWwwg/viewform

Results - docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_6-b92dCuQKzH4Va2mKI3fy22Du0l3PxkybyPLqEX88/edit?usp=sharing

I'll cap it off after a week or two, and try to figure out a way to sort them. Etc.

>memes will be deleted
So this means anything by Pynchon, DFW, and at least Joyce will thrown in the You're dumb.

No, I will include the 'meme trilogy guys'.

Thinking about it, I will also include books like Mein Kampf or Art of the Deal.

I will delete stuff that isn't books like pepe -- you know, memes. But I am dumb, tho.

I mean as long as your including hypersphere

Sure, I will. If enough of Veeky Forums votes for it. It is, after all, a book.

I'm also going to delete threads that try to vote the same book more than once.

>Nabakov
Why do people this?

I've only read Lolita and found it to be pretty good. I don't understand putting him in the top five but it's a very uniquely written and plotted story. I don't know about Pale Fire though.

The spelling is off, is what I meant.

Well nobokav isn't a hard word to spell so you'll have to forgive my error

>watchmen
>terminator 2 script
M E M E

I might terminate the script, but watchmen is fair game (if questionable taste).

Watchmen is a graphic novel tho. Even if it's a (questionable) good work it doesn't belong in the list.

It's still a book, even if it's not a novel.

Ultimately I'm not too worried about it -- I don't think enough people are gonna vote in a graphic novel to get into the top 100.

All good books thus far.

I think if the work was read in translation it should be specified who the translator was. Same thing with Bible versions (KJV, NSRV, Lattimore, etc)

stupid thread kys op

Nah

is it unique voting?

The only way I can do that is if I require login-- should I do that?

of course. i've already voted three times.

Good lord
You actually did it
You absolute madman

>that guy who voted Infinite Jest and four John Green movies

I don't believe anyone on this board has actually read a novel from either DFW OR John Green.

*John Green books

i think all these charts/books should stop being listed as the "top 100" and something more representative of taste for a given year i.e. favorites of 2016 or some shit

it would make less people dismiss them since past top 100 lists have failed to gain traction

Stop pretending a confederacy of dunces is a noteworthy book, please.

3 votes already ffs

bump

Yes.

>collecting the votes of people who admit they are complete losers only
So... no different from the usual I guess.

Well, it is supposed to be representative of Veeky Forums. I might remove the John Green, though, from the final tally or have a note next to his name that designates it as memes.

It's to weed out those who are too serious to self-deprecate, and thus get the opinions of people who really matter

A sly declaration of new classic status slipped into a list of old safe ones.

>that guy who voted for 4 Bret Easton Ellis books and the art of the deal

You spelled it wrong again. Nabokov.

Voting on a Veeky Forums poll is already self-deprecation tbqh

>2666
>Journey By Moonlight
>Moby Dick
>My Struggle
>Kornél Esti

I wasted my votes on Hungarian literature I guess. They'll never make it into top 100.

>TFW you're a pleb that reads so little that your top 5 includes books you didn't even like

MAKE IT REQUIRE LOGIN FFS

What's the point? It's just going to be the exact same top 100 list as every other one, with maybe one or two variations.

gotta replace the stale memes with fresh ones

>thinks the meme trilogy is ever getting replaced

It is now, thought it was.

There's nothing lost from doing it. We had one for 2014 and 2015, might as well have one for 2016.

>Hungarian literature
MUH NIGGA, I've been going through a lot of Hungarian books this year. Absolutely undiscovered treasure trove of goodness. So far I really like Skylark and Satantango.

I vouch the following five:
Petersburg-Andrei Bely
War With the Newts-Karel Capek
Herzhog-Saul Bellows
Parade's End-Ford Maddox Ford
Skylark-Dezső Kosztolányi

the bottom half is what really changes and what im interested in. compare the bottom halves of the 2014 and 2015 charts.

The one in 2015 was kept up for at least three weeks. Got to keep it up long enough for people who don't come here frequently to get a chance.

It's a little early for it, but if you're volunteering to be this year's chart user then no objection from me, since that's a lot of work.

Definitely yes.

I agree, there are a lot of great literature from there.

>nobody voting for stirner

Why no one voting for Zettel's Traum?

I'll keep it up til the end of the month, or somewhere around there.

>already 80 votes

this list is gonna be S P I C Y

Anything you'd recommend from someone who enjoyed: Szerb, Kosztolányi, Krasznahorkai, Banffy, and Karinthy? I've heard Prae is supposed to be awesome and a lot like In Search of Lost Time but it seems like they've only translated the first novel in the series. No idea if it's worth getting and they have no commitment to do the rest.

>I'll cap it off after a week or two
cap it of after a day or two, letting things linger will just invite shitters

Crime and Punishment is only 2 votes behind Infinite Jest.

c-could it happen?

crime and punishment is actually in first because the guy that voted Infinite Jest 5 times doesn't count

I am the person who voted for Carlyle's History of the French revolution twice. Delete my last vote.
I thought it was a new poll that didnt include yesterday's votes.

What do you people find in Dostoevsky's preachy bullshit? He's completely incapable of writing characters, he can only do types. He's exactly like Houellebecq: bad essays barely disguised as fiction.

>completely incapable of writing characters
looks like you can't read

The DFW in 4xJohn Green definitely shouldn't be counted at all, since it's a legitimate entry besides being a meme

I voted for women and men, jerusalem, finnegans wake, bottom's dream, and phenomenology of spirit.

hey that's cool man

>People like you rig the US elections.

mods can we get a sticky please

There has been a lot of hype about The Door by Magda Szabó and I'd highly recommend it.
You've probably read more Hungarian literature than I have.

Dostoevsky is renowned for being able to write characters. It sounds like you just don't like him.

Renowned by whom?

Even the plebs editing wikipedia know what's up:

>Characters are brought together in extraordinary situations for the provoking and testing of the philosophical ideas by which they are dominated.

>failed to gain traction
If you mean people got mad because newfags were trying to make new charts, it's because all of those other threads were made before it had been a year since the last chart.
If you mean it doesn't gain traction as in it isn't popular, you must be too new to remember when the chart blew up on imgur and ruined this board.

I read both the faults in our stars and two DFW essay's about tennis

WHAT NOW MOTHERFUCKER?

Make Skylark a meme again

These lists are meme-tier, OP. You may as well just delete the thread.

That's the only time last year's OP fucked up, he let people get away with multivoting the meme

>failed to gain traction
I don't even know what you're trying to say and yet can see that you're wrong in every possible way (in other words kys)

does Veeky Forums even like infinite jest? i was thinking about rereading it soon but the results of this poll are making me start to think people voted him and post about him for the same reasons as john green

They just want to shitpost the same thing as everyone else because they can't actually think of any original and/or worthwhile to post and not posting isn't an option for them for some reason.

it's a meme book, not because of its contents but because of its fans. Read it and put it down if you don't like it.

>Renowned by whom?
Almost every author after him who had read him?

Name one.

read my post, i said that i have read it

Tolstoy

Something I don't understand, is why people vote Shadow of the Torturer instead of Book of the New Sun. SotT is just 1/4 of the novel, it's like voting War and Peace, part 1 instead of the whole War and Peace.

On another note, putting philosophy in the same basket as novels is limiting as fuck, there should be seperate charts for those.

Go on, what exactly did Tolstoy have to say about D's characters?

There are some that sincerely enjoy it, and others that ironically like it.

Nietzsche
Woolf
Kafka
Hemingway
Freud
Solzhenitsyn

It's like voting "Swann's Way" instead of
La Recherche du Temps Perdu

Hopefully the poll-taker can be informed that they ultimately refer to the same work.

so you did. So how is outside opinion at all relevant to you rereading it?

I'll make up a text file of books that are counted as other books. just let me know.

"He was suspicious, ambitious, difficult and miserable. Strange that he is read so much! I do not understand why"

so yeah, glowing review

Maybe you should also cook up a list of the top voted authors, to account for the fact that some Veeky Forums favorites who happen to be prolific are getting their votes split across four or five different titles, while other authors have all their votes for one book.

In Search of Lost Time is good, but I understand, even if it is a bit different for Proust and Wolfe.

You should probably regroup any votes for short stories/story collections (especially Gogol, Chekhov, Kafka) into a same compilation.

People will be referring indiscriminately to Beckett's "Trilogy" for Molloy, Malone Dies, the Unnameable.
Checking just now, there's already one.

How I should like to be able to say everything that I feel about Dostoevsky. You, describing your feeling, expressed a part of mine. I never saw this man and never had direct relations with him, and suddenly, when he died, I understood that he was the very, very closest, the dearest and most necessary man to me. I am a writer, and writers are all vain, envious. I at least am such a writer. And it never entered into my head to measure myself with him--never. Everything that he did (the good, the authentic that he did) was of the kind that the more he did it, the better it was for me. Art evokes in me envy, intellect also, but the work of the heart only joy. Thus I considered him my friend and could not think otherwise than that we should meet some time, and that if it hadn't come about, this was something pertaining to me. And suddenly at dinner--I was dining alone, late--I read that he died. Some kind of support gave way under me. I was dismayed, and then it became clear how he had been dear to me, and I wept and weep now."

"I wrote sincerely what I felt," Tolstoy told Dostoevsky's widow in 1885, apropos his letter to Strakhov, which she had seen. "Dostoevsky was for me a precious man and perhaps the only person whom I could ask about much and who might have answered much for me!"

Yeah, I'll probably do that too.

I've taken note of it. I'll do my best with the story collections but I can't take the time to look up every book that people mention.

Flannery O'Connor is also in the short story writer department.
Wolfe might also appear there.

>I can't take the time to look up every book that people mention.
You should at least try to resolve any non-English titles into their English equivalents when you count votes.

For anything else you'll probably have to rely on people who voted to review the spreadsheet and let you know if there are discrepancies (like the Wolfe voter who is telling you to unify Shadow of the Torturer with Book of the New Sun).

I like to think I'm well-versed enough to recognize a majority of the books listed here, so I should be able to take the time to look up the relatively few books/authors I don't recognize.

The spreadsheet is public so you'll be able to call me out if I'm making some mistake.

You should make it bound to account to prevent multiple votes and split philosophy from fiction.

>You should make it bound to account to prevent multiple votes
I thought he already did that

I've got the bound to account thing checked off so I don't know if there's anything more I can do there.

As for philosophy, I'm not going to make a seperate chart but maybe I'll have colored outlines over each book and a different color will be different things -- like blue for short stories, green for novels, etc.

Number vote 88 is only subtle memes, you can remove him.

I see two scenarios. One, his votes are insignificant and don't make it onto the top 100. Two, enough of Veeky Forums votes for it and thus it should be put on a chart as it is a representative of Veeky Forums.