What is the Feynman Lectures/SICP/Rudin of chemistry and biochemistry?

What is the Feynman Lectures/SICP/Rudin of chemistry and biochemistry?

Other urls found in this thread:

mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY&list=PL8FE88AA54363BC46
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dafuq is sicp

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Abelson and Sussman. They used to use it to teach 6.001 at MIT back in the day.

Lehninger for biochem

isnt that a highschool textbook?

Maybe these days. They didn't use in my high school when I took AP Computer Science. But that was 20 years ago.

mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY&list=PL8FE88AA54363BC46

If you ask an organic chemist they'd probably say anything to do with Woodward. He was a very skilled chemist with a lot of appeal and personality. I still think they ride his dick too hard though.

Molecular biology of the cell is THE book for undergraduate cellular/molecular biology

organic chemistry by clayden et al is the organic chemistry book.

Neither of them are a "course" like SICP is though.

They're books that basically are all you ever need to look at for 80% of your undergrad education in those disciplines

This. Encountered both of these.

Thanks. Any other opinions? What about for general chemistry? My problem with most intro texts I've encountered is that they entirely ignore the quantum mechanical viewpoint. How can you talk about atoms and molecules without talking about quantum mechanics?

don't let your reach exceed your grasp, non

Voet and Voet

Was just gonna post this.

Feynmann ?

Lol.

Most overrated lecture ever. Absolutely useless. 150 pages about him and his "conception of physics" before he started the class.

Absolute garbage.

Berkeley course is far better.

>watch a Feyman lecture
>gives wavelengths in terms of millionth of centimeters instead of nanometers
Behead those who insult the metric system.

Behead those who insult Veeky Forums !

Lehninger is very good for metabolism, but the book I've used the most is Molecules of Life.

Please. Veeky Forums is a board of peace.

>thinks the metric system requires prefixes

underrated post

What is motivation and context?

For intro cell biology, Molecular Biology of the Cell.

For first-semester biochemistry, Voet & Voet.

Molecules of Life is definitely a strong textbook. I think it's great to have, though within the context of undergraduate coursework (in a molecular biology or biochemistry or chemistry major) I don't really think it "fits" any course as well as the two examples above.

Molecules of Life would supplement various segments of a biophysical chemistry or biophysics course (another text that would work well here would be Dill's Molecular Driving Forces), but really I don't think you could "build" a course around these text books as seamlessly as you could around Voet & Voet or Molecular Biology of the Cell.

I think it's different at the graduate level. I'm a huge fan of Molecular Driving Forces, and Molecules of Life.

Its not general enough to be that, but I've started to read Cotton's Chemical Applications of Group Theory and I like this guy's style already. He doesn't seem to put up with bullshitting.

For Orgo, get Clayden. There are also some other books teaching retrosynthetic analysis that are based on Clayden.

Almost entirely useless for a physics course.

I lausghed heartily. Thanks, Mr. Doctor Professor

a meme book