Is he an actual scientist? Is he a meme? What are his contributions to astronomy?

Is he an actual scientist? Is he a meme? What are his contributions to astronomy?

I think the most he has is undeserved co-authored papers.

Yes, he is an actual scientist. Astrophysicist. Researcher at the University of Maryland, Princeton, and became director of the Hayden Planetarium. Lead author on a number of papers.

I believe he's retired from active research but is likely still a reviewer and advisor.

He gets a lot of hate because of his cringy twitter posts but if you meet him in person you'll see he's a cool guy who really does love physics

It's understandable that people hate him because of his egregious fame, especially when there are physicists out there doing much more strenuous research. However, he gets people interested in science and that's something we can all appreciate.

He's a fedora tipping clueless faggot.

He is a scientist, but like Dawkins&Friends, he spends a lot of his time speaking of things he knows nothing about, instead of simply being an astrophysicist.

He's by no means a great scientist but yes he is an "actual" scientist with papers and everything. His talent lies in self-promotion and to a lesser extent in didactism, he's a celebrity more than he is a scientist.

>that's something we can all appreciate
Not only something we all appreciate but also something we need. We need people like him to make regular people get into popsience at least if we want our government to put more money on NASA and other science butgets with peoples aproval. He is doing a big job on that.

he's only popular with people like the average viewers of the big bang theory. White liberals love him because, 1), they love the idea of a black scientist even though he's basically a trained monkey, and 2), he tells them God isn't real, fully bringing them to orgasm.

>What are his contributions
Really cool and nice memes

His dad died today by the way.

That's very true, as it is our astronauts are bumming rides off the Russians to get to the ISS which is rather embarrassing for a global superpower. If more people recognize the importance of astrophysics and space exploration then doubtless we'll see an increase in budget and enthusiasm for our progress towards the stars.

If you want to talk about a pop-sci guy who isn't a scientist, and has no educational authority to say, for instance, debate evolution, then you wanna talk about this guy, not black science man.

I watched a video of him explaining the twin paradox the other day. He totally butchered it--it was bad. I'm not entirely sure he's doing the world a service, but if he's getting people interested in science, that can't be bad...right? I don't have pop-sci influences and I don't know many colleagues who do either, but maybe we just grew up too early for this.

>the refugee crisis in Europe was caused because of global warming

I swear Bill Nye is a retard sometimes

His degree is mechanical engineering.
Source: he told me, 25 years ago.

>Bill Nye the B.Eng guy

How do you know he isn't self taught?

>We need science so the government will give us more money
Private industry > govbux

loser

The ISS is a useless fucking space ornament.
I'm not paying for someone's vacation to LEO.
NASA hasn't done shit in 50 years.

Only neck beards on Veeky Forums can self-teach, you fuckwit

Private industry doesn't advance science just for science's sake. We need both.

Lrn2meme fgt pls

He's a meme in the most actual, literal, appropriate sense. Not even memeing right now. If there's one word to completely encapsualte Neil "smoke" DeGrasse Tyson, it's the word meme.

If you were anyone doing actual science and/or engineering then you would know that self-teaching and autodidact-ism are the basic skills for anyone serious about their work/research, because you constantly need to learn and absorb new information after you got your degree for the next 30-40 years. Especially that more and more shit is interdisciplinary today.

On the other hand I don't know how to feel about that guy. He got some cool shit, but as he got older he started to bring his own subjective yet incomplete opinion into shit just like everyone else does.

agreed

government advances science for the sake of dick-waving, like the olympics, and they do it by wasting other people's money with useless projects like a manned mission to the moon.

Why should anyone advance science just for science's sake? Science is not inherently worthwhile.

And here comes the nihilistic faggot to shit up the thread
Of course science is worthwhile you twit

Riiiight, nothing practical, useful, profitable comes from scientific investigations. Ever, right?

Because most of the time we discovered something was useful wayyy after we discovered it.

Fucking bill nye. Big think should have asked richard the fedora man instead.
Its worse than discussing philosophy- hes trying to educate people on a field he has no background in.
If you watch his newer videos you can see him struggle to answer questions.

He's the Black Michio Kaku.

Bill Nye is a huge asshole in person.

I swear I'm not talking about the stealing candy bars pasta either.

/thread
Also top kek

Yep. He's an entertainer at best. A F ing moron and liberal media schill at worst.

>Veeky Forums
>F ing

Really mate?

Except Michio Kaku has made very real contributions to string theory...

Who is the categorically "best" black scientist of all time?

Just looking him up real quick brings up something about improving the measurement of Hubble Constant and that he coauthored something with the guy who went on to win Nobel Prize in Physics in 2011. Wikipedia says he was also a researcher at some institutions. At
a young age he showed promise in the field of astronomy, but being a media personality was probably far too enticing.

You're not on the right board.

>if you meet him in person you'll see he's a cool guy

That's not what I've heard at all.

>What are his contributions to astronomy?
Being a black astronomer.