I just got back from a Seafood restaurant. Bill came out to $87. I left a $11 dollar tip...

I just got back from a Seafood restaurant. Bill came out to $87. I left a $11 dollar tip. I realize 15% is like one or two dollars more.

Waitress seemed a bit pissed off. Now I'm pissed because I don't get how anyone can justify not getting a bigger tip JUST because the food they serve is more expensive when they do the same exact fucking work as someone working at a fairly priced menu restaurant.

Grill me Veeky Forums, how fucked up am I?.

Can't help ya there bud. My country pays employers a decent living wage so I don't have to bother with such trivial things, but maybe next time use the calculator on your phone to work out the exact percentage you are required to pay extra.

To be honest I don't see the point in tipping more than a few dollars unless the waitress goes out of his/her way to do extra

>left a tip greater than 0%

You really fucked up, son. Don't tip, ever. They give you shit, tell them to "fuck right off." That's it. Problem solved.

i'm not trying to start or participate in one of these threads but the justification for tipping more at a highly paid restaurant is that waiters are in fact expected to be better at the job

Depends, how many people were in your group?
Getting an $11 tip on a 3 or 4 top isn't great but it's also not that bad.
Getting an $11 tip on an 8 top is like spitting in their open mouths

I would tip extra for her to spit in my open mouth if she was hot

2 adults 1 kid

Tipping 15% is a custom where?
Tip what you can afford.
If your wealthy tip more.

It seems your confused about something.

>go to bar
>get drunk
>forget to tip bartender
>still feel bad 9 months later
feels bad man

Then yeah $11 is cheap but nothing to scowl about.

I thought 15% was the standard?. She even circled it on the bottom of my receipt where it had the tip calculated.

I delivered pizzas during high school/college. I've said it to my friends and I will say it to you Veeky Forums, if you tip your pizza driver you are a cuck. At pizza hut, I made $7.25 an hour, plus $1.00 per delivery, PLUS your tips. I pulled $300 in tips per week on top of a normal minimum wage. And I'm an ugly guy, the qts made much more in tips.

Thats exactly how I see it. For me that' a huge tip.

You should find out that bartenders name and address. Leave the money under their pillow with a note: sorry I didn't tip 9 months ago. Feels good man.

> She even circled it on the bottom of my receipt where it had the tip calculated.
You should've tipped nothing, fuck her.
I normally tip 20-25% because whatever, I can afford it, but if they had the audacity to tell me what to tip they can right fuck off

I keep seeing posts about this, and have to say american tipping culture is fucking ridiculous.
The rest of the world manages to pay serving staff a living wage, and yet americans feel minimum wage is fine, so long as they enforce a stupid policy whereby tipping a certain amount is basically mandatory. Servers have to rely on the ability of chefs, menu price, and volume of customers to make a living. Plus the customer feels demonised for leaving say 10%, something that would be considered nice in Europe. As someone who has worked both front and back of house, my system for tipping is as follows
10% for providing food as it is on the menu, being friendly, and no more
15% for the above and an fully enjoyable meal
20% for above and beyond; recommendations on dishes, pairings, and generally memorable meal
Over this for service and food that expands my horizons, and will stand out in my memory.

I feel the same way about restaurants like that. How long are people at a restaurant? Like an average of 45 minutes to an hour and a half? So let's say you're serving me for an hour, you're not actually just waiting on my that whole time, let's say you have 5 tables. I don't care what you're serving, if all 5 tables tip you 11$ that's 55$ you made in an hour on top of your hourly wage. I don't think you're doing 55$ worth of work in an hour.

And yet you don't complain about having to spend more on the seafood itself?

You realize how ridiculous it is to basically just wonder aloud "why are things expensive"

Basically i'm wondering if you're a fucking retard.

The anti tip circlejerk around here is pretty annoying but I agree with you in general

The problem with your argument is that more expensive restaurants tend to offer a higher level of service and that results in their servers receiving fewer tables

So I would ONLY do this if I were at a generally middle of the road place and ordered a 64oz steak or 3 lobsters because youre paying for the ingredients, not the service. If your bill is huge because you made her keep bringing you beer you should adjust appropriately

Most decent places don't seat more than 3 tables at a time per server, plus rotation between servers. Plus servers base pay is 2.15 an hour minus taxes which more often then not comes out to 0 dollar checks. Young people generally don't tip well and old ass people (over 55-60) don't tip well either, women, black people. Best bet is a middle aged white man or family. Kids suck though. Also if the server circles the percentage at the bottom of the check it's probably because they think your a long shot for a decent tip if anything.

If you can't tip 15% then get it to go. Servers keep track of who tips and who doesn't to the point where servers will scowl and fight over who has to serve you. Way to go not only are you cheap but everyone hates you too.

>find out what minimum wage for servers is in your area
>keep track of how much time you spend there
>pay the difference between min wage and what you feel their service was worth

>for example, if you spend 45 minutes at a restaurant, and the min. wage for servers is 2.13/hr, and the server went above and beyond in every aspect, I would tip them $9.65 so that they are getting paid an equivalent of $15/hr

>burgers have to do that much research into tipping

Just go 10% for decent service, more for great service and less for terrible service. It isn't hard.

>The anti tip circlejerk

You mean the way the rest of the world works?

>is so poor he can't afford a phone to do ten seconds worth of calculations on

>is so stupid he can't do them on the back of a napkin

just tip based on how much time she spent based on minimum wage, double it because tax I guess
5 mins = 5*7.25/60 = 60 cents *2 = $1.20

>is so poor that he considers poor people human and cares about their wages

>he needs a phone or a napkin to calculate base 10 fractions

10% as a base means you're a cheap piece of shit who can't afford to eat out. Stick to McDon's.

I only eat out a few times a year when I take holidays. Going to Osteria Francescana this August, and seeing as their wine pairing is 130 euros, I'd say 10% of the whole cost is not unreasonable, and that's assuming the most basic and simple service.

yes I do, it's a cultural difference. It would be like complaining japanese people have weird toilets. It isn't going to change and it's culturally insensitive to disparage it

but by all means go ahead and have your fun

Are you in Modena?
It's pretty nice this time of the year.

I wish, but no. I'm an english chef.

Dammit dude, get yourself over here.
Pre tourist season is buzzing, lots of free wine tastings and restaurant open nights.

Culturally insensitive? Doing something in a more sensible way isn't culturally insensitive, it's just, well, sensible. That's like saying free healthcare is culturally insensitive.

Literly this if their made ur note tiping tell them too fuq of and make there maniger pays them more

How long in advance did you have to book?

>living in a 3rd world country where employers don't pay enough for employees to comfortably live on

>Literly this if their made ur note tiping tell them too fuq of and make there maniger pays them more
Are you taking the piss?

>base pay is $2.15

not in non-shitty states like california. you get paid at least minimum wage

I don't know the rules of tipping in europe or if it varies per country, however in America its 20% usually.

Could I ask whereabouts?

European here, what is the difference between base pay and minimum wage?

Took me months of arguing with my head chef just to get a weeks holiday, can't really just get anywhere. Here's hoping it's still got a great atmosphere when I visit

I booked last year, but I don't know how early or late you can book. It's always been a dream of mine to go.

Bedfordshire

No, I live in California. They make minimum wage. Even if you're making $30 in tips per hour plus minimum wage,

no it isnt, we call it "tipping culture" for a reason

running with the bulls isn't sensible either, nor is deep frying pizza

There is a state and a federal minimum wage. I think minimum wage in my area is like 15$ an hour. Shitty corporate run red states have this loophole that allowed them to pay their servers basically nothing, on the assumption that they will be tipped

Tips are earned. In most countries they don't even tip more than 5 dollars.

I don't ever tip.

Some shitty states allow restaurants to have wages that are below minimum wage if the person makes it up in tips. Restaurants are supposed to pay the difference whenever tips don't cover it, but what they usually do is fire anyone who ever inquires.

In some states, some service jobs can pay less than the legal minimum and count tips towards fulfilling the rest of the requirement. It is the main reason tipping is so widespread in the US. Some people literally live off of tips

Bear in mind that the tip doesn't go to just one person in a nice restaurant, it's typically divided between the front-of-house staff (hosts/maƮtre d's, bartenders, bussers, waitstaff, often expediters, sommeliers, etc.) One of the things that makes more expensive restaurants cost more is that there are more personnel to provide better service to make the dining experience pleasant.

Also, it is not the "same exact fucking work" at a nice restaurant; people aren't interchangeable, and hiring is much, much more selective. Denny's waitstaff would generally lack the experience and demeanor required by a high end restaurant, the same way their chef would, and that's why the personnel expect higher compensation at high end establishments.

This. I was a server for couple of years and, while I'd never make it clear to the customers cause it's rude as hell, I would get pretty upset when the tip was slimmer than expected. Paying for your own schooling is fucking rough, chap

>let's say you have 5 tables
Almost anywhere you work, your section is 3 tables.
Of those three tables, this is how it usually pans out for one rotation:
>an elderly couple who split one entree and tip $1-2
>a family with kids whose kids knock over drinks, throw food on the floor, and generally make a horrible mess, who tip about 10-15%
>a group of adults who come to have a huge meal occasion, they each tip separately on their separate bills where some will tip 20% and others nothing at all, and they will take up your table for 2 hours or more which means you have lost your third table of income until they leave

Other favorites include
>huge black church family that runs you ragged asking for extra sauce, extra drinks, extra spoons, take this entree back, now take this one back, where's my salad (you didn't order a salad), etc, meanwhile the head of the family keeps assuring you that you're in for a great tip, then they leave 7%
>basically any black people at all
>group of 4-8 teenagers who each get separate checks and leave spare change
>grandma who has taken the grandkids out for lunch and leaves $1-2

The only table I will gladly take is a family with teenage/adult kids, white church groups, or a group of business execs who pay with the company card.

American tipping is a fucking joke. You shouldn't be subsidising their wages because their employees are cheapskates. In the U.K. We pretty much always tip, however it varies depending on how we as customers feel about the service/experience so friendlier waiters will get more and good food will also encourage a good tip.

>it's typically divided between the front-of-house staff
That's called tip pooling and it's illegal in several states.

>Tips a fuckload of money
>Waiters still want more

American tipping is cancer. I never tip unless the service is phenomenal and food amazing. And even then I dont leave tips if they have a 10% service.

This

I own a restaurant. We do have suggested gratuity on the printed checks. If any of our servers circled that shit it would be their last shift and they know it. If they bitch about a shitty tip the first thing I ask them is what did they do to deserve it? I expect our servers to give our guests an experience. By that I mean their service should compliment the meal. I don't hire order takers I hire them to extract as much money from the customer as humanly possible. They determine what they get tipped, if they get a lot of shitty tips, I know it's because they give shit service and they are promptly removed.

>That's called tip pooling and it's illegal in several states.
In what states is it illegal? I know there are state-specific rules, and there were some changes based on last year's 9th district ruling that employers couldn't split tip pools with back-of-house staff like cooks and dishwashers, but didn't realize the practice was outright banned in any state.

If you can't afford to tip don't go out to eat. 15-17 is appropriate for your bill.

you making up these stereotypes is why i dont tip

t. middle aged white man

If you dont know shit about food, the menu, the wine pairings, or anything more than your average red robins server, you're not getting a markup on the tip for no fucking reason. The chefs deserve that markup

I really don't see any reason to tip at all, it's he restaurant's responsibility to pay their workers, not mine.
Also, waiting staff having the audacity to get angry at people for not giving them free money is ridiculous, and goes to show they're not professional enough to earn a proper tip even if it wasn't retarded in the first place.

Personally I'd only leave 10 bucks. If the service was super good, then 13 to make it an even 90. If the service was sub par, less to nothing.

Your tip was more than decent, and if your waitress was pissed off then fuck her.

Of course, if you want to eat there again within the next weeks, it might be a problem if the staff is pissed at you.

I have to go on business trips about every 6 months for a couple of weeks, and every night I'm there I go to a different restaurant and don't tip at all.

a couple of times waiters have come outside when I'm leaving and asked me if something was wrong and I've told them to fuck off. LOL

when I'm back home I tip normally just because I don't want my food messed with but when I'm just visiting and will never be back these scum can fuck off.

lol I love imagining how personally offended they get when I don't pay them extra simply for doing their job I'm already paying for. entitled losers

This exactly. What other industry puts the stress of directly paying employees on the customer? None. You work at that shit job and don't like the fact that your employer won't fairly compensate you, organize for collective bargaining. Oops, that won't work. Because the skill level to carry a tray of food and drinks can be achieved by a chimpanzee.

Fuck America is fucking backwards, how you retards become the superpower is beyond me.

This is why if I eat out, it's at a cheap fast food place. Fast, loads cheaper, and I don't have to pretend the food is better because it's more expensive, and no retarded tip.

Server reporting. I make 20-25% average every night. At least you left something, there's nothing worse than tipping busser/ bartender on a table and you didn't make any difference from it.

Me and a heap of my mates went on a cruise the other month. We tipped our waiters at the end of the trip because they were amazing to us the entire 2 weeks.

Felt good to reward people for exceptional service in a place where tipping is not required or even generally thought about. If it was required like burderland then it's not a fucking tip, it's just paying the server tax, it takes away from the experience of actually rewarding cunts.

>and yet americans feel minimum wage is fine
they actually get less than minimum wage because of tipping

>he tips

might as well tip that fedora too you tremendous cuck

I bet you the stupid bitch waitress would curse out a cashier if they gave her excellent service and asked for a tip, even if it was a dollar.

Fuck waitresse and waiters.

Europoors are no better then niggers when it comes to tipping

You forgot the part about never going back

I went to a cafe a few weeks back and I had to tip before I got my tea

>Tipping the busser more then 3 dollars a night when they make minimum wage

Wow you're a moron. Pizza delivery is one of the few jobs that deserves a tip. Shitty weather, assholes that don't put their lights on, fucked up shit, oh deliver it to the garage behind the house, bad weather, traffic, niggers, etc.

I used to deliver in pizza in pittsburgh and by the end of the night i was always ready to murder someone.

Plus, a lot of places are jews to their drivers and make the clock out the second they come back until the next time they leave on a delivery.

i dont think niggers would taste good grilled.

>but the justification for tipping more at a highly paid restaurant is that waiters are in fact expected to be better at the job

How can you be better at literally doing the same thing as what you would normally do at a mid-tier or lower tier establishment.

>smile at customer and greet them
>take order
>Bring food
>occasionally check up on them to see if they are satisfied

It's just an excuse for them (servers) to be snobbish and greedy.

I usually only tip $2 straight unless they were a complete ass or went out of their way to be a good server/delivery boy.

Tipping is why I avoid sit-down restaurants, it's annoying, I don't want someone hovering around me, and I think it's unfair that it's a percentage of total bill instead of time spent sitting there or amount of service.

I'm in Canada, and outside of bars, serving staff still have the same minimum wage at everybody else - and they still expect to get tip.

You're a dumbass, the people involved have more experiance doing those things, and among your self entitled cropped list they have to bus tables, deal with disgruntled clientel professionally, and other miscelanious tasks. To work at a restaurant that serves more expensive food these people have to have more job experience, better clothes, more make up, better perfume, etc. IT's harder to get a gig in a nice restaurant. They require more experiance.

I say that as a back of house who doesn't have a shit to give about front who make off with all the tips, still make just as much as I am since I'm in a state that isn't shit, and do less work than I am.

>clothes, more make up, better perfume

So we're subsidizing for required elements of their position?. Still shouldn't their employers be providing this bullshit?. Its their employees. Maybe pay them minimum wage and they won't be too poor to afford a decent bottle of perfume every couple months. I need a car to get to work, nobody tips me faggot.

I don't mind the concept of tipping for good service but I hate that it's used as a ransom for spit-free food. I'd like to see an experiment where instead of leaving your tip on the table where the waitress can see how much you left, everyone had a jar with their name on it by the door, along with one for the kitchen staff. I'm willing to bet that shitty waitresses would get almost nothing while good ones would get about the same,

Not ere, servers and bussers make 5.08, I started as a busser. Thenagain it is a chain.

i love these 3rd world country-threads

>Maybe pay them minimum wage
They do.

In US if tips don't make it to minimum wage the business must make up the difference.

>They do.

They don't here in the states, because we're fucking retarded.

Yes they do.

They really don't though, but I see what you're saying. Theoretically they must are guaranteed minimum wage. It's still a fucking fight between patrons and restaurant owners of who's going to cover their "minimum wage". I should have said "employers should pay them minimum wage". Employers now printing calculated tips and waitresses circling them and shit and like some other anons said, even the waitresses basically give patrons shittier service and attitudes towards certain people if they foresee them not getting a good tip. The whole restaurant atmosphere is contaminated because of this retarded fucking system and it all goes back to restaurant owners going full fucking jew and thinking they should get an edge by not paying minimum wage like everyone else does.

If only everyone just stopped tipping, it'd fix itself in a week.

that is illegal and is not a thing that actually happens.

the employer may pay them less than minimum wage but if the employee can show that tips are not bringing to minimum wage or over the employer MUST then pay the difference.

The only people you are legally, over-the-table allowed to pay less than minimum are people with mental disabilities.

yes dumbass,
if that sounds stupid to you you are a fucking shit head, no one is going to take a job where you have to wear an actual tux if you don't give them the payroll to afford the fucking shit.

>no one is going to take a job where you have to wear an actual tux if you don't give them the payroll to afford the fucking shit

waitresses do you fucking moron. They literally accept a job offer where they get paid LESS than minimum wage in the hopes that they get tipped properly OR they get minimum fucking wage. This is the problem, they get PISSED OFF at the wrong goddamn person when they don't get what they expect. They blame the customer. This is wrong. They need to look UP at their employer or even themselves for being so fucking goddamn stupid to have fallen for the whole "the guy ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MUST, NO QUESTION ABOUT IT leave me a tip".

Found the braindead liberal.

No one is holding a gun to that waitress' head.

>The only people you are legally, over-the-table allowed to pay less than minimum are people with mental disabilities.
You can pay minors subminimum too, in some states. I think you have to fire them every 2.99 or 5.99 months so they stay in a training period or something.