Trying to redpill my girlfriend on frozen vegetables

Trying to redpill my girlfriend on frozen vegetables.

Sure, fresh might be tastier overall for cooking, but frozen is way cheaper.

What are some good meals you can make with frozen vegetables?

Other urls found in this thread:

nutritionfacts.org/video/sometimes-the-enzyme-myth-is-true/
nutritionfacts.org/video/second-strategy-to-cooking-broccoli/
nytimes.com/2005/02/16/style/dining/the-minimalist-frosty-the-vegetable.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

frozen isn't cheaper unless you are living in Norway or something.

>redpill
Fuck off

Sometimes they're "flash pasteurized" which destroys some enzymes that do interesting stuff.

nutritionfacts.org/video/sometimes-the-enzyme-myth-is-true/

nutritionfacts.org/video/second-strategy-to-cooking-broccoli/

Always cheaper in Minnesota. I eat a pound of Brussels sprouts or broccoli most days.

the only frozen veggie I buy regularly is green peas.

Fresh carrots are cheap. broc and caul are ok but nothing special

oh.

it's not cheaper huh?
okay fresh it is.

my apologizes.
i won't speak that way here.

>Sure, fresh might be tastier overall for cooking, but frozen is way cheaper.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
When big holland bell peppers hit $4/each, then when Birds Eye pepper medley goes on sale for 2/$3 a bag, then yea, frozen is cheaper. Sometimes, like in the case of peas, frozen is actually fresher, due to advanced glazing and flash freezing techniques. I feed a cockatoo who pretty much only likes corn, and for out of season when it's nearly $1 a cob, oh heck, I am definitely buying frozen little coblets, and it's sometimes crisper than what is sold in fresh produce.
Edamame, frozen. Frozen shelled beans vs boiling dried beans to death, yea, big difference.

Where the fuck do you live that bell peppers are $4 each? I'm in NYC and they are ~$1/lb or at most 1 for $1.

An excerpt from a Feb 2005 Mark Bittman article in the NYT, in praise of certain frozen vegetables ( nytimes.com/2005/02/16/style/dining/the-minimalist-frosty-the-vegetable.html ):

"Some vegetables still seem better fresh: dark leafy greens like kale, collards and spinach (all of which can be grown somewhere in the United States year round); and broccoli, potatoes, onions and carrots, which keep well and are popular enough to turn over fast.

But wallflower root vegetables like turnips tend to sit around and are better frozen than waxed and mushy. And peas, corn, green beans and beans you can rarely buy fresh -- limas, favas and edamame -- and my now-beloved pepper strips are all better bets frozen, from now until at least May."

Stirfry. The vegetables end up tasteless because they were frozen, but by using a decent stir fry sauce, it doesn't matter.

frozen corn and peas are fine

frozen green beans, broccoli and carrots can fuck right off

>can rarely buy green beans fresh
I call shenanigans

His wording was poor; that's not what he meant. He was including peas, corn, and green beans as better bets frozen, as well as beans that you can rarely buy fresh (limas, favas, and edamame, for example). You can buy fresh green beans and corn most anywhere in the US year-round, they just don't compare that well to frozen when they have to be shipped quite a ways, in his opinion.

This is what I do. Stir fried rice is my go to dinner now because it's cheap, filling, and somewhat nutritious.

Probably Canada.

I'm in Ontario, red bell peppers are like $4/lb minimum. Sometimes green gets up to that level too.

I don't want to live here anymore.

The best frozen veggie meal I've had is bacon fried rice.

>fry bacon until it's 50% cooked, depending on how fatty your bacon it you may want to drain a bit of grease
>add veggies straight from frozen, cook till thawed completely
>Add cooked rice
>add a bit of soy sauce
>mix it together and fry until the mixture starts to brown

It's not gourmet, but it's easy, cheap and because you use bacon grease as the fat the bacon flavour is quite strong.

If you can get them cheaper, they're great for adding to stews, pies, etc. Otherwise fresh is better.

curr9ies

>frozenprocessedshit
Cancer. Your girlfriend is right, so don't be a mightier than thou asshat

>processed
What's added or removed?

Sodium and preservatives are added to "freshly frozen vegetables" to make them last even longer in the freezer.

And not one god damn recipe with frozen vegetables has been posted yet. Well done /ck

>What's removed?
Freshness

>(nytimes.com/2005/02/16/style/dining/the-minimalist-frosty-the-vegetable.html ):
>):

>pound of Brussels sprouts or broccoli most days
Aight then.

>Trying to redpill my girlfriend
>on frozen vegetables.
kys

>>>/Facebook

There is a huge flavor drop off when comparing fresh vegetables to frozen ones. It's like eating a hand made sausage from a butcher vs some SPAM. Im not really sure if the nutritional content is worse, Id bet a quick google search would provide that answer. You also can't cook frozen vegetables in as many ways that you can cook fresh veg. It's fucking frozen and pre cut All you can really do with that shit is steam it. Maybe she is lazy and doesn't give a fuck about cutting vegetables to specific sizes and shapes based on the dish. If you want a fast side for dinner frozen is ok, but even then fresh vegetables cook faster. The only advantage frozen vegetables have is how long you can keep them before going bad.

>Total idiocy

Almost invariably, frozen vegetables are better quality than fresh vegetables from a shop. On the other hand, they are almost invariably worse quality than garden vegetables. But since my garden doesn't have bell peppers, I'll have frozen, thanks

Okay, but I'll need two weeks alone in the Caribbean with your girlfriend and you're paying.

That's only 3-4 servings. You know that right?

I do and I can confirm. It's something like 1/3rd the price of fresh stuff

> There is a huge flavor drop off when comparing fresh vegetables to frozen ones.

Nobody would argue that frozen is better tasting or more flexible than freshly picked. But "fresh" in grocery store terms can mean picked weeks or months earlier, which also takes its toll on flavor. Frozen veggies have their place.

That's the thing people don't get. The frozen vegetables are flash frozen soon after picking so they retain a lot of their nutrients, texture and flavor. Those fresh green beans and corn in your grocer, especially off season? They've travelled thousands of miles and been warehoused for weeks. You might as well eat newspaper.

That's a brave request without seeing a picture of her first.

>frozen isn't cheaper unless you are living in Norway or something.

Iceland (UK) does decent frozen food deals which often beat the price of fresh veg.

I'd hate to live with you
BRARRRRP!

>Almost invariably, frozen vegetables are better quality than fresh vegetables from a shop
Do you shop at a garbage dump?

show where immigrants shop and you will find good deals on produce.

>12g of dietary fiber
>Daily recommendation is around 35g

Oh the horror.

Why can I not find frozen peas in a pod anywhere? I'd like it for stir frying but I haven't seen any.

I have no idea how we're supposed to help you given that you didn't mention anything about where you live.

They should be called "sugar snap peas." If you looked for those and can't find them you're probably out of luck.

Are you retarded?

Sorry my bad, I wasn't expecting serious help or anything, was just curious if anybody else expected this.

I live in Northern Colorado. I've checked King Soopers and Wal-Mart, neither seemed to have it

I'll have to take a look. I seem to recall seeing those but the bag made it seem that they were all removed from the pea pod.

I am not a big fan of normal peas, but the pods make them tasty