How far underground would I have to build my nuclear reactor so that when it melts down those idiot surface dwellers...

How far underground would I have to build my nuclear reactor so that when it melts down those idiot surface dwellers wouldn't notice?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How do you intend to cool it when it's underground?

What difference being underground make? Same as a surface reactor. They have them in submarines.

Build a large hole for water to fall into (have to live near a large body of water for this to work) that connects to the reactors heat exchanger loop, and have another tunnel that vents the steam back out

anyone who looks will just assume a natural steam hole has opened up. It's the perfect coverup

the submarine is cooled by moving through cold water

I suppose you could cool the reactor by having it tunnel rapidly through the ground behind a drill like a giant earthworm, and where it contacts the tunnel walls heat will bleed off

the drill friction will generate additional heat

Enh that's sort of impractical. My question was more about how good dirt is as a radiation shield and disguising other phenomena associated with a meltdown that might give it away.

What if you somehow buried a copper plate 1 square kilometer under the ground, and then below that had the reactor, with thousands of copper tubes (maybe 1 per square meter or something like that) leading back to the reactor, so the heat is dissipated over a massive area

assuming you could build this in the first place, would if be "good enough" at heat dissipation?

I guess it might not be that bad if it went in a circle, but it wouldn't be stealthy at all, I'd have to smash all the Richter scales nearby.

What the fuck man

Wait, but if I was going in a circle, I could predrill my tunnel and lose the drill altogether. Hmmmmmmm. Still would make a lot of noise when I am setting it up, but I guess that's impossible to avoid because I'd have to excavate no matter what I do.

If you're going to dig underground, just build a geothermal power plant, n00b!

Radiation shielding scales with mass. In that sense, you're far better off building a giant pool than digging a massive hole underground. That's what they do in nuclear reactors when they're about to decommission "spent" fuel. They dump it in water pools till it's more or less safe to handle and put in containers. It's so fool proof you can even swim on the surface without experiencing any sort of radiation hazard.

>How far underground would I have to build my nuclear reactor so that when it melts down those idiot surface dwellers wouldn't notice?

underneath the water table, in solid bedrock with no way of contacting the water table.

if you do that you should be fine.

How deep is that

about 6 fitty

Even if it was good enough, that's so unreasonable and expensive that it's a retarded question no matter what. Just use fucking water like everyone else lol.

i built mine in my bedroom

>search shows no results
i want to believe

I thought about building one of these a while ago but a pressure-rated chamber would cost me several hundred dollars and the power supply was expensive enough as it was.

It is mine. I however have since moved and it is in pieces now.

And what is it user? You can tell me, you're safe here, I'm just a random stranger and totally not Agent Johnson from the FBI.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor

arent there plenty of underwater streams and lakes?
it would also be easier to dam it up in the event of a meltdown to prevent dangerous materials from escaping

Relevant thread, just wondering what's a good non-dramatized documentary on Fukushima?
Don't want none of this "Nuur nuklea is ebil" shit. Just something that sticks to the chain of events

Use ground water you massive tard.

So much this. lol

>Build reactor underground
>Reactor melts down
>No one can get to it
>Radioisotopes leak out
>Now errything contaminated

What a dumb idea.