For the purposes of science fiction, what would be the most convincing way to send information backwards through time...

For the purposes of science fiction, what would be the most convincing way to send information backwards through time? I've done some light research and (if I'm being generous) I've picked up a cursory understanding of popular quantum physics, but I'm not able to articulate a satisfying method for a time-traveling file transfer.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Library_of_Babel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon
youtube.com/watch?v=89F5fpvwPr0
math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/tachyons.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

writing it down on a piece of paper and placing it into a magic box

you can't go back in time and this isn't a fiction board

This has already been done.

All you need to do is find the message in the Library of Babel.

I'm not trying to time travel, I'm interested in writing a story and I want to use decent science to base my science fiction upon. /x/ is full of flat-earth bilderberg were-centaurs.

I have no idea what this is.

just say you bent time with magnets

>I have no idea what this is

The Library of Babel is a library filled with books that all have 410 pages, each page has 3200 characters of only lower-case letters, space, comma, and period. In the books are every combination of characters in existence. Thus, the library contains all works of man in the past, present, and future.

I don't see how that would work though.

If you want to send a message to yourself in the past, just search for it now in the library.

that doesn't make sense though

It doesn't work for the purposes of my story, it's just a smug deflection like every other reply in this thread.

It is actually FROM a sci-fi book and the only legit way to read future messages.

If I could come up with a LEGITIMATE way to transfer information backwards through time I wouldn't waste my time writing science fiction stories. I'm just looking for theoretical basis to build a story upon... You know, beyond magic boxes.

Extreme relativistic differences could allow it, but you'd need access to a black hole (not that black holes really exist).

Sounds like the plot of interestellar.

I guess you're right. But, the black hole is just a magic box.

Right. This whole thing got started between my wife and I. She texted me a less lethal version of the grandfather paradox, and we talked about time travel for a bit. Anyway, I started thinking out loud about a machine that would upload an image of your present self to a server that could be accessed across time, and then overwrite the mind of your past self. You'd set an appointment for yourself some number of years in the future, walk into a room and -poof- inherit years of lived experience.

I wanted to play around with potential consequences in fiction.

There is literally no science that backs time travel to the past or future.

The only thing that has a basis is relativistic aging Ala twin paradox.

If you could send information faster than light, you would receive the message before information (at light speed) would be conveyed that you sent it. But this doesn't mean that you can send it to yourself 10 years ago.

The only way this would actually make sense is if you sent information across the galaxy.

Tldr: the past and future don't exist so you can't go there. Literally all Sci fi that does has to use bullshit handwaving. See interstellar or star trek.

OP just find that notebook from that faggy chick flick about that notebook. You know the one. Thats how that shit worked right?

>Popular quantum mechanics

Someone tell me what the fuck I'm seeing here.

>Someone tell me what the fuck I'm seeing here.

The guy who said it is a library of books a liar though. It is an algorithm.

Let us simplify the program. Lets say that there are only two characters, A and B. And that the max length of every book is simply 10 characters.

Then you can start thinking about how to generate all the possible combinations of the characters with a max length of 10.

Then you write a function that takes as input a string of characters (like ABBA) and then generates what is "around" that string.

That is all.

Jesus what the fuck?

Maybe it was the same guy?

microwaves

He was talking about the library in the story,

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Library_of_Babel

Which has physical books.

Please stop posting on internet.

>I'm just looking for theoretical basis to build a story upon

Then you're wasting your time because all theories agree such a thing is impossible. Magic boxes are the best you'll find.

You could have telescopes pointed to the sky where the listener thinks the sender will be when he sends the message picking up some tachyonic signal. I am not really sure If tachyons really would allow for sending information back in time or only FTL. Search tachyonic telephone.

>I am not really sure If tachyons really would allow for sending information back in time or only FTL.

How about "neither"? Even assuming tachyons exist, there's no conceivable way to use them for anything.

TACHYONS

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon

youtube.com/watch?v=89F5fpvwPr0

TRIPLE 6

OH SHIT IM FEEELING IT

>The bottom line is that you can't use tachyons to send information faster than the speed of light from one place to another. Doing so would require creating a message encoded some way in a localized tachyon field, and sending it off at superluminal speed toward the intended receiver. But as we have seen you can't have it both ways: localized tachyon disturbances are subluminal and superluminal disturbances are nonlocal.
math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/tachyons.html

the past and the future do not actually exist.

Veeky Forums is terribly uncreative, but I'll give you my elevator pitch. The universe is 3 spacial dimensions and 1 temporal dimension. This means you can move along 3 different axises in space, but only one axis, and one direction, in time. Now, if time had 2 dimensions, you would be able to go sideways outside of the present and loop backward and forward at will. You could incorporate the other scifi concept of parallel universes to justify this. You broadcast a signal into another universe---one that may have radically different physical properties than our own---and the signal gets reflected back to a receiver in our universe at a previous point on our world line. Since you just want to send information, not matter, the properties of parallel universe could make it a natural reflector or transceiver for whatever sort of signal you want to use.

I don't understand this. The only thing the observer sees is light that reaches the telescope. How does moving faster than light to a point he was observing influence anything? The light's already reached him.

Op wanted an answer about how it works for real, not some b.s. that you can't even explain yourself

You got trolled nigga. Notice how the messages are almost exactly 1 minute apart.

You should create a simulated copy of the universe, run it from the big bang up until the desired point where you would inject your message. Then let it run forever.

the physics of a brain interscope with your inergration with the bichem sphere

All the people saying it's impossible are retarded.
Obviously it's impossible, but that's not the point.
OP you should make the time travel method microscopic so it's believable.
Talk bullshit about entangled Electrons being able to transfer vibrations between eachother backwards in time or some shit.
Then you ca send information by cobtrolling electrons idk.
Aa long as the actual effect is so small and insignificant that it doesnt have any effect if it happens all the time your method is believavle imo.

there are all possible strings of X length in there so it makes sense.

the x length can string toward and backward in a consumer affair

Obvious sameposter is obvious

You can only possibly see the past, not do anything to the past.

No he doesn't. It's science fiction, not a thesis.

HOLY FUCK

Isn't the rule that we can't know the position and speed of a particle at the same time going to interfere with that idea?

So, since quantum mechanics and all that, everything is possible, every outcome is possible
so there is a "world" where I'm still with my ex and we live long and happy life where we avoided all diseases had healthy children and every step was the right one.

Feels good to know.

there is a method to send messages back in time, but the dictatorship that governs that world doesn't give it away. Your protagonist doesn't find it out because he's not interested and anyways he couldn't