Do you like thomas bernhard, guys? what are your favorite books written by thomas bernhard?

do you like thomas bernhard, guys? what are your favorite books written by thomas bernhard?

i've only read woodcutters which was pretty good but i hope to get something more out of the next bernhard i read.

G a r g o y l e s

We should meme him, IMO.

no please, let's just talk about his books like normal people

BLAH BLAH BLAHB BLAH BLAHB LBLBL
DLBJLSKJBB
BLKJDBSLKDSJ
NAZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLAJDIB
BLIDJSLBI DIBSIB DSBISBLIJ SDOBIJDSBL
LSDBIJSDLBU NAZIS!!!!!!! DK BLAH BLAH BLAH BLA
BLAH BLAH BLAH NAZIIIIIIIIIII BLAH BLAH

He's pretty gud.
I recommend Gargoyles, Yes, and Concrete.

Does Bernhard have a chart on the best order to read his works in?

>Gargoyles
Die Verstörung is translated as Gargoyles? What the actual fuck?

Fucking hell, no.

Der Untergeher (The Loser) is my favourite. You will love it, OP, it's pretty good.

Frost is a masterpiece.

Frost if you want to start chronologically and Wittgensteins Neffe or Der Untergeher if you want to start with one a bit more mainstream/more well-known of his novels.

whats with this obsession with reading things in order on Veeky Forums
it's so weird, if you want to read auslöschung as your first bernhard then just do it

He has been fringe meme for years. Christ I hate you snowflake faggots

>whats with this obsession with reading things in order on Veeky Forums
Sign of autism.

I've read the loser and wood cutters. Both were mediocre to bad. He's a pretty shit stylist anyways but I can see his juvenile misanthropy appealing to the try hards of lit

>John Green posts on Veeky Forums

Thanks lad. Bernhard seems like the type of author who would be extremely underrated.

You are welcome. And disregard pseuds like .

Read Walking, loved it. In the midst of The Lime Works, it's great an unnerving. Going to be reading Wittgenstein's Nephew for a class in a few weeks.

Let us actually discuss Gargoyles.

What is there to make of the writer who lives in isolation, destroying his work and starting again each day? Is it an analogy? Does it attempt to speak a truth about men and women, or the brain?

What relation does the Prince's monologue have to the rest of the book?

How does the notion of insanity factor into the story? Are any of the people mentioned insane, including the doctor and his son who act as the continuity of the book?

>Let us actually discuss

heh

That's a small cone of icecream.

Eh he's ok. Churns out the same stuff with admitted competence. Gets meme'd on the central europe bandwagon.

I read The Loser about nine months ago and hate him a bit for it, both for his ridiculous portrayal of Gould and for contributing to a minor existential crisis. But then again it has sort of stayed with me and I think about sometimes, there are actually some profound thoughts in it and I appreciate that.

Is his writing style consistend through all his works?
I'm interested in Extinction and Frost but I've had bad experience with Correction (in German) and had to stop halfway through. There were some genuinely heart braking moments but I had difficulties navigating through his long ass senteces. I usualy lost track of what he was saying by the time I finished one sentence and him repeating characters and locations by name so frequently just made everything melt together into an impassable clause salad.

I enjoyed Concrete.

He's the fucking Austrian Murakami. You guys are morons

Gathering Evidence and the first part of Gargoyles are the only books of his that do not have the Bernhard Style of endless repetitive monologic sentences and paragraphs. I would say to try reading those two, or maybe Wittgenstein's Nephew, if you found Correction really difficult.

I think Gargoyles, The Lime Works, Correction, The Loser, and Old Masters are his best books, but I quite like all of them, and would say all his works are extremely worthwhile.

Isn't he more concerned with language and narrative form than Murakami?

>I hate him for his portrayal of Gould

That's what postmodernism is all about, senpai. Blurring historical 'reality' and fiction.

Yes, he is. I think he said German was an ugly language and the he had to write with a decent rhythm and word choice to make it sound better.

why was he such a sourpuss anyway

I remember reading an excerpt of one of his books and the writing was very experimental.

for you