Anons

Anons
Where do you come from?
Who is THE James Joyce of your country?

Poland here, Bolesław Leśmian is the guy I guess, correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's just guess who the James Joyces of various countries are.

Germany: Arno Schmidt
Brazil: João Guimarães Rosa
Russia: Andrei Bely

Who else is there?

Sweden

Modernism was never a thing here thanks to social democracy. Instead we had proletarian literature.

a someone of something isn't really anyone of anything

I am particularly interested in France. But please, not Proust. His language is pretty easy...

never heard of analogies or equivalents or homologues?

Was about to say Robbe-Grillet but he might be more like Beckett.

lol
had you bothered reading it you would know that arbetarlitteraturen is quintessentially modernist. besides, what about poetry? ekelöf, lindegren, björling, södergran... high modernism all of it.

>brazil: joão guimarães rosa

Surprisingly, you got it right.

I only can compare Jean Echenoz to Thomas Pynchon. Never found the possible homologue of Joyce.

Faulkner, nigga

>people; human beings
>most psychologically complex entities currently known

>analogies, homologies, and the rest of the autism spectrum

yeah, nice try Veeky Forums

Well, I'm Scottish, so James Joyce is the James Joyce of my country

[spoilers] on a serious note though, it is a little depressing to come from a country that hasn't produce a GREAT writer in the way of a Joyce or a Kafka. you kinda have to hope that it'll happen some day though. It's all got to do with historical conditions. Theres a lot of rising nationalism on my country atm which can be a really good thing for literature (its exactly what produced Joyceand Yeats etc.) [/spoilers]

James Joyce is the James Joyce of my country.

Get on my level plebs.

Rip why didn't my spoiler tags work?

You have David Hume though

Don't want to seem dismissive of your country or it's people, but i highly doubt that the sort of nationalism present in Scotland is likely to produce any good literature; either fiction or non-fiction.

They don't seem to be working on any of the boards that i've been on in the past few days.

Ireland

Yeats, Beckett, and James Joyce are the James Joyces of my country

The spaces?

Canada: no Joyce yet, but some damn fine writers (Heather O'Neill, Robertson Davies)

because you're an idiot

Its not dismissive at all man, i agree that the scottish nationalism at it exists just now is definitely not going to produce anything culturally valuable at all, nevermind great literature. But that has a lot to do with how the current culture worldwide makes it impossible for movements to exist in any meaningful or powerful way.

But you can hope things will change. I mean, If a country like ireland (small, culturally dominated by a colonial power) can produce a James Joyce, so can we, given the right circumstances.

Yeah, but hume is a thinker most famous for his impact on another philosopher (Kant), and our other literary figure, Burns, is a provincial poet and a footnote to romanticism, hardly a great literary force.

>Canada: some damn fine writers
okay Prof. Resenta Whitman

Ja bym powiedział że Gombrowicz, albo Schulz

Pirandello I think

To add to this, Ireland's breakup from the UK, the seeding of which resulted also in their greatest literary figures, was a fight against a dominant power, a real conflict. Whats happening between scotland and england now is more like bitter but ultimately tame divorce proceeding. Obviously its hardly the same ball game.

Lesmian had better formative capacity to create neologisms than Schulz or Gombrowicz in my humble opinion

I don't know Lesmian besides some poetry from high school assignment so I can't discuss him

>Resenta Whitman
uhhhh are you trying to insinuate that whitman is our poet bruh?

I'm trying to insinuate that canadians are inferior shitskin-scum-tier writers

>hume is a thinker most famous for his impact on another philosopher (Kant)
Maybe if you're French or German

Dude, it's pretty unarguable that Kant is THE modern philosopher of the enlightenment. The philosopher that "woke him from dogmatic slumber", is going to be known best for doing that, regardless of where you live.

I guess that's fair enough.

But, Hume has had insane amount of influence on the Anglo-American tradition, independently of the Kantian one. Plus, he's a true joy to read. At least, post-Treatise.

That's a good point actually; I hadn't thought much about analytic philosophy.

You might just be right

thanks for this. screenshotted your post. will be printing this out and posting it up on my wall. thanks for the motivation pepe

soarry, buddy

he's not your buddy, guy

This guy.

he looks big as a whale

Arno Schmidt, he was gay for James too

Why is that surprising? He's mentioned here all the time.