All the good math related jobs are in statistics right?

All the good math related jobs are in statistics right?

Actuary
Data science
Statistician
Machine learning
Economist
Etc...

Why are there so few stats ppl on sci?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UOmRbEPn4Do
twitter.com/AnonBabble

statistics is too hard and i don't like it

>Why are there so few stats ppl on sci?
because there aren't many stats ppl in general

I'm a stats person and I'm on Veeky Forums.

Name one use for statistics. Oh, that's right...

Statistics is actually relatively hard, it's non-intuitive, that's why there's an entire industry around figuring out how to properly communicate the significance of statistical analysis. It's also why statistics wasn't very solidly defined until like the 1700s.

Basically any scientific or engineering field relies heavily on statistics do deal with sampled data or noisy processes (any man-made physical process)

They have jobs.

Measuring inconsistencies in data samples. Thats what I use it for as a chemist, anyway.

we don't post on Veeky Forums because we can recognize that a statistically significant number of threads on here are shit

You don't see a lot of AppMathfags as well.

I think Veeky Forums is just Engy, Pure Math and Physics majors by now and a few Biology and Psychology majors as well.

But the most rare are Stats, AppMath, Medicine and Financial Engineering, the latter might be on Veeky Forums though.

applied math/stats fag here

working a data science meme job, so fucking boring

At least you have a job, unlike certain types of science desu

Why's it boring? I thought it'd be an interesting type of job.

Data science is actually 80% data cleaning, 15% descriptive stats and graphs so your boss/client can understand, and 5% of actual machine learning.

But it pays good and you sometime work on interesting subjects.

stats + programming = 5 star restaurants

stats undergrad here

afaik there aren't many large stats internet communities at all. iirc reddit's actuary and statistics subreddits are very quiet, same for actuarialoutpost to a lesser degree. The small population of statisticians might have something to do with why those jobs pay well

Most, if not all, of the professors and grad students in my school's stats department were math or physics in their undergrad, so it seems like people usually begin pursuing it in their postgraduate studies. I imagine that an undergrad's posting frequency is much higher than someone who's finished undergrad

Double whammy

Currently getting an MA in stats, and I lurk a lot, don't usually post much though. Part of it is because a lot of posts on here seem super ignorant of statistics generally, so when I do post it's just to mock them. The other part is that I don't think there are too many people who actually do statistics. Even I am just getting a joint MA in statistics alongside a PhD in another field.

Math is easy because it's the study of certainty in numbers (so pure math has very few uses), whereas statistics is the study of uncertainty, so it's much more useful because our world is uncertain.

you're a data analyst

Good answer, this is true across all the natural sciences and some have even more applications.

>a lot of posts on here seem super ignorant of statistics generally, so when I do post it's just to mock them
Then why not try to help them understand what stats can be used for?

why won't this meme die
kys

I studied sociology, realized that I love statistics, got a masters degree in stats and am currently working on my PhD

AMA I guess

>Why are there so few stats ppl on sci?

I interned as an applied statistician during my undergrad. You'd have to be a special kind of masochist to want to devote your life to that.

No idea why people hate stats so much. It's literally the most comfy job there is. Just write some code, do some analysis, through some graphs on a presentation file and explain it to your boss like hes a 5 year old. He'll praise you for your work even though you only actually worked one third of all the time you got and used the other two thirds to shitpost on Veeky Forums etc.

You can work pretty much everywhere, in any industry, any city. Wages are good, not 300k starting but nice.

all the good math related jobs are in finance, but you have to be willing to accept that all the predictions you make are pure bullshit

does signal processing count?

Aye. The guy who studied obscure ass spaces is less likely to get a job outside of academia than the guy who studied stats. That's because statistics is more applicable in the private sector (durr).

I'm not discounting the other shit tho, butthurt purefags.

There is literally nothing interesting about these subjects though apart from their names.
I'm a stats undergrad and I enjoy it but most others aren't really that interested in what we do and other math majors dont like us because we interpret rather than prove etc

It is professionally useful though as it translates to so many industries very well

Pretty much, yes. Every physicist or mathematician who does not do anything related to statistics at some point is a fucking idiot. Every company and every experiment are collecting massive amounts of data in 2017. There's no way around it, you just need to deal with the statistics of those at some point.

is there hope for finding a stats related job with a BS? i wanna work for a few years and then go get a masters

Depends on a lot of things.

You need to know a lot of stuff to be able to do the general stuff (or better, they exspect you to know a lot of stuff). Usually a masters degree is expected. However, as long as you can prove that you know your shit + the usual self marketing, you should be able to get a job.

Nothing high paying and definitly not in a management position, but I guess that's not your goal atm anyways. I don't know what kind of degree you have, but if you don't know any stats-programming languages (like R, SAS, Stata, or Python) you're not gonna get a job.

I know a bit of Python. Will play with it more before I graduate, and I'll be taking some Comp Sci classes that use Java as well.

And I'm going for a math degree, but will take probability/stats courses in the applied math department as well. Two of the courses make use of R and SAS, and I may pick up some more R with research I'll start doing.

Thanks, I feel a bit relieved.

>Name one use for statistics
Medicine is the first thing that comes off the top of my head. You math majors are funny because you're only knowledgable in axioms yet claim to know everything.

All current civil engineering design codes are entirely statistics based.

youtube.com/watch?v=UOmRbEPn4Do

What do you want to do for work?

I don't really know yet to be honest. I'd like to stay in research, but the pay and job security is shit. I got a friend who works at a epidemiology institute who could get me a job but I am not sure yet. Maybe I am just gonna be some data analyst fag for some company to make some money.

are you saying you will be rich with a double major and will be eating at a five star restaurant?