Mutter, ich bin dumm

>Mutter, ich bin dumm

What did he mean by this? Also, what is the significance of the incident with the horse in the context of his philosophy? Did he finally realize that pity and compassion are not negative traits but rather are the very thing that makes humanity beautiful?

I don't think Nietzsche ever said compassion is negative. Just slavish.

Kant basically said the same thing, just more positively.

Are you refering to anything specific there or just compassion as a feeling being inherently not free?

>Did he finally realize that pity and compassion are not negative traits but rather are the very thing that makes humanity beautiful?
wow, you are a true woman. now kys

No, u

Why did he rush to protect the horse then?

Stop reading this outdated fuck and graduate high school.

because they are cute

To me, Nietzsche's embrace of the horse represents amor fati. To understand why you have to know what inspired Nietzsche to philosophy. Nietzsche first really engages with philosophy in the mid 1860s' after happening upon Schopenhauer's works in a bookshop. At the time Nietzsche was a disaffected young twentysomething who had just left Christianity behind a few years prior and was desperate for something to fill the void it left in him. He read Lange and was enchanted by the metaphysical speculation. Schopenhauer's light nationalism, which also inspired Wagner, influenced Nietzsche. He was enamored with the military and the manly strengths it espoused. He was happy to serve in the Prussian army when his time for service came.

While serving in the Prussian army, he badly injured his pectoral while leap mounting a horse. The wound refused to heal and he was sent home with it. This was the first of a long chain of illnesses and injuries that plagued him for the rest of his life. He visited quack doctors for remedies which usually ended up making it all worse. I think in the early days of his inquiry he was looking for remedies. He read Epicurus and envied him for his resistance to pain but couldn't quite swallow that pill. It was too weak a way to live for him.

The pain made him stronger, it forced him to engage with the reality that he tried to escape through Schopenhauer, through music. He developed a relationship with Wagner but it was doomed from the start as Nietzsche had this pain which cleared his mind. The sentimentality of Parsifal was merely the last straw.

Nietzsche's first book of philosophy cemented the split. His suffering was his daimon. Much of Human, all too Human was dictated to Gast as migraines rendered Nietzsche functionally blind for days at a time, but even this blindness granted him sight. He would write aphorisms between bouts of headaches and vomiting blood. Though his physical health finally began to improve in his late life, the experience stayed with him forever.

The Eternal Recurrence, that was what terrified Nietzsche, a man who had suffered so much. His recipe for solving this problem was Amor Fati, to love fate. His embrace of the horse at the end of his productive life was a bold statement of life affirmation, as the horse had ultimately been the cause of it all. Without the horse he might have never left the court of Wagner and Schopenhauer. Every ounce of pain was necessary fuel for the story of Nietzsche's becoming and he accepted it as such in that moment before his sanity was robbed of him by what was probably a tumor on his ocular nerve slowly lobotomizing him.

He had a nervous breakdown you dolt

>outdated
>Because I say so

I hate to break it to you, but pretty much every ideology worth a shit in the modern day is from the 19th century at latest.

>I hate to break it to you, but pretty much every ideology worth a shit in the modern day is from the 19th century at latest.

It's not out dated because I said so. Go to community college, graduate high school, get out of your Nihilist phase etc.

>implying Nietzsche is a nihilist

Are you sure you're not the one who in high school?

You're in a nihilist phase.

>Nietzsche
>Nihilist

Would it make you feel more comfortable if I called it a "I just got into philosophy I haven't taken a single course anywhere on the subject and Nietzsche is a fucking genius I gotta tell Veeky Forums" phase?

you're making yourself look extremely stupid, friend.

>Taking courses
>For philosophy

>you're making yourself look extremely stupid, friend.
That's expected of Veeky Forums. I don't think I'm too uncomfortable.

If you aren't fully educated on something, you shouldn't be able to speak on it.

>fully educated

IE

Not
You

Praytell, friend, how does one become 'fully educated' in philosophy?

What philosophy does someone 'fully educated' in philosophy adopt?

>Praytell, friend, how does one become 'fully educated' in philosophy?

Not being totally balls deep in Nietzsche, using awful OC, just worshiping a philosopher instead of being critical for insight while criticizing short comings.

But above all else, reading more.

Sounds like you just don't like Nietzsche, buddy.

"Liking" or "disliking" any philosopher is stupid. Unless they're fuck awful and believe in lost continents past a certain point in history not naming names, you should just be neutral towards all of them.

people really do anything to avoid discussing the topic at hand in the nietzsche threads.

i also find this really intriguing. there's something of a parallell in the death of the truly life-affirming gilles deleuze by suicide. both actions seem at first to be totally opposed to their respective philosophies. i think there's something really interesting buried here, but i can't really grasp it myself, just wanted to point it out.