Reminder that today has no astronomical significance

Reminder that today has no astronomical significance.

>today has no astronomical significance
has anything?

>look at me I'm such a smartass

What a useless goddamn pretentious nigger. Everything he's ever said and done is pure trash. It's pretty sad when you consider that he's niggers' Tesla. We should send 'em all back to Africa.

Yesterday, close to midnight I was watching Venus, which btw was gigantic and bright.
And I thought that in that place I was glazing at it is was new year's eve.
That was the highlight of my night truth be told.

But Tesla was pure garbage all the same

*it wasn't

His post is literally:
>Culture doesn't matter.
Not surprising, he's misappropriating Caucasoid culture all the time. Hasn't you learnt, as an African you've got to decolonise? God, he's so regressive.

>earth is already 2017 years old

makes you think

Nah he's not that bad. He's knowledgeable in astronomy as any other mainstream scientist.
It's just that his obnoxious way of talking and pop-culture appereance that caters to low IQ brainlets, simply overpowers his scientist persona.

>Earth is already 2017 years old
>Moon goes through 12 cycles in a year because lunar calendar
>if we followed solar calendar then sun would go through cycles
>we would see eclipses more often

Makes you think.

>tfw too smart to celebrate new year

You have to go back

Even /pol/ is more nuanced than this

wew what a fag

>tfw to smart too get meme right

>2017 years since the creator of the universe was born as a human
>calendar based around this is insignificant

Why does the year start in this day?

i mean he's not wrong

is he?

the universe ended in 2000 when a computer glitch caused the matrix to malfunction.

They had a backup but isn't not perfect one. They used this imperfect backup to reboot the system, which is what's causing the mandala effect right now. The universe is only 17 years old.

Neil The Grass is a pretentious highschool chad who wanted to try a new gig and ended up finding himself in the area of astronomy.
Truth is, he is an elitist who thinks the scientific community is above all else, and that our moral standards as a society hold no value. He doesn't realize that these moral standards are the very things that hold our society together and intact.

Oblivious to this fact, he keeps on ranting about how people should get smarter. He doesn't realize that emotional and political intelligence is as important as Veeky Forumsentific intelligence.

Wtf, its true, I just had a look at one of those articles about differences in popculture. It's fucking true, wtf?

He's a middle man. Like all middle men he's utterly redundant, useless, and incapable himself. Only he's made himself the middle man of science so good on him for figuring that out. He's still a dirty scumbag middle man.

WOW WHAT AN AUTIST

That's beside the point. He's basically trying to sound smart making a completely irrelevant statement 'hey guys today is not special!' when in reality the reason why it has significance is cultural and historical moreso than anything to do with a scientific phenomena even if the calender is a highly scientific thing.

Agreed. This is the case with a lot of public science people it seems like.
Bill Nye is more subtle with it, but if you check some of the collaborations he did with big Youtube channels, you can see that he also looks down upon some of the morals we have. At least he doesn't publicly show this much, unlike The Grass Tyson.

At first I thought Professor Tyson was saying the Gregorian calendar isn't seasonally accurate or something. But now I see he's talking about how January 1st has no natural marker.

I have literally never heard anyone claim that it does.

Why is Ty(r)on(e) such a fedora-tipping cunt?

I'm pretty sure Jesus was born December 25th.

Nope, read your bible, Jesus was born in the spring.

WE

Actually 2022 years

I wish this guy would say something smart for just ONCE. But he never does. He's devolved into semantics.

What the fuck is his problem?

true. but we need a reason to throw a party once in a while bro

(FYI: No date is astronomically significant)

He's a nigger.

New years day represents 1 successful revolution around the sun. The date picked is arbitrary though

Winter solstice should be the beginning of the new year. Everything else is just immensely retarded

I think you're being too critical. He is only providing simple access to a scientific point of view.

It is in essence a new victory for the nerds in the field of entertainment culture. But this yet remains to be accepted by some elitists.

The nerds in the entertainment culture are the ones who create arrogant psuedo-intellectuals. Neil is no exception. Just look at his tweets (pic related).

accidentally used a tweet twice (top and bottom).
Still, point stands

I sometimes wonder if he just assumes no one will read these, they're pretty cringy

You're immensely retarded for believing that your country is the gold standard. Fuck you

How can a smart man find it entertaining to do such tweets? Doesn't he have a astrophysics PhD?

He's a pretentious cunt who likes to shit on other people for being worthless compared to scientists, yet he makes no scientific contributions himself.

how is the black science man so fucking stupid holy shit

Without a story of significance with your criteria, this day is completely different from any other day. The earth is in a completely unique position in relation to all other astrological bodies at every moment in time.

Who died and left you in charge of what is significant and what is not?

...bitch!

>emotional intelligence
Back to Tumblr with you

>Doesn't know what EQ is and assumes it's some new generation bullshit
Some specimens show both low EQ and IQ, did you know that? You probably didn't, but your friends and family did.

>before every tweet, I take deep hits...
>literally *breath in* BOI
why is he such a shitposter?

He's so fucking annoying and I can't tell if it's on purpose or not

He isn't a professor and never was. He's a doctor, sure, but not a professor. Most doctors aren't professors.

Now that was concise

>Please give me attention I haven't been of importance to the scientific community in 20 years
At least I have the self-awareness not to be a pretentious cock about it

Who fucking cares, what a worthless asshole

>Before every tweet, I take deep hits of gaseous cocktails comprised of 78% N2 and 21% O2. a long-revered elixir of life.
God, he's so pretentious. He takes deep breaths before each tweet he posts, how enlightened.

I actually had this conversation with my Dad.

He was arguing that the spring equinox should be the mark of the new year, rather than an arbitrary day after winter solstice. I don't know the history of why Jan 1 is when it is, but it seems kind of silly when we're obsessed with making things mean something.

My dad also told me about this theory that Jesus was born on September 11, 3 BC based on astronomical charts. Pretty wild stuff.

Speaking for yourself? But you've never been of importance to the scientific community user...

Pretty sure this guy is a legitimate autist. No normal person thinks this is an acceptable way of talking.

This may be rudimentary or even silly, but I've been thinking. September, October and December have obvious etymological links to 7, 8 and 10 respectively. Whether November has a similar link to 9 is not obvious to me but it's not out of the question. Shouldn't then the first month be March? Which is also the month of with the spring equinox if I'm not mistaken

So like what do astronomers use for time and what not when making observations

Nothing is astronomically significant.

Jesus wasnt born in the spring that's some theory thats thrown around by interpreting John's vision in revelations astronomically.
Christmas is an ancient holiday and it's been celebrated December 25th since the begining and the idea that constantine picked the day to replace Sol Invictus is a myth.

It's all about the winter solstice.

>these guys have interpreted something that's considered fact by those who believe in Jesus
>but I know better, it's just a theory
>I was there in the beginning, the fact that 25 Dec matches a pagan fest is completely coincidental

Go ask your priest about it - even the Church acknowledges Jesus wasn't born in winter. The Roman census does not take place in winter, you don't plant crops in winter, you don't have sheep herders roaming with their flocks in the fields in winter, all these things come up during the tale.

>3 BC

Can't be, King Herod died in 4BC.

Source?

>has no astronomical significance
>implying that astronomical significance is the only significance
>no alternative to new years day offered
>wanting to change an accepted standard simply because it was influenced by christianity

i'm starting to think i could be an astrophysicist

It's when the sun visibly begins climbing northward on its seasonal arc. (At least, from the northern hemisphere)

IT is the day to celebrate when the days start getting longer again.

That's fairly astronomically significant.

You can use this information to plan out the next years crop planting and harvest times.

That's scientific information with a practical application.

FYI: Islamic New Year is astronomically insignificant

sorry, forgot pic.

>wanting to change an accepted standard simply because it was influenced by christianity
u wot m8? January 1 has been New Year's since 45 BC.

scumbags like you should just gooooo back

how long was the exposure on this picture

Charlie Grimm is as much of a smartass as Tyson.

>how long was the exposure on this picture

No idea... picture looks washed out, so I'd say "A while"

This is some 12yo level shit.

Like a bottom shelf single malt

March was originally the first month.

Reminder that today has no astrological significance.

Why was it changed? It is the first month of spring, which is nature's "rebirth", which by all rights should be the first season. It also explains why February, being the last month, got the short end of the stick and why it gets the extra day when the exceeding 6 hours become 24 hours. It could also be said that March is messy and gruesome (weatherwise) like birth is messy and gruesome. We even have a saying in my country about how rough March is.

*tips fedora*

That pic is very exaggerated. Also, wouldn't "the day when the days become longer" be the winter solstice, not January 1st a week after?

A lot of people don't realize that it doesn't.

Name three people who think this.

Your mom, your dad, and your mum's husband

It's as significant as any other date.
Christ I hate this guy.

Emotional intelligence is very important, but EQ is a shitty test and not accepted because it imposes certain moral and political bias.

rekt