What's all that bullshit about the poles melting and raising the oceans?

What's all that bullshit about the poles melting and raising the oceans?

If you put an ice cube on a water glass and it melts, the water's height stays the same.

Other urls found in this thread:

ocean.nationalgeographic.com/ocean/critical-issues-sea-level-rise/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Implying all the ice in the world in currently IN the ocean.
/thread

>If you put an ice cube on a water glass and it melts, the water's height stays the same.
Please tell me youre joking or this is some new type of meme im not aware of

Not OP but it does. Best part is that you can easily test it.

The volume of air pockets in the ice molecules are negligible but account for an increased volume in water, you just dont notice it

So what you're trying to say is that if the poles melt it would actually decrease the oceans?
Al Gore is full of shit then.

Its when the ice melts off a big landmass, like Greenland and Antarctica, that the sea levels rise.

It will increase the oceans BUT only because were not being explicit about whats happening.

Were assuming the ice caps are not submerged to begin with.

1) Imagine a scenario where the icebergs are fully submerged, call this volume X. If the icebergs melts then the air released from the ice-structure will decrease X. End result a decrease in volume

2) Imagine a realistic scenario where the Iceberg experiences boyuancy (I cannot be fucked googling the spelling), then clearly the iceberg's top will be protruding the waters surface, call this volume Y, if iceberg melts then all the water molecules that protrude the waters surface is GREATER than the air pockets in the whole iceberg, so we will see an increase in water volume Y. End result an increase in volume Y

It really depends what were talking about here

Please do shut up you fucking idiot.

Do you understand how water displacement works? At all?

Do you? If there's shit sticking out then the water won't displace by that much, total submersion is required you mong.

retards

Ice cubes and tap water have the same density.
Polar ice and sea water does not.
Also polar ice is set on land and is not free-floating unlike the ice cubes.

>Pic related for those who didn't know water levels stay the same as ice metls

>pic
There should be less water on the right since there are air bubbles in ice, the amount of water the icecube displaces should be more than how much "ice" there actually is

meant to quote

Does the level stay the same? I remember a problem in my phys 2 course were the water level actually droped, and I don't recall it depended on the volume of the ice, just its density.

Air has no weight you absolute retard

Congratulations! You have won dumbfuck prize of the year!

Consider it a great honor to have won it so early in the year, you dumbfuck you.

jesus christ kys plz

You should not post about things you don't know nothing about user. It's jjst bumps a possibly good thread.

Meant to quote

So why don't I just float into outer space?
Oh wait... cause theres 1atm of pressure cause by air LuL

That was a pretty stupid response even if he is completely wrong.

How am I the one talking about something I don't know? Did you missquote or something?

You are saying the water should decrease because the ice cube has air on it, which means that the air somehow makes the cube weight more than a cube made 100% of water, that's the most idiotic shit I have read in this shithole of a board.

Is becasue the poles are made of salt water ice. Salt water ice is heavier than fresh water ice so when it melts it causes the sea level to rise.

You can verify this at home by making salt water ice cubes in your freezer and then putting them in a glass of water.

lol been up for 18 hours and I just re-read what I wrote but it should be trivial what im trying to say though

Do the world a favor and never get a job where you are placed in a position of responsibility for other people's lives.

>ice cube with lots of holes in it
>displaces the same amount of water with a same icecube except with ice filling the holes
haha kys

Most of the ice is above sea level
>implying you are more intelligent than the world's most intelligent scientists

At least I don't double post tho

Please, please let this be a bait thread with bait responses.
>what is land ice

even the smartest among us could be wrong

i'm not saying they are, or i would have to provide evidence myself (goodness me)

i'm just saying they _COULD_ be

LAND ICE
you stupid fuckface

submerged ice cubes is diffrent

im pretty sure literally something like only 5% of the ice in the world is on land

the rest is floating in the poles, so literally nothing will change.

Oh ya your pretty sure huh? Why don't you shut the fuck up you stupid monkey you just made that shit right the fuck up from your basement. Put a bullet in your head my man. Retard.

Christ wept! You ignorant pig fuck!

WHAT IS ANTARCTICA?
WHAT IS GREENLAND?

HERE IS A BIG FUCKING HINT...GreenLAND. See the big "LAND" in it's name???? DO YOU SEE IT MOTHERFUCKER?

Now go and google Antarctica and then come back, and I FUCKING DARE YOU, tell me that its ice is "floating".

I tried this and it didnt work. I think you are lying.

ok so your saying the biggest fucking iceburg on the planet, ISNT floating in water,,

literally?

Is everyone on this board really this dumb? OP had a good question, the problem with his logic is that the Oceans are not analogous because they are saltwater systems. If you have a glass full of saltwater and you add some ice cubes, the water level will rise as the ice cubes melt. Try it! It's a fun experiment that takes less than 5 minutes to set up.

>saltwater ice

kek

The glaciers are freshwater

>make ice cubes in less than 5 minutes

The air that fits under a normal sized dining table weighs ~2kg.

>iceburg
amerifat just can't stop thinking of food

Well that guy was wrong in that you can't actually do this at home. It's a very interesting result actually, it turns out when a salt water body freeze two different things tend to happen. As the crystallization occurs as you know there is expansion, and with Navier type flows the salt will naturally flow into the crystallizing structure because of the lower salt concentration due to expansion. This means when glacial structures melt the ocean becomes more acidic. The other thing is that due to diffrent parts of a glacial structure freezing non-uniformly the density gradient of the ice becomes dynamic and is very bottom heavy as that typically freezes slower and thus has a higher salt concentration. This is why most of a glacial structure rests underwater and when they melt the ocean rises.

It's not analogous and I'll tell you why.
Melting sea-ice alone isn't enough to cause dramatic sea level rise, but it buttresses the edges of continental glaciers and mitigates the rate at which they slide toward the sea. The ice sheets on Greenland and Antarctica would entail substantial sea-level rise if depleted.

You don't have ice cubes in your freezer?
I could go into my kitchen, throw some salt and cold water in a glass and add some ice to it in less than 5 minutes. Glaciers are freshwater, bud.

hey,

i just googled this question and a (german) site said that only a small amount of the sea level rise is due to ice melting. the biggest amount stems from the thermal expansion of the water due to higher temperatures.

that small amount coming from melting ice must be due to ice that is located on land (though i do not know if the land mass is then pushed downwards and thus increasing the waterlevel therefore canceling that effect out

here a small paragraph from national geographics:

"Thermal expansion: When water heats up, it expands. About half of the past century's rise in sea level is attributable to warmer oceans simply occupying more space.

Melting of glaciers and polar ice caps: Large ice formations, like glaciers and the polar ice caps, naturally melt back a bit each summer. But in the winter, snows, made primarily from evaporated seawater, are generally sufficient to balance out the melting. Recently, though, persistently higher temperatures caused by global warming have led to greater-than-average summer melting as well as diminished snowfall due to later winters and earlier springs. This imbalance results in a significant net gain in runoff versus evaporation for the ocean, causing sea levels to rise.

Ice loss from Greenland and West Antarctica: As with glaciers and the ice caps, increased heat is causing the massive ice sheets that cover Greenland and Antarctica to melt at an accelerated pace. Scientists also believe meltwater from above and seawater from below is seeping beneath Greenland's and West Antarctica's ice sheets, effectively lubricating ice streams and causing them to move more quickly into the sea. Moreover, higher sea temperatures are causing the massive ice shelves that extend out from Antarctica to melt from below, weaken, and break off. "
ocean.nationalgeographic.com/ocean/critical-issues-sea-level-rise/

fuck you all i gave the correct answer and nobody reacts FUCK YOU Veeky Forums

Go shit on the missus you sperging sausage maker.

It is about density.
Water cubes left on salty water, for example, would raise (or drop?) in level due to the difference in density.

Yup, you got it just right

screw the brainlets who never paid attention in middle school science

>I cannot be fucked googling the spelling
You can right click to use spellcheck on Veeky Forums.

This is Veeky Forums retard, only obvious b8 can get (You)s.

You have to be kidding, right?

but most of the ice is submerged

small part over water raises the water height

LARGE part under water lowers waterheight because

ice is less dense as water => has a bigger volume

that means the overall volume decreases ergo the waterheight decreases

>Ice cubes and tap water have the same density
They dont have the same density or that ice cube on your wont float. but you are mostly right otherwise.

Fucking retards

water expands when its heated.

/thread

>that means the overall volume decreases ergo the waterheight decreases

False. Buoyancy 101. The volume of the displaced water by a floating object has the same mass as the object floating. That is why an objectless dense than water floats.

When the ice melts its' volume decreases to equal the volume of the submerged portion of the ice (i.e. the height of the water remains unchanged.

>5875812
>>What's all that bullshit about the poles melting and raising the oceans?

The ice on the Antarctic pole is land locked and is overall above the ocean levels. If it melts, it would add to the water "floating" in the ocean thus increasing water height in Miami.

>I cannot be fucked
Yes, you can.

It's not like all that ice is super dense, even with the amount of ice the increase in ocean height will be negligible

Antarctica isn't an iceburg you retarded pig fuck! .IT'S A FUCKING ICESHEET COVERING A LAND MASS. JUST LIKE FUCKING GREENLAND! HOW MUCH MORE DO YOU NEED IT SPELLED OUT FOR YOU?

DID YOUR DADDY POKE YOUR BRAIN OUT WITH HIS DICK WHEN YOUR MOTHER WAS PREGNANT WITH YOU?

Yes, that is true for freshwater glaciers.

But not for salt water glaciers though.

Veeky Forums, explained in one post

holy shit, i'm dying

clam down, just provide proof of your claims rather than crying

dude, you are killing me

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica
continent, motherfucker. it's land. the ice on the southpole isn't floating in water, it's a sheet on land.

how the fuck do you NOT know this?

in any case Holland will be fucked

that doesnt even make since,,

if it is LAND ieg rocks, WHY would ice form on top of it HIGHER than the ocean?

you shouldnt be aloud to make claims like this without real proof

a wikipedia link doesnt suffice

This is quite complicated but I will try to explain it simply.

Okay, now as you know some of the ice in an ice-cube is poking out into the air as it floats. Right, so what happens is that as the ice-cube melts all the ice goes into the water, INCLUDING THE BIT THAT WAS POKING OUT INTO THE AIR.

Now of course this has the overall effect of decreasing the air pressure. Because now the same amount of air has to occupy the volume previously occupied by the Ice that was poking out into the air.

With the decrease in air pressure there is less air holding the water down on the earth. As a result the sea levels rise.

You can try this at home. Simply place some ice-cubes in a glass, cover the top of the glass with clingfilm, or something else air tight, and watch as the water level rises as the ice-cubes melt. But make sure you use ice-cubes made out of salt water.

Different user. But he's right.

You cunt :)

Samefag.

Kek. You devious bastard.

Even if you ignore the fact that salt water has a different density, the water level would still rise because antarctica is actually land and the ice there isn't floating (except for a small amount I guess).