>a book without orange juice stains is worse than worthless
>all main characters should be left handed

The Road is garbage.

i actually kind of agree with the last one

>unpopular opinions

Please expand on that

no

This board loves McCarthy.

We love his good stuff - BM, Suttree, CoG to some extent and maybe outer dark also, but we all agree the road is sentimental late era McCarthy after he lost his bite.

I hate nebulous books with a lot of descriptions of scenery

maybe I'm just an idiot who doesn't understand "good" art

There are plenty of people that like The Road.

American psycho was actually really good

you can't be serious

Out in the big wide world there are, yeah, but this is Veeky Forums we're talking about, on here The Road has as much of an anti circlejerk as BM may be said to have a conventional one. Neither is as good or bad as their respective circlejerks may claim.

The Road especially suffers from backlash against what was essentially a retrospective Pulitzer for McCarthy's prior work that the Road probably didn't deserve, plus the fact that it became very popular among non literary types because of the average film adaptation and the pulitzer that made it a part of the cultural consciousness.

Yeah I don't think the Pulitzer Prize is that relevant desu.

T.S Eliot was decent, at most.
A philosophical work holds little to no substance if it is unpleasant to read, aesthetically.
A thought loses nobility when written down, in that sense, writers, poets and critics are cheap.

Charles Dickens is boring and painful to read.

>A philosophical work holds little to no substance if it is unpleasant to read, aesthetically.

Shut up you stupid FUCK ng faggot your opening is fucking wrong and tire spice of fuckbl shit kill tirsekf

>nebulous
>lot of descriptions
It's one or the other, you can't have both.

>A thought loses nobility when written down, in that sense, writers, poets and critics are cheap.
He said, in writing.

This opinion is actually very popular with high schoolers and pseuds though

he isn't that bad

>pointing that hard at the funny fat cow

How sad your Veeky Forums folder must be.

I'm sorry this thread is for unpopular opinions. You're looking for the incoherent opinions thread.

I'm a sad person, doesn't make him any less absurd.

They overlap somewhere, unpopularity and incoherence. That's where rivers are the prettiest, friend.

Too soon to play that pity string, we have only just met. One must talk of hobbies, or of favourite ice cream flavours if one wishes for attention.

Joyce is shit

Agreed

Fuck The dead

Here's a related one:

Deliberate, endemic grammatical errors made for stylistic reasons belittle the author who uses them.

Example?

McCarthy avoiding quotation marks like the plague and not distinguishing between train of thought and dialogue in some of his work.

A writer who ignores the grammar laws of the language he writes in is like a woman who takes a picture of an inanimate object while her face takes up half of the photograph as her intention all along was to self glorify and the item just provided justification.

I agree with you even though I do this

fuck you

His style of writing is supposed to evoke the train of thought, his dialogue is written to resemble actual speech and the improper grammar is part of that. I think it works very well, especially in blood meridian. In some books you see characters endlessly speaking as though they're in opera, too verbose, correct and descriptive when you just won't see that in real life counterparts of the characters.

I bet you're the type of person that thinks that Ebonics is ruining the English language.

>what is a false analogy for $500

McCarthy is incredibly guilty of that too.

Joyce is trash.

Ulysses is a hamfisted, stream of consciousness fart joke that mirrors the Odyssey and uses different senses / organs of the body as chapter themes. Saved you a thousand pages and a headache.

Kinky.

>not grammar
>awful analogy

>Saved you a thousand pages and a headache.
yes a glorified fart joke it mostly is
it's not supposed to invoke headaches though, and when your IQ passes a certain threshold, the execution of a fart joke inside of a multiple-hundred-paged Greek epic framework actually becomes as much fun as the idea itself first seemed

that's why it's called Modernism

not because it was written for the plot

Nigger detected
Ebonics is a primitive perversion of the English language, how could it be considered anything but bad

this

>book of the new sun is legitimately on the same level as borges and proust