Hegel reading program starts around Christmas, so get your copies...

Hegel reading program starts around Christmas, so get your copies. We'll go over Phenomenology of the Spirit from start to finish and explain it so even people without any background in philosophy can at least passably parse it

Get ready for Hegel to explain all the processes your consciousness goes through, from those transitions that happen in less than a second, to those that are built upon years. In so doing, Hegel will examine the fundamental fabric of human reality.

Other urls found in this thread:

pervegalit.wordpress.com/2012/06/09/how-to-fake-your-way-through-hegel/
youtube.com/watch?v=_a3YAEhWU6k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I can't wait.

I'd really like to do this.
What are the chances it doesn't fall apart two weeks in? No fucking way can I read the Phenomenology alone.

What prerequisites would I need before reading Hegel?

calculus

Holy shit I want to fuck this girl right deep in her pussy.

No one wants to read that hack

It should last, since I'm promoting it a lot way in advance, and also because we'll go very slow.

You won't need any for this thread.

If you want to read and understand Hegel on your own, though, I'd suggest you at least familiarize yourself with all the prior German idealists, as well as Aristotle, the Stoics, and the Presocratics.

Do you have any particular criticism other than "too hard"?

I very much would like to do this if you are trying to gauge interest.

Also, I want to second

Holy shit who cares about hegel you gay nerds i want to fuck that girl right deep in her pussy

Have you studied Maimon at all? According to Beiser, he's a crucial link between Kant and the later idealists.

can we get an idea of pacing or how the general would be run? links to supplementary reading or something?

The pacing will be very slow, like 30-50 pages a week slow.

I'm not going to link supplementary material, because if people are too lazy to look it up themselves, they will probably be too lazy to read it themselves. If you want me to just name some brief supplements, "'Hegel's Phenomenology of the Spirit': A Reader's Guide," "Hegel: A Very Short Introduction," and "The Accessible Hegel," are all decent works.

I've only read baby Kant (Prolegomena and Metaphysics of Morals), do I need to suck daddy Kant's Critiques before getting ravaged by Phenom?

I will do a somewhat hands off Schopenhauer reading group as a joke at the same time.

Is there a discussion group or someone I can contact?

Fuck this hot mess. Just watch Greg Sadler split hairs on the real doe. He's the alpha, baby.

Phenomenology of the Spirit of Christmas

The world as good will to all men and presents

Unfortunately I already read the PoS twice in the past 18 months and I realized I had to go back to Plato and the Greeks for a better philosophical background. Would love to participate otherwise.

nice blog

Huh? I'm perfectly on topic.

>Dear Veeky Forums, today I was perfectly on topic regarding something

OUT

>thread's purpose is to announce that someone will start a reading program about a specific book
>you, an anonymous poster, announce that have no intention of participating in said reading program because of whatever, literally adding nothing of value to the thread
>on topic

high level narciposting, friendo

Ok.

I tried to run a Homeric Greek program 5 years ago, guess how that turned out?

The pointless faggots here are too busy masturbating and playing computer games to understand Hegel.

>5 years ago
lol grandpa

i meant supplementary material for each week's given pages, like further elaboration, criticism, etc.

basically, how a lecture/course outline would work

Seems interesting. Think I'll try it

Will this be a right Hegelian reading group?

Oh shit here we go again

>Other people read because the group they are in or connected to has started a study group, which may be focused around one or several texts. This normally progresses by people reading or pretending to read what they are assigned each week and the lead person from the group, who has generally already read all of the materials and decided on his/her interpretation, leads the group. This is what is known as 'indoctrination', not because the reading and analysis of the lead person might be good or bad, but because the structure of the group is such that one person or a few persons with a vast accumulation of knowledge of the particular books really aim at convincing the other readers of their interpretation. This process also tends to move too quickly. In the worst of cases, it is a rush to read a book a week (my experience in a Trotskyist group as a new recruit and with several other groups) so that one can display 'seriousness' in the desire to accumulate the necessary basics in order to go recruit people. In the best of cases, it is not so rushed and the material is interesting, but it pales in practice in comparison to the actual work of the person who is touted as the originating guru. The Johnson-Forrest Tendency reminds me of this, as Raya Dunayevskaya and Grace Lee would spend hours on a few paragraphs, grappling with them. But this practice is not emulated by the organisations which developed afterwords. Rather, the originator is treated as a guru-genius whose learnings one should feel lucky to be able to grasp even partially. That a person might have to do the same level of arduous work is mouthed, but not practiced by the organisation because these too are merely recruitment and cadre training activities.

>This normally progresses by people reading or pretending to read what they are assigned each week and the lead person from the group, who has generally already read all of the materials and decided on his/her interpretation, leads the group.
I'm looking at my contribution more as a mailing list admin desu. And directing the """"""""""""syllabus"""""""""""", though I hope to keep that pretty free as well. Dunno about OP's deal obviously.

It will be completely on Veeky Forums

Sounds cool OP, I'll be there.

>8577135
Phenomenology of the Spirit is just a raw, technical argument, it's not literary flourish like Nietzsche, or ideological polemic like Trotsky. Giving your "own interpretation" of the Phenomenology of the Spirit would be like giving your "own interpretation" of the Principia Mathematica

Phenomenology of the Spirit is just a raw, technical argument, it's not literary flourish like Nietzsche, or ideological polemic like Trotsky. Giving your "own interpretation" of the Phenomenology of the Spirit would be like giving your "own interpretation" of the Principia Mathematica

I might join in, I have phenom and have never read it. How will discussion take place? I imagine 70% of every thread will be cross posting shit posters and trolls...

Important supplemantary reading.
pervegalit.wordpress.com/2012/06/09/how-to-fake-your-way-through-hegel/

WHO IS SHE?

Id love to join! Though I've only read Plato, Aurlies, a bit of Aristotle, and Neitzche. I've been told you need a lot under your belt before picking it up, thoughts?

This program is to help those who do not have a lot under their belt.

So people are seriously upset that Hegel develops numerous concepts from prior philosophy, and frame it as Hegel being arrogant? It's arrogant to use "being" in a philosophical work now?

What people? What?

I think he's misreading the quotation marks as snide sarcasm or something.

They're just quoting what Hegel calls shit, but it's mostly not in the sense we'd use the particular term today (esp scientific).

Ever since I understood Hegel, I have had foursomes with 10/10s every day, and can move small objects with my mind.

Definitely worth it guys.

Not in natural science, but Hegel is certainly more scientific than social sciences in terms of rigor.

>I will do a somewhat hands off Schopenhauer reading group as a joke at the same time.

The joke of course being that you're doing Schopenhauer "hands off" while dedicating a serious amount of time to Hegel.

You didn't understand him.

youtube.com/watch?v=_a3YAEhWU6k

And that no one would show up for the Schopenhauer series of threads

It comes down to what you want to mean by """"scientific"""" in the end I think. This might be something to think about for my own shitty copy, since Schoppy based a lot of his superiority to Hegel on generally speaking better and knowing the generally accepted meanings of words (like when he first started organizing his lectures against Hegel they got into some argument about "animal processes" iirc, and Schopenhauer beat Hegel by being more pedantic about semantics). There's also some stuff that can relate to Freud's attempt to have a scientific world view inclusive of psychoanalysis that can relate to Schop well, and marks a fundamental change in what we mean by "scientific" generally (since the argument didn't win out in the end).

I will probs spend more time in the Hegel thread discussing as user, and more time in the Schoppy thread as nemo posting funny poodle pictures. If people actually want to discuss something or other I'll facilitate that if possible, I'll try to keep it fairly peripheral tho. I'll plan something really basic on the theme of Schopenhauer hating Hegel to start it off.

Part of Hegel's argument has to do with a new understanding of certain terms like being and thing-in-itself.

How long is PotS? How much time do you think this will take?

Every reading of the PoS takes months, at the least.

Phenomenology

I'm actually excited, what translation are we using?

Miller.

I've read his hole body of work and my native language is german. It would be a pleasure to participate.

>translation

How will it work? Discord? Since my introductory philosophy courses have both decided to skip Hegel (despite having two weeks scheduled to Kant), I believe this would be very useful in my studies.

American? I suppose Americans are averse to Hegel.

Reminder that only communists really understand the Phenomenology.

Canadian, one of my professors even specializes in Hegel.

The course in question is an introduction to modern philosophy, there is even I believe 8 classes dedicated to Marx. I cannot understand studying Marx in a philosophical context without at least engaging in an introduction to an introduction to Hegel. The course on ancient and medieval philosophy does not skip the presocratics, or Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle (which are important to each other, and all three are progressively important to the study of Augustine and Aquinas). This is internally consistent, which is all I can ask of an introductory course.

Holy shit you're alive

That's the subject, not a criticism.

It's about 500 pages and I anticipate it will take 3-4 months.

I recommend Miller's, but you can use whichever one you prefer

Splendid!

Just weekly assignments, and then discussion threads on those assignments.

Then Hegel didn't have a good grasp.

Very much

Hey op, ill check hegel out too.

right deep

what

sounds interesting, I'll probably participate. what is your history with philosophy? Not that it really matters if you understand the material but I'm curious.

>ITT: academic failures and neckbeards, Who are pretentious hacks, circlejerk about ideas which will get them no where, Not even to a satisfying conclusion

Why do you fags even discuss these works?

Damn dude you got a lot of weird answers. People telling you to read presocratics, are they serious?

As a person who took a course oh Hegel's phenomenology in uni, you should at least have read Kant, because a lot of references are directly to Kant's work.

>Hegel

No thanks, Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung for true Veeky Forumserati patricians.

it's FUN

>Poorly constructed greentext, with random capitalization in the middle of his sentence. Uses commas where full stops, prepositions or determiners would have been much more appropriate.

Why do you illiterate fags even post here?

>My Politics lecturer claimed that Hegel's idea of history as progress is a justification for the EU and confirms Fukuyama's shitty argument that we have reached the 'end of history'

This might be useful, if only to stop the retarded abuse of Hegel - regardless of whether or not Hegel was actually retarded himself.