Editing genes to eliminate cancer or Schizophrenia could stop the rise of geniuses, scientist warns

Editing genes to eliminate cancer or Schizophrenia could stop the rise of geniuses, scientist warns

Advances in genetics could one day eliminate diseases like cancer — but might also wipe out geniuses like Stephen Hawking from our future, warns one scientist.

Dr. James Kozubek says altering human genes to erase depression or Schizophrenia, for example, could stop the rise of the next Shakespeare or Einstein — as creativity and high intelligence are often associated with such disorders.

Writers are 10 times more likely to have Bipolar Disorder. Poets are diagnosed with it 40 times more often than the general population.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4067378/Scientist-warns-editing-genes-eliminate-cancer-Schizophrenia-spell-end-geniuses-Earth.html#comments

So we can cure cancer and narcissist in one fell swoop. What are we waiting for!!

You will lose genius and prodigy that are essential to mankind's progress and evolution.

Bump for Terry

if you have the power to edit genetics then why not just make a person with super human mental capabilities?

The problem is, that it would seem true genius is tied to disorders.

My personal opinion is there's some kind of limit to how smart and normal one person can be.

Transhumanism will get the noggin really noggin when everything it accomplishes flies in the face of those who created it.

Frankenstein's monster in a way, I imagine they'll feel so ostracized they'll probably kill themselves 9/10, and the ones who actually do something will be very politically radical, autistic, etc.

with disorders, it's mostly a compromise with geniuses losing some form of higher function I.E. socializing to gain another higher function I.E. superb math ability. The brain only has so much energy available but with genetic engineering, you could potentially increase the energy allowance and metabolism of the person (since food is abundant) and then have a ultra brainlet

>Dailymail

>We dont know what causes for one to become a genius
>but if we edit genes that cause mental disease we may not get geniuses

hahahahhahahahahahahahahah

No shit, considering a 'gene defect' (Asperger's syndrome/HFA) contributes massively to genius.

Because genius neurology is atypical, so you'd have to give that infant some form of mental disability. That's pretty unethical, yes?

>Meme science tries to tell real science what to do

dont edit your genes warns one scientist,

your genes warns dont edit one scientist,

dont edit your warns scientist one genes,

edit genes dont warns one scientist your,

one genes edit your warns scientist dont,

warns edit genes dont one your scientist

there my article is finished gib moni pls

So humans will essentially become aliens with green skin and big heads.

It it could simply be that a number of people with genius genes tend to carry the mental illness and cancer genes. Doesn't mean we cant isolate the two and get rid of one. We have no proof yet which says whether or not they're bundled together, so we just have to go in and find out.

Will we also get enourmous genitals capable of ten thousand orgasms in a row?

ayy lmao

just edit out the lethal diseases, then

not like these fuckfaces would be useful to us dead, anyway

and the article compares bipolar disorder and cancer, the fuck?

there are no such things as geniuses. just hard work. your best example, Einstein, got all his ideas because he lived in the best environment suited to create breakthroughs. he stole all those other people's ideas from his job and thus came up with his own.

Stop arguing with facts, probability is the only thing that matters. That's why Trump lost, he didn't give a shit about a priori logical arguments.

>there are no such things as geniuses. just hard work.
This.
Bright individual plus mad work -> Euler, Tao, etc...

>Bright individual
>As in genius.
>As in a predisposition do excel in academia.
Gosh, that semantic argument of yours sure got the neurons firing.
Also, try explaining savant syndrome, you effete brainlets?

why would cancer do that? it is a physical disease while the other is mental

>Also, try explaining savant syndrome, you effete brainlets?
Kim Peak. A truly accomplished mathematician.

>Kim Peak. A truly accomplished mathematician.
>Cherry-picking a truly brainlet past-time.
You do know the amount of useful savants right and you literally choose one of the worst examples and think I was going to let you get away with that? Though luck, bozo.

Explain this then.

Protip: You can't.

Also:

> Using Euler and Tao as examples of not having to be born a genius to excel.

I knew geniuses were all either schizo or autistic or depressed or otherwise have some sort of mental "anomaly". By definition, having above average intelligence is not the "norm". I would still prefer to be a genius than a normie, even if it causes me to be unhappy. I'm not happy as a normie anyway.

>there are no such things as geniuses
pfft and how would YOU know that?

>Be me:
>Born with genetic Asperger's syndrome.
>ADHD.
>Mysophobic OCD.
>Sound and light sensitivity.
>Genius range IQ.
>Natural talent for STEM.
>Become lazy and too much vidya.
>End up with two children by the time I'm 21.
>Now trying to fix my past mistakes.
Even with 'genius' genetics it doesn't solve everything.

(OP)
Couldn't we cure schizophrenia, but then also make everybody geniuses, or at least make them a lot smarter than they currently are? If we have the ability to edit that part of the genome, why wouldn't we just do that? The world will be infinitely better if everyone is more intelligent. I will never believe that retarded Hollywood myth about how everyone, even the dumbest among us, are just as valuable as Stephen fucking Hawking. Fucking please. Stupidity is the only evil, and we'll all be better off if we eliminate it.

We must also abolish vidya, but I agree. It's not going to be panacea, certainly not for everyone. It would still be a vast improvement.

Perhaps not abolish, as I'm all for freewill, but we should certainly treat it as a 'harmful past-time', the same way we treat tobacco and alcohol.

The game that robbed me of my destiny was World of Warcraft, roleplaying more specifically, between the ages of twelve to twenty; fuck me, eight years of my life wasted on that crap.

video games are like a bottomless pit where talent goes to waste

one of the greatest evils of our time

>freewill
Goodness me, where did you pick up such language?

Probably in the leftist hotbed that is Argent Dawn, kill me now, kill me now.

does this mean somebody can edit away my schizophrenia genes and turn me into a normalfag?

pls this illness is very debilitating and I'm pretty dumb anyway

Send help

Take a high dose of DXM (and throw on some music so you don't have a bad trip). It cured my schizophrenia in one session.

How many of the famous mathematicians are savants?
More like turbo-autists devoted to mathematics.
Le idiot savant is a meme.

>Explain this then.
He's the GOAT.
You can't compare it to peasants.

It's simple to cure schizophrenia, just alter genes to make everyone schizophrenic and no one would be. Lol. Without context most genius is actually mental illness, adhd is curiosity and drive, ocd the necessity for organization, schizophrenia is acute awareness, and depression is existential dread in finding some teleological purpose. And you can argue the opposite. Normal is just what people decide it to be.

Jesus christ be careful with this one, a dirty dirty drug. You can get really bad depersonalization with some sustained use