During New Year's Eve, we were told that my sister's father in law has Alzheimer. So...

During New Year's Eve, we were told that my sister's father in law has Alzheimer. So, my other sister asks my stupid-fat-faggot-ugly brother (SFFUB), who is medic, what causes Alzheimer. SFFUB gives a very technical explanation about some specific neuro-receptors been saturated by some specific neuro-transmisor, something like

SFFUB:
>"There is a decline in Acetylcholine and the N-methyl-d-aspartate receptors are suffer an over activation due to glutamate."
or some shit like that.

Then, I informed them that I got a 3 years position in Europe. So they ask
>Tell us user, what is that thing that you do?
>Well, I study four dimensional theories with eight supercharges that additionally have conformal symmetry. I try to figure out if the bootstrap program can be applied to such theories.
>C'mon user, can't you explain in simple terms?

And I was like "wtf, this asshole told them very complicated terms without actually explaining anything, and he gets a pass, but I don't."

Why is that guys wearing a white-coat always get a pass for not being able to explain shit and use technical language, while everybody else is accused of being cryptic? It happens all the time, specially on TV. Whenever a football player gets injured the medic in charge names every possible muscle and tendon that might be torn, and that is clear. If anyone else tries to explain how to use path integral as a generating function of Jones polynomails, he just "doesn't care to be understood by the public."

Why?

People trust medical professionals. People hate math.

You are a giant fucking autist

Fpbp

The world is garbage

Because he is smart, good-looking and successful, while you are the joke of your family

"good-looking"?, WTF?, are you gay?, do you think all medics are "good-looking"?

I got a position in Europe, I got a Ph.D., I have articles published in important journals, and he is the successful one?, really?

> I have articles published in important journals, and he is the successful one?, really?
Yes, welcome to the real world, enjoy your stay.

>I have articles published in important journals, and he is the successful one?, really?

He is the succesful one. He is rich.

When he spoke those technical works in medicine they accepted it because his words are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

Your words are worth middle class wages. Fuck your words. Cheap words.

>When he spoke those technical works in medicine they accepted it because his words are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

have you ever heard about the LHC?, you know, the most expensive experiment ever?

It costs more than mere hundreds of thousands of dollars a year

because you're useless and he's useful.

When it comes down to it, 2000 years ago, he'd survive, you'd die.

And did you pay for it or what?

No more than I pay for cancer research. Actually, sometimes I get money from CERN...>because you're useless and he's useful.
>When it comes down to it, 2000 years ago, he'd survive, you'd die.

First, learn English rules, you idiot. Second, that makes no fucking sense. Most medical advances today are thanks to the tools developed by physicists and chemists of the beginning of the 20th century!

Mathematics is more abstract than medicine, and the majority of people don't have an education past high school. Take into account that your family probably doesn't remember much of that either.

Because of this, explaining what you do is going to sound more cryptic.

People automatically care more about medicine related issues, because they feel like it affects them more directly than physics, even if that might not be the case.

>Most medical advances today are thanks to the tools developed by physicists and chemists of the beginning of the 20th century!
So what? Do you think your family or society cares? They save lives and get money and bitches for that. Your research may or may not have impact on something that has impact on something that will be monetarized by marketing and business people. You get middle-class pay. Why should the average Joe respect you? Most people have an anti-intellectual stance, you can't even pull muh science muh value on them. They'd happily redistribute your funding to some african children who can starve 2 weeks longer because of it. You don't even have power about somebody. Somebody from McDonalds lower management has somebody to command, and yes, people will respect him more for that than you.

The entire point of life is shit posting.

I'm a structural engineer
>so user, what do you do?
>I design buildings
>oh... So you're and architect
>A smile spreads across my face.
>launch into a 10 minute long tirade against architecture and how architects are retarded.
>oh but user engineers have less stress than most professions
>if your doctor cousin makes an error, people die
>slam my fist down on the table
>sorry
>but if an engineer makes an error, hundreds, if
not thousands of people could die in an instant.

I don't personally believe half the shit i say desu

If you're not shit posting in real life, you're not really living.

Want to guess how I know that you're from Australia?

Nobody gives a flying fuck about what you study, even including many people on here.
Should have done Biology or Chemistry

I'm not.
But i do have family there.

>biology
>chemistry
What makes you think op is female?

Lhc is a meme.

This.

Them asking you to explain it in easier terms, while not asking the medic, doesn't have to be a bad thing.

It means that they are at least slightly interested in what you are doing.
Them just saying "k." would have been much worse IMO.

Elementary biology is pretty simple and very common, as is chemistry. On the other hand remedial math classes are often fully booked, let alone physics, which most people avoid like the plague.

>Thinks he's from australia
>Didn't say cunt once
Obviously not a native.

>receptors are suffer an over activation

Most people have an idea what that means even if they don't have any idea what the rest of it meant.

The most someone with general knowledge can get from your statement is probably:

>program can be applied to such theories

So while probably not attempting to do so, the med dude gave an explanation with at least something the average person can visualize.

>I want more attention and recognition!!!
Go fuck yourself whiny piece of shit

You should actuslly take that as a compliment. They're trying to tell you what you do is too complicated for them to understand while a sickness isn't. They actually think you'r too smart for them.

>Copperplate
gnruhfayiefhefuhdshjfffffff

>There is a decline in Acetylcholine and the N-methyl-d-aspartate receptors are suffer an over activation due to glutamate.
What's worse is that isn't even a good dexccription of what causes Alzheimer's. Less ACh and glutamate toxicity is a symptom of the disease, not the cause, which is protein misfolding creating plaques in the brain.
You could have said you study theories of particles with lots symmetry, no need to use terms like "superconformal field theory".

That's because normies can easily abstract the doctor's words to "[Chemical] in brain causes [Brain Part] to not work right."

They have a harder time abstracting "[Crazy Shape] with [weird shape properties] might apply to [Computer Thing]." At least I think that's an appropriate normie abstraction. I'm no PHD, but I know a thing or two and I don't know what you're talking about.

Father syndrome/god syndrome/consensus fallacy/Argumentum ad populum

They are an authority higher than you. It goes,

Father>God>Healer>Scientist>Law Enforcement>everyone else

People are superstitious and apply superstition directly to stuff like this. They won't question the higher authority if a lower authority is present they can pick on.

That + this

>"There is a decline in Acetylcholine and the N-methyl-d-aspartate receptors are suffer an over activation due to glutamate."
>or some shit like that.
if that's what they said, your brother is a shitty doctor. that theory is twenty years out of date