Conic topology in relation to physical phenomena: black holes and wormholes:

Why whenever you see a depiction of the structure of a black hole (conic) or wormhole (double-conic) is their topology assumed to be a cone?

>Black hole: imgur.com/a/KGOFQ

>Wormhole: imgur.com/a/bojCo

Bump for interest.

Thank you for the bump, user, I hope I get some answers.

Topologically black holes are usually some variation of spherical. Wormholes are essentially cobordisms of two black holes.

That's interesting, I still don't understand why many of the depictions I've seen are conical though?

Likely easier for the general person to understand, like for use in pop science material

Topology of the spacetime around a blackhole is more complex than "a cone". Spacetime is literaly being twisted like in a hurricane. Oh and here's a spoiler if you ever go and try to figure out the topology of black holes: it's actually a klein bottle.

>the topology of black holes: it's actually a klein bottle.

No it isn't

elaborate faggot.

So, it is simply for the purpose of conceptualising for the layman?

I know that, user, if you re-read my OP, I clearly state:
>Why whenever you see a depiction of the structure of a black hole...
>Depiction.
As in, a representation of the physical phenomena. Also, if you note from the tone of my post, I am asking the question because I consider it strange, or 'wrong' that 'they' are using a conical depiction of the topology of a black hole and/or wormhole.

Also, your comment about the topology of a black hole being a Klein bottle sounds spurious, can you provide sources?

Seconded, I would very much user to provide extraordinary evidence for their extraordinary claim.

You've hit the nail on the head there, physicists create those conic depictions because people usually envision black holes as cosmic funnels that suck everything in. Common folk find it difficult to imagine an infinitely dense point that is capable of doing that so they use this hyperboloid depiction merely to not confuse people. This is dishonest and appeals to "intuition" but at the same time it demystifies an extremely abstract field of physics and allows the common man to "take a bite" so to speak.

You're gonna need more elaboration if we are to believe you. Link to some papers or at least explain what you mean, please.

What if black holes are actually 4D objects? Would make sense since the "center" of a black hole is unseen, possible because its a higher dimension us plebeians cannot see.

We cannot see black holes because electromagnetic radiation cannot resist their gravitational force.

This means that there is no light "bouncing off" from the black hole and that makes them virtually invisible. However, sometimes the intense energy given off by the excitation of matter as it is pulled into the event horizon allows us to see everything around the black hole; thereby allowing us to assume a depiction of the black hole itself (google "quasars").

What about Hawking radiation arising from virtual particles becoming 'real' as their antiparticle partner is drawn into the black hole?

That radiation is real, and while many physicists argue as to whether or not they're actually part of the black hole, all agree on the fact that a wavelength of this radiation entering our visible spectrum would be extremely improbable.

At least it shows that QM isn't entirely bunkum.

Oh yeah, if it weren't for predictions like that actually being detectable (despite not being visible) QM might fall on the same ground as string theory. The whole concept of hawking radiation formation is really cool actually, I'm always surprised that it rarely enters the popsci bubble.

Well, I'm an engineer with interest in pure mathematics and theoretical physics. However, because I have a family, I had to find a profitable career; hence the reason for not taking pure math or theoretical physics into the academic level.

Yep same story here actually except I'm more into physics and chemistry than pure math. I chose to become a doctor (family tradition at this point) because being a physicist is not a stable way to feed a family, despite my natural love for it.

Black holes are just so dense that it literally turns the particle into an anti-particle, which would have the opposite effect on gravity and move outwards of the event horizon, only to collide with the matter and annihilate the antiparticle.

I thought about going into medicine, however my decision to not was twofold:
>1) Practicing medicine in the United Kingdom is a 'meme', in that the pay it awful and the government doesn't care about your profession.
>2) My mysophobia and a couple of unfavourable anecdotes from my med-school friends put me off.

An interesting point, user.

>1) Practicing medicine in the United Kingdom is a 'meme', in that the pay it awful and the government doesn't care about your profession.

Oh I completely understand, the medical field in the UK just seems totally disappointing; it's all risk and no reward. If I lived there I'd probably get into applied sciences too.

As far as anecdotes go, well I've heard plenty of bad ones but medicine is the only field other than physics that really interests me so I'll just have to roll with the punches.

>The medical field in the UK just seems totally disappointing; it's all risk and no reward.
Very true, the once proud tradition of the NHS is now a shadow of its former self.

For instance, my GP's reply when I said I was worried about a martial arts injury I had received:
>What's vasovagal syncope?

That certainly killed my faith in the NHS and their 'medical professionals'.

Although, I must say, Denmark seems rather good. For both of our children we've had a Danish health visitor, who is a former midwife and she seems highly competent and knowledgeable when compared to those who are British trained.

>I'll just have to roll with the punches.
Good luck, user and Godspeed.

Wow I had no idea things were that bad, I mean here in my city we've got a few sketchy doctors from the soviet bloc but it's far from the norm.

As far as the danes go I'm not even surprised, the nordic council countries have far surpassed most other nations in their ability to instruct and specialize their professionals. In all honesty if I had to live in a european country it would be one of those.

>Good luck user, and Godspeed.

Thanks brother, the same to you. Hopefully you'll still get to indulge in your love of physics and theoretical math even as an engineer.

>Soviet bloc.
Oh, I too can attest to that.

My former surgery was nothing but Eastern European dentists with British nurses, very amusing.

>In all honesty if I had to live in a European country it would be one of those.
Shan't lie, I've considered to moving to Norway before.

>Hopefully you'll still get to indulge in your love of physics and theoretical math even as an engineer.
Hopefully, it would be a shame to put it to waste.

Who knows? I might come up with a brilliant engineering solution and make millions or even billions and be able to dabble in various different STEM degrees for the fun of it.