Discuss what would happens if Earth were to become a rogue planet

Discuss what would happens if Earth were to become a rogue planet.

I'm curious.
>pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-8400mah-4s2p-30c-lifepo4-pack.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We'd die without a sun.

We'd all freeze to death.

Well I guess some smart people would live under the frozen oceans and keep warm with nuclear power.

But you and me, we'd be dead.

while everything would shatter from the cold after a few days you could make a pretty good underground shelter in/around a geothermal vent. It'd take a few years of planning though, not something you could whip up after the fact

I know that much. I was actually more curious as to what would happen to the Earth itself. I'm assuming that the lack of a sun would freeze pretty much everything, leaving the world to a seemingly lifeless, frozen state?

The surface would be frozen, there would still be liquid water in the deep oceans and around geothermal vents.

You're gonna get sea ice everywhere in a few weeks and then it will just keep freezing deeper and deeper.

They'd freeze to death too. It would just take longer.

We'd basically be a huge comet.

Sounds like a lot of cometment. :^)

>Well I guess some smart people would live under the frozen oceans and keep warm with nuclear power.
That's actually a cool idea for a sci-fi base

You could base the whole series about different city states warring between each other for the remaining access to nuclear fuel(s)/other resources if they already had fusion reactors and a plentiful source (the ice/water).

really not much.

Why?

We have an active radioactive core and thermal vulcination of the ocean.

We have a dense atmosphere which traps heat generated by the core.

It would be colder yes but not too bad.

The entire earth would be canada pretty much, assuming the moon came along for the ride.

Also most plants would die and then the animals but we would be ok because we could generate massive massive heat using nuclear reactors.

That would be pretty interesting to read and/or watch.
I'm gonna write it now.

Retarded the post

It'd get cold as fuck real fast, everything would die. Then after a short while, everyone in underground nuclear fallout shelters would run out of resources and die.

Co-author me, please.

You might like pic related.

Not quite what you describe, but its still on point.

Sure thing, user.

Great, my name is Ross Denyer from Barnstaple.

hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-8400mah-4s2p-30c-lifepo4-pack.html

By co-author you, I think I meant I would just give credit for the concept,and not actually co-author you, lol. I'm probably not gonna get it published

You will with my help, would you like my email?

Oh jeez I didn't expect this to be taken seriously

Oh, so we aren't writing a book together? Bummer, it sounded like a solid plot.

Right now I'm just kinda writing this "book" privately, I enjoy writing in my free time. You could try to write a book of the same plot on your own, though.

Sorry for the disappointment :|

user, together it'll be perfect, just give it a chance?

I also have a question related to this topic,

Lets say the Earth was thrown into intergalactic space and that Earth would never be in contact with anything else in space outside of background radiation. How long would life last on Earth? I'm not necessarily talking about intelligent life but micro-organisms in the bottom of the ocean and such. From how I always understood that sort of life would last longer on a rogue planet than orbiting the Sun

intergalactic ruckus

we'd freeze pretty quickly except for what said, and even then if we went rogue within the next 50 years, I doubt anyone would survive in that scenario. What would likely happen is that everything on land would freeze pretty quickly (not flash freeze like depicted in Futurama but within 2 or 3 earth days, 1 week max). Oceans would take a bit longer to freeze over, but likely wouldnt freeze solidly, just the top mile or so of ocean. its unlikely, but possible, that fish like the fangtooth fish, which lives anywhere from 2-5 kilometers below sea level, and others that live that deep but we haven't discovered, would survive, at least temporarily, because of the heat coming from the core of the earth. if earth were to catch itself in orbit of another sun like star and thaw out without burning to a crisp or become bombarded with asteroids, its theoretically possible that the earth would be like a space seed, when it thawed out some of the more hardy plants, fish, and microbes would survive and begin life again (assuming the even that would make earth become rogue wouldnt wipe all life off the planet).

if this subject hasnt already been covered, this would make a pretty interesting subject for that History channel show about space.

>History channel show about space.
They'll just make it about Nazis again.