How viable is artificial gravity using centripetal force?

How viable is artificial gravity using centripetal force?

Other urls found in this thread:

nss.org/settlement/ColoniesInSpace/colonies_chap12.html
space.com/22228-space-station-colony-concepts-explained-infographic.html
youtube.com/watch?v=EHKQIC5p8MU
bogan.ca/physics/coriolis.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbulence
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's a gundam!

Once you get a big thing spinning, it will only take a little push sometimes to keep it that way, so it seems pretty viable

This.

Anyone who has used something manual that has a massive flywheel knows this well. Like a pottery wheel for example. Hard to get going, but after that it is really easy.

assuming the thing is a few billion megatons it'll take approximately a lot of fucking energy to get it spinning in the first place

Except it's not a few billion megatons, the design for the stanford torus is around 10 megatons. In addition, the radiation shielding, which accounts for a large percentage of the mass, does not need to rotate with the habitat region

Anyone know what the delta v calculation for figuring that out is? W=1/2m(v2/2−v2/1) ? All my popsci math is for shit in the face of simple kinematics.

Wouldn't that be disorienting for the people inside, though? Seeing the shielding spinning relative to them I mean.

Who cares about that? They'll get used to it.

You'd just look outside and see something moving. I don't think it'd be a problem.

going outside and seeing a plane in the sky makes me vomit and fall over

Big problem would be heat i think. The whole thing would need to be spinning or friction would quickly friction weld whatever's standing still to whatever's moving. Pretty hard to cool shit off in space

>Pretty hard to cool shit off in space

how do you know this? Have you been to space? why do sci-tards always talk out of their ass when they clearly know nothing

Stop posting anytime

>The whole thing would need to be spinning or friction would quickly friction weld whatever's standing still to whatever's moving

The heat shield can simply float without touching the habitation zone.

That picture is akin to:
>I am Nostradamus, hear me roar!

All you'd need is ion thrusters to get it spinning, you brainlet. There isn't any friction up there.

oh good point, there's no friction, I didn't think of that
just add a couple thrusters and wait a few thousand years for it to accelerate, great thinking

For one, it wouldn't take that long, moron. For two, you're really impatient, aren't you?

He is completely correct. There is noting to convect or conduct to, which is the largest source of heat dissipation in the universe. It would have to radiate, and that means it has to cool by letting off tiny light particles, which takes a long time and is highly ineffective.

Inside - what relative motion are you then thinking of??

Yes it can, in free fall. As soon as you want to make a translational shift though, you're in for some chop.

More like a few thousand weeks. Probably less than that.

You can use large thin cooling fins, perpendicular to the sun. Problem solved.

>There isn't any friction up there.
> you brainlet
Yes there is. Just no air friction. The parts of the object itself certainly would experience friction.

That would be geometrically difficult for a torus. Also, it orbits a planet and hence is not always at the same position relative to the sun. They would have to move, and this would require them to be a certain size/strength. All adding to the weight of the craft.

>I don't know how friction works in relation to the craft spinning.
I love it, Veeky Forums is literally just all of popsci cunts, isn't it?

Stop talking shit out your ass. Put in some numbers to back up your claim or get the fuck . I suggest using the density of iron or steel as basis for your calculations.

Here is my napkin calculation of the energy necessary to give it the desired acceleration a for a body with density rho and external radius r_e, that would depend, together with the thickness z, on the amount of people you want to shelter.

If there was a non-moving component like the radiation shield, it would experience friction with the spinning torus. Even though it is in free-fall, there are still micro-variations in the earth's gravity that would cause geodesic deviation and the parts would rub together. That good enough?

What about cold-welding, wouldn't that be an issue to:
>parts rubbing together.

Yeah, but I don't know too much about that. I understand the principle of it, but I don't really know how it adversely affects spacecraft.

Essentially, as the friction of the radiation shield rubbing against the craft removes the oxide layer it eventually welds together.

I messed up my formula but the mistake is quite obvious and left as an exercise to the reader.

Guys I think this thread just gave me a brilliant idea how to solve the whole prolonged exposure to zero G issue.
Pic related. You'd just make the rocket longer and spin it along on the way. Not only will it generate gravity at the ends but the stars will look cool from the inside too.

That would be a real problem.

Yep, I just ruined my own 'no friction' argument, fuck my life.

This is actually a pretty good idea, user, well done. - Someone should mail this to NASA.

You have to make the ship large though. If it's too small, you'll get weird Coriolis effects. Still, that's probably better than losing muscle mass like crazy.

Centripital force is not a viable alternative to gravity

If it wasa few billion megatons, it would already have natural gravity.

t. know it all Jesus

Gravity and acceleration are the same thing in GR. It is viable.

What about cold-welding as a mentioned above faggots? Wouldn't your torus just end up welded to the radiation shield?

>spin some around in one of NASA's centrifuges
>they pass out from the G-force

If it works when its killing it will work when its keeping them alive god damn it.

>If it works when its killing it will work when its keeping them alive god damn it.
You'd make a great mission commander. :')

Assuming we can build these things energy looks like a trivial matter

Put the fucking thing in the hull itself and let it rotate.

Except there is no friction, because the radiation shield is separated from the spinning colony by several feet:

" There will be a clearance of several feet to keep the hull and shell from touching or scraping. The shell will be tied by cables to the central hub to ensure that no such scraping can occur and the cable lengths will be maintained tight like bicycle spokes. Inevitably, there will be concern that the hull and shell may scrape despite these precautions. The solution will be simple: add more clearance. An extra 4 feet of clearance will only increase the shell mass from 10,000,000 tons to 10,100,000."

nss.org/settlement/ColoniesInSpace/colonies_chap12.html

As I was autistically scribbling in the middle of a birthday party I didn't notice the error, not that anybody cares.

But, Nostradamus was right.....

They can both change in tandem. It wouldn't be any more difficult than any of the other instant death things involved with such a habitat.

>or get the fuck .

God fucking damn it! Stop sending shitheads to our board. It isn't a trash heap. There is literally a board for that shit and it is Because /out/ is a great board when faggots like you don't dump your orange peels into it.

Completely wrong. Embarrassing.

Yes... I know it is not right to do physics in parties, but the cake was bad!

It's probably the most viable element of the entire fantasy.

Logically, it's smashed assholes on a skewer

You would probably fail as a candidate for space colonization. Fortunately for the effort, there are millions of viable candidates to take your sorry place.

The design calls for transfer of energy between the outer passive shielding and inner torus. The end product would be a more slowly rotating out shield and the full speed habitat.

There would be no need for windows facing the shielding, would there?

Roller bearings.

Do you folks realize this has already been studied?

space.com/22228-space-station-colony-concepts-explained-infographic.html

That's why you put it at the Earth-Sun L3 or L5. Relative position for PV panels and cooling panels would always be fixed.

what would happen if you threw something straight up in a place with centripetal gravity?
my intuition tells me that from the point of the observer, the thrown object would appear to move against the direction of rotation

what would this mean for things like helicopters?
i feel like it wouldn't work
can somebody throw together a force diagram and check it

PBS Spacetime
youtube.com/watch?v=EHKQIC5p8MU

the thrown object would move in a perfectly normal way afaik - just as if you were on a planet.

What are the alternatives to a really really really big ball bearing and what could be done to save momentum if the bearing were to break?

this is dumb

The real purpose of our civilization should be the production of AGI that will be able to spread throughout the galaxy using von neumann probes. One day all usable material reachable at fractions of C will be converted into computing substrate.

Is the "no gravity here" section a really long rod with bearings at each end?

Almost.
If you were a tennis player you would feel something different in the ball trajectory, because it's not perfectly straight and parabolic.
Here is a good explanation of the coriolis effect in a space station:
bogan.ca/physics/coriolis.html
But that is a small station, if the radius is in the km range, angular velocity is going to be quite smaller and the effect less evident.
Probably invisible for normal human activity.

>how do you know this? Have you been to space?
Top god damn kek

if you just had an empty torus full of air, when you begin spinning it, the air will remain stationary, and relative to someone who is on the surface of the torus, the wind will appear to be blowing

after you start spinning it, how long would it take for the air to "stabilize"?

like dicks lol

What radius of the ring is necessary to achieve a somewhat 1G uniform pull along the height of a simple two storey building?

>How viable is artificial gravity using centripetal force?

The physics behind it are sound, but long term biological effects have never been researched.

>after you start spinning it, how long would it take for the air to "stabilize"?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbulence
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum

>What radius of the ring is necessary to achieve a somewhat 1G uniform pull along the height of a simple two storey building?

i was asking because i'm not smart enough for fluid mechanics

Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on Veeky Forums by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is Veeky Forums. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it

>i was asking because i'm not smart enough for fluid mechanics

it depends on a whole lot of factors, like what is the surface area of the ring that is actually touching the air, how fast the ring is spinning, and how much mass of air is inside the ring.

It would be something like maybe an hour or less, with smaller/slower rings coming up to speed quicker, and larger/faster ones taking more time.

Basically the answer really depends upon the size of the ring.

*slow claps*
*steps out of the shadows*
Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your memes, I mean. They're not bad. A good first attempt. They're plenty dank... I can tell they have some thought behind them... lots of quotable material... But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks? To call yourself a member of the Ruseman's Corps? Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - I mean the big guys, like Johnny Hammersticks and Billy Kuahana - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme. And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at /r/funny. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost ;) . It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some cocksucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some shit that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to. Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive. See you on Reddit...

It's ok for labrats that we will become.
Humanity has taken the flame of science as far as it could. Space is not ment for humans.

>a few billion megatonnes
That is called a planet, desu.

are you the kind of retard who thinks space is cold or something

I get that you're trying to make a joke, but people have proposed concepts very close to this, using a tether rather than a "longer rocket".

For instance, if someone were going to go to Mars in a small capsule, for argument's sake, let's say it's a Dragon 2 launched by a Falcon Heavy.

Pic related: you use the upper stage as a counterweight, connected by a tether to the capsule, and use the thrusters to spin it up so you have light gravity (somewhere in the lunar to martian range). You stick a BEAM on top for living space during the coast, now there's a tolerable two rooms for two people or a comfortable amount of space for one person. You sleep and shelter from radiation in the middle of your containers of supplies and waste.

This could also be launched on a Falcon 9 to LEO, or by a Falcon Heavy to a lagrange point where real deep space conditions can be observed, and would be about a thousand times more interesting and useful than the ISS.

but the plane would take up half your fov

[eqn] \frac{the \; joke}{your \; head} [/eqn]

what the h*ck is this

Remember the Cant.

scene from "The Expanse" tv series. he's on a somewhat "small" space station that rotates for artificial g

Your pic reminded me of this pic.

>How viable is artificial gravity using centripetal force?
TRL = 6 or 7. 9 if you count human centrifuges on Earth. Totally viable, but there are drawbacks to having a spinning vessel (i.e. docking and EVA become more complicated).
>few billion megatons
You don't have to have a full Stanford Torus to achieve artificial gravity via centrifugal action. Most human centrifuges on Earth are boom/truss and counterweight types, which could just as well be implemented in space at similarly small scales. One version of Transhab was planned to use a tether and counterweight (in the form of a spent rocket stage) to similar effect, for a transit to Mars.
Well it's rotational velocity, not linear, so it'd be delta-omega instead of delta-v. And to figure out how much propellant it'd take (assuming you use propellant instead of reaction wheels or the like), you'd have to look at the moment of inertia of the assembly, the moment arm of the thrusters used to spin it up, the ISP of those thrusters, and of course the initial and final angular velocities. Technically you'd need to look at the change in inertia due to expended propellant too but I doubt it'd be significant to matter much.

That screen save is stupid.
You really think we aren't going to start engineering our genome?

>what would happen if you threw something straight up in a place with centripetal gravity?
It would fallow a curved path, and land in front of you.

>what would this mean for things like helicopters?
Surprisingly little. In a ring large enough to fit a helicopter, the centrifugal and coriolis effects are going to be small enough to be managed by the pilot.

You don't just begin to spin it, way too much energy is required.
Realistically it would be a very slow process that takes months, air would just accelerate gradually with it.
So there would be a breeze during the speed up, but very gentle and difficult even to notice.

How do they get the water to flow?

They could use pumps. Especially if you're talking about fountains or plumbing. If you really need the central waterway to flow, you could raise part of it and let it flow downhill like an aqueduct.

how do you detect air leaks on something like this?
how do you fix it before it becomes problematic?

i know we have a way to detect leaks with some kind of radiation magic, but iirc it's for small scale, and we can't afford to irradiate a whole space station full of people

I can't imagine the fuel costs of stationkeeping for a multi-million ton vehicle in L3.

The hull could be compartmentalized double layered with pressure sensors inside it. This way if a debris did cause hull fracture the sensor would know exactly where.