Veeky Forums cross-poster reporting in. I'm starting a cut and I have some venison steak in the freezer...

Veeky Forums cross-poster reporting in. I'm starting a cut and I have some venison steak in the freezer. I don't have a grill so I usually oven bake all my protein, which is usually chicken breast.
do you guys have any suggestions for recipes for venison steak? are there any good marinades to use with it? should I just pan-fry it instead? seems like a travesty as I like grilled venison more than grilled cow steak

Once I cook it I usually save the rest and eat it like a cold cut later.

well no because
*brings the mic closer*
every 10 years your cells in your body actually completely change.
i was reading this article about how DMT can actually advance this process into only taking 6 years because your pineal gland- jaimie could you get that article up? yeah but its because your pineal glands can actually make your cells rejuvenate faster ... here we go
*looks over at the screen*
look at that ...
yeah that chimp must be what? 400 pounds? jesus those things will tear you to shreds

woah there bro
>>>/anotherthreadentirely/

please link whatever crazy fucking thread that should have been posted in

It's no different than cooking a beef or any other kind of steak.

I'd suggest either cooking it in a pan or use the broiler in your oven.

You could marinade it if you want, it's up to you.

If it were me and I had no grill, I would:
-brine it overnight
-take it out a couple hours before I intended to cook it so it can warm up to room temp.
-right before cooking season it with salt and black pepper
-sear it on both sides using a skillet
-transfer the whole skillet (steak and all) into the oven and and finish cooking.
-remove steak from the skillet and set aside. meanwhile make a pan sauce from the drippings in the skillet. (though I assume you'd probably skip that since you're on a cut and I know the fear that Veeky Forums has of anything involving oil or fat)

holy fuck checked, and with the solid post too
that sounds good but I don't think I even have a skillet that's oven safe tbhfam. could I switch it to a baking tray? and what are your tips on pan sauce? never even tried it before
Idgaf about oil or fat. I'm calorie counting so as long as I'm under I'm good, I think.
what brine do you suggest?

what cut is it?

somebody wrote "venison steak" on the package. the cuts are small chunks. that is all I know

Yeah, you could switch it to a baking tray. Or you could finish it in the frying pan on the stove top. Just lower the heat after you've seared it to let it cook through without burning.

As for the "pan sauce", the basics would be:
-take the steak out of the pan and put it somewhere else to rest
-put the pan back on the heat. Pour a splash of whiskey, red wine, brandy, or beef stock into the pan to deglaze it. Get a spatula and scrape up any bits of steak that stuck to the pan. Reduce it so that it thickens. While it's reducing take a look at your steak. If any juices came out from the steak while it was resting add those to the pan too.
-after your sauce has thickened up a bit serve it poured over the steak. The idea is to make a small amount of a strongly flavored sauce.

>>brine
Just salt and water bro.

what temp should I use when baking to finish it off? how will I know when it's properly seared? what is the point of a brine? am I wasting your time when this could be answered with google?

If you're counting calories don't make a fucking pan sauce, it's tasty as fuck because it's literally just oil and venison fat. Also don't rest before cooking to reach room temperature, resting do two hours barely actually effects the temperature at the core of the meat, and don't add any pepper at all until it's cooked, it'll burn in the pan and turn incredibly bitter.

Good job cutting directly along the grain.

resting?

He talked about letting it sit out of the fridge to come up to room temperature - that's a meme don't do it.

Also for optimal flavour dry brine for 4 days. Heat skillet for like 10-20 mins before adding oil, then another 5-10, then add the meat. Baste with butter and your choice of herbs. Rub a garlic clove along the top side as it Sears, flip as regularly as possible (every 15s or so).

what kind of oil?

If you're health focused, peanut or rapeseed are good, I use rapeseed for its crazy high smoke point personally. Olive oil is going to taste best and be best for you, but won't get as hot so you'll not get as good a Maillard reaction ie browning

any neutral cooking oil is fine

uh is vegetable oil fine

Yes. Just not something full retard like extra virgin olive.

Yeah man - most vegetable oil is mostly rapeseed.

why is that full retard

This meme is not for you, newfriends

Unlike regular olive oil which has been purified, extra virgin is essentially olive juice. All that extra shit in it gives it way more flavor at the cost of a very low smoke point. Save it for finishing or salad dressing.

Yeah, you'd cook the flavor out of the EVO oil anyway at high heat. Just adds smoke and toxins to your food.

Well, riddle me this then. Before Batali and Bastianich got to be major douchebags, they always argued for using EVOO for deep frying on. Do you think they were really trying to fuck us up? Seems kind of pointless to me.