ELENA FERRANTE EXPOSED

I can't believe Veeky Forums doesn't have a thread about one of the biggest literary stories of the year.

nybooks.com/daily/2016/10/02/elena-ferrante-an-answer/

It's already prompted outrage:

npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/10/03/496406869/for-literary-world-unmasking-elena-ferrantes-not-a-scoop-its-a-disgrace

newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-unmasking-of-elena-ferrante

newrepublic.com/minutes/137377/nyrbs-argument-doxing-elena-ferrante-not-good

This is a game changer, people

We already had a few threads, including one in which some dumbass was baiting a bunch of bigger dumbasses by saying he didn't care about the violation of her rights because she's rich

Literally writing in blackface, or in this case, Naplesface.

>The part of Gatti’s claim that has unavoidable meaning for readers is that Anita Raja’s biography does not at all correspond to that of Elena Ferrante as gleaned from her novels, or as described in “Frantumaglia,” a work of autobiographical fragments that first appeared in Italy more than a decade ago and which will be published in the United States on November 1st. In that book, Ferrante writes that she grew up in Naples, the daughter of a local seamstress. Raja’s mother, Golda Frieda Petzenbaum, worked as a teacher, and was born in Worms, Germany, into a Polish Jewish family that fled to Italy in 1937. She married a Neapolitan magistrate, but the family moved to Rome, in 1956, when Raja was three. If Raja is Elena Ferrante, that would mean, among many other things, that she has no firsthand knowledge of the postwar Naples milieu that she evokes with such fiercely unsentimental strokes, the oppressive rione on the city’s outskirts that anchors the Neapolitan novels and gives them their extraordinary texture of lived truth.

I'm said dumbass and fuck anyone up in arms over this. If I had even a tenth of her money I'd laugh shit like this off.

>extraordinary texture of lived truth

Holy shit this fetish for verisimilitude the contemporary literature scene has is fucking daft.

>he thinks literature is composed of mere words instead of pure distilled Life

literally who

>I'm said dumbass

lmfao

tl;dr

what is this and why should I care?

A bullshit "scandal" about a bestselling pseudonymous author being exposed. You really shouldn't care.

>not evaluating the work as a literary object in and of itself
>following the scandals of authors and their personal lives

max. pleb

>german born mother fled the holocaust

What's it matter, i got a whole western canon to cover and this old mother who makes millions got "exposed".

No one goes and follows authors around, they're probably some of the most obscure people in existence when they choose to be.

The outsider's perspective is necessary for a full picture of something. It provides a level of objectivity that someone inside the thing cannot provide.

If this author's readers follow the women's-rag mentality, how again is she supposed to be better than your usual pop seller? All this is better left undiscussed desu

It would be interesting if it was the author was actually connected to Lenu in the book, who was front row center observing mafia hits and govt corruption, but it turns out she isnt, so who cares.

The books are quite good though

They were marketed towards awful middle aged female readers, despite the books being of higher quality. For instance, the covers make it look like some period piece, not a violent story about gangs, labor rights suppression, poverty, and friendship.

ITT: Misogynists

Never change /pol/

>If Raja is Elena Ferrante, that would mean, among many other things, that she has no firsthand knowledge of the postwar Naples milieu that she evokes with such fiercely unsentimental strokes, the oppressive rione on the city’s outskirts that anchors the Neapolitan novels and gives them their extraordinary texture of lived truth.

How could they have perceived the extraordinary texture of lived truth (literally gave me nausea to type that out) in the first place if it was never there?

Why the fuck would I care if I know her real name or not. Read Romeo and Juliet again dweeb.

The magic of literature.

>read
>a play

No play has ever been as good on stage as it is in my head. Work on your inner life.