I want to try selling soup outside my local train station on weekday mornings this coming winter...

I want to try selling soup outside my local train station on weekday mornings this coming winter. Would Veeky Forums buy a hot soup breakfast on their way to work?

soup of all things? to people about to get on a train? the fuck is wrong with you

>soup for breakfast

i would not.

for 2 bucks i would

I never turn down a soup opportunity of the price is right and the soup looks good

This is not uncommon in New York. However you will need to brand yourself so that you don't look like a random guy selling random soup. There was this Chinese lady that used to do it in Brooklyn by my place, however only other Chinese people stopped because they trusted her. she probably only spoke Chinese anyway. But it'll only work if you have a cool shirt and a cause maybe. 5 cents a soup goes to charity lol.

With a lid like a coffee cup. Not something you need to have open and eat with a spoon

Unless you've got the whole shebang of licenses and approved facilities and equipment, expect tha po po to shut you down

Yeah I'm looking it up. It doesn't seem to restrictive here (ausfag), I think there'd only be one license to get. But I would need to talk to the local council to find out for sure.

where will you make the soup?
is it just broth?

Probably at home, but the idea was to have some kind of portable hotplate or burner to keep it warm onsite.

I'm thinking tomato at least at first, then maybe try things like potato & leek, broths, pumpkin etc. Anything you can drink out of a coffee cup

Here's what you need to make this shit work OP

>strong ass containers with lids that will not budge
>best fuckin food processor you can get
>a huge variety of soups including dairy free/vegetarian/kosher options and at least two spicy soups
>like at least nine altogether
>soups should be drinkable for maximum convenience
>basically decide on your recipes, cook/prep beforehand, puree the shit out of everything, bam soup
>always rice, never noodles
>meat/potato chunks should be not much bigger than a grain of rice, so take it down a couple settings on the food processor for those
>this is to ensure no one has to use a spoon
>because no retard would make someone eat soup with a fucking spoon on a train especially when they might be carrying a bag already
>seriously the MOST successful truck foods in the city are one-handed, make your shit spoonless and drinkable
>heed the wisdom of the japanese soup vending machines
>be the starbucks of soup
>and for the love of christ don't fill the cups all the way

Good luck soup user.

Depending on the country, soup is not a widely acceptable form of breakfast.

People like their coffee, and they like their pastries. Breakfast sandwiches work too.

If you could make like a breakfast stuffed bun (egg, sausage, bacon, cheese, etc), I'm sure that would sell better than soup.

Boil and puree carrots, cauliflower, and yams, add cheese and cream while still hot so the cheese melts, throw in some bacon bits. I've yet to have a better soup ever in my life.

Do some prototyping and see what soups you can get to comfortably sip from a lidded cup.

Then you can focus on those and not risk anything being a waste come season.

Thanks user. I don't think I'll have the space or resources for more than one soup per day, at least to start, but gf/vegan is on the rise in my area so it definitely needs consideration.
Yeah. Toast with smashed avo or cheese and garlic is something else I was thinking of. But I think it's more difficult to toast bread onsite than it is to keep soup warm.
Sounds tasty user, will make.
That's the plan user, cheers

>9 soups

nigga fuck off.

OP, do 2, or 3 really good quality soups.

Tomato bisque sounds nice. Maybe broccoli and cheese would work out a cup too.

For breakfast? No.

If I were the type to buy street food then I'd be down for some dank oatmeal tho. It'd have to be good quality, fresh fruit, interesting flavours, ect.

Oh true. I'd get a cheap oatmeal breakfast to go for sure; only thing is that it's two-handed which is a negative. But it wouldn't use any equipment that soup doesn't, flexibility is good

How about cobbling together a BUSINESS PLAN? You offering coffee, too? If I stumble up on my way to work in the morning and ask for coffee, I don't want a bright smiling face telling me "No, Sir! We have SOUP!"

Maybe miso soup. Maybe.

the costs in fees, licence, dues, to operate as a street vendor in NY, is roughly a quarter million dollars per year.

I would, but I live in Melbourne and people demand espresso, I wouldn't get anywhere selling instant or filter or anything. You can't run an espresso machine off an outdoor table; I'd be looking at buying or refitting a coffee van which is a whole nother level of investment

Rough. I'd imagine it would be similar in Melbourne CBD. I'm out in the burbs though.

Unless you mean the whole of new york state, in which case fuck that

Whereabouts were you gonna set up this soup thing.

I reckon you should set it up somewhere in Fitzroy, they're really big on vegan, organic and gluten free shit so you could probably make tomato soup, brand it as vegan, organic or whatever and charge double

there's a guy that tried to sell pourover coffee outside the train station near my house.

there were 2 problems: it took a while, and he didn't keep any kind of schedule. he seemed to show up whenever he felt like it and the weather was okay.

i would consider buying a a cold, securely packaged soup to take to work for lunch.

I feel like it'd be less spill prone than soup and if you did spill some it wouldn't ruin you outfit, you'd just have a small stain for the day.

I'm outer east, Croydon or Ringwood station probably

Fuck that's far out mate, might wanna leave out out meat from your soups cause from what I've heard a lot of muslims live out that way and halal meat is always marked up so you'd be spending more than you earn on this business venture

>melbourne pls go
But for reals user, I've had this idea with some of my old co-workers, and many agree that whilst soups would be a nice little warmth, nothing beats a fresh bacon and egg roll.

>halal meat is always marked up

This isn't even the slightest bit true, I get it same price or cheaper.

You have to remember Australia exports a lot of its halal slaughtered meat to its neighbouring muslim countries.

Shit really, I'm a bit closer to the city (Preston) and I've noticed around my area it's more expensive.

It shouldn't be more expensive, are you seeing this in butcheries themselves?

I don't know what the diet/eating habits are like in Australia, but here in NYC people would probably pay $10 for avocado toast with an egg on it. then again I have no idea what kind of regulations and layers of bureaucracy go into selling food like that.

Yep, I've had to cook halal meat for my Afghani friend a couple times when he's come over and the halal meat from the butcher on the main road in Preston was more expensive than the regular butchers

Australia's pretty expensive in the main cities.

bisque, make it not too hot though, I'd hate to burn my tongue on your stupid cheap shit that I only got because I accidentally looked you in the eyes as I was walking by. I will sue

Depends where you look though, if you're only looking at trendy restaurants and shit on the main roads in the city of course it's gonna be expensive, you gotta look around to find good places, for example there's a noodle place I always go to in the city that has massive plates of noodles and other shit for $10

Up marked price is probably more due to ripping people off than being innately more pricey and that happens with butchers.

Mate, don't know if you have been in other countries but even our relatively cheap hole-in-the-wall joints are expensive compared to other countries, and I'm talking expensive cities like Tokyo.

I have, London was 5x more expensive, Paris was 2x more expensive, Frankfurt was surprisingly about the same and Hong Kong was cheaper

Australia's city's really aren't as expensive as you seem to think it is.

Alright let's compare london to sydney.

Price of food:

Sydney > London

Price of property:

Sydney > London

Price of Labour:

Sydney > London

If you think London or even Paris (lol) are more expensive than Sydney then I don't know what to say other than you are outright lying and I doubt you've even existed outside your comfort zone.

Jesus Christ you are so wrong it hurts, a pasty for example in london is 5 pounds which is the equivalent of $8 Australian dollars whereas I can get one for $3-$4 anywhere in Australia, I'll grant you that hipster cafes and the like are retardedly expensive but it's the same everywhere else with hipster cafes, Housing in London is insanely expensive for what you get and I can guarantee you that you can get way more for the same kind of money in Australia, the price of labour is pretty fairly priced here, we have an abundance of decent tradies and all that, the only time you're gonna be ripped off is if you are dealing with sketchy wogs or a company that's being actively cucked by a union that likes to get exorbitant wage raises.

If you honestly think that London or Paris is ever going to be cheaper than anywhere in Australia you are delusional or you've never actually traveled or lived overseas

>not buying loads of cuppa soup sachets and just adding hot water on the street

Are you even trying?

sell broth to millennials

Make as much shit as you want up it doesn't make you right, all objective evidence points to the contrary, something your 'anecdotes' will never disprove.

Also, I said Sydney not the whole of Australia, no one gives a shit what price a pasty is in shitholes like the Northern Territory.

Seems like a fine menu and a good business model. I would probably buy some.

>$9 for two cups of boiled bone water
You ever see the interview where the guy running the cereal bar gets asked "gee couldn't somebody buy a whole box of cereal and a gallon of milk for the prices you're charging for a single bowl" and then he gets super flustered and asks the interviewer to leave?

Yeah. It's like that.

cereal is totally different from making broth though. it's a bit of a process to make good, clean broth. maybe the prices on the menu seem offensive to you though, I get that.

maybe you dont understand the nuances of fine cereal making

Yes it is a good business model, especially to make money off millennials. They somehow turned soup into something "new and interesting" and priced it accordingly. millennials are always looking for new food trends. Also, their menu can be made way ahead of time, frozen, and thawed before they open. Literally just pour broth in a cup and ring up customers, 2 people could knock out long lines no problem. Stock/broth is easy as fuck to make if you've done it before.

I paid £17 for a pork pie in a cafe/bar along from Euston station a couple of months ago. It's not common, but it's not rare either.

i realized you were completely serious and not just hating on millennials im too used to /pol/