Polenta is like slightly better Malt-O-Meal. There's no reason to compare it to grits...

Polenta is like slightly better Malt-O-Meal. There's no reason to compare it to grits, besides the fact that they're both made of corn.

What's up with the polenta meme?

How is it not the same thing as grits?

They taste different and have a different texture.

Its crazy how much local farm to market restaurants sell this shit. $16-20 for a couple 2-3 oz squares of polenta grilled with a side of veggies. Kek, then they wonder why people dont go

Make your own, you American idiot.

>American idiot.
Jesus, i wasnt bitching i just think its funny that people pay that much for literal poorfag food. Fucking faggot

>Fucking faggot
f-fuck you.....

Enjoy your gritty polenta

Yeah. I guess cornmeal porridge is pretty simila. to Frosted Mini Spooners, Berry Colossal Crunch and Marshmallow Mateys, now that you mention it. Personally, I think Golden Puffs are better than polenta because they stay pretty crunchy in cold milk and polenta just can't.

I probably will.

Colossal Crunch is the best Malt-o-Meal

Fuck you

Polenta is great, really enjoy it. Not sure that it is a meme however.

not really a meme. it's not like everybody's eating it as a side dish for every meal. it's pretty much only considered for dishes with braised meats and maybe some mexican dishes.

I agree. I've only had polenta with meat as a side dish. Best polenta I've had was during a flight in first class, paired with an excellent bone in pork cut.

>can't compare polenta and grits
>polenta is more like malt o meal
Yeah, malted wheat porridge and plain corn porridge are really similar while plain corn porridge and plain corn porridge are just entirely unlike one another, I agree.

Is Polenta anything like Mama Liga?
Because my Romanian grandmother always makes Mama Liga for us, but I've never actually had Polenta before.

yes almost the same

I'm not arguing that they're not both made from corn. I'm saying that you can't compare the two because they both have different tastes and textures.

Suddenly, truth, on Veeky Forums of all places.

We sell both fine and coarse ground mais (and other things, like semolina and chickpeas) for making polenta. In Italy, I mean.
I'm guessing abroad, you don't have polenta in as many varieties and coarsenesses? I know I've never seen any polenta besides mais outside of Italy.

We do.

It's called grits.

I like polenta to eat when I enter
I used to have grits but it gives me the shits

I've never even had polenta, but I remember it appearing in a whole bunch of fucking dishes like 5~10 years ago. Apparently it's is/was peasant food for people in Italy hundreds of years ago, served like a gruel, and then it started showing up in fancy restaurants as some sort of new exciting starch and main dish.

I've even heard of it used as a breakfast where it is pan fried, and topped with syrup

Some of the time in the US you will have "Grits" and "Pollenta" on the same package. Or different grinds being labeled "grits" or "pollenta."

The real difference is if the grits are "Hominy" grits. 95% of the time you get grits they'll be white hominy grits, don't think I've ever seen pollenta made from corn that had been treated with alkali