Why ist "von Neumann" the favorit mathematician from Veeky Forums ?

Why ist "von Neumann" the favorit mathematician from Veeky Forums ?

pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

german.stackexchange.com/questions/21990/when-do-we-use-prepositions-in-or-auf-with-locations
twitter.com/AnonBabble

"When he was sent at the age of 15 to study advanced calculus under the renowned analyst Gábor Szegő, Szegő was so astounded with the boy's talent in mathematics that he was brought to tears on their first meeting."

"Teller also said "von Neumann would carry on a conversation with my 3-year-old son, and the two of them would talk as equals, and I sometimes wondered if he used the same principle when he talked to the rest of us.""

"When George Dantzig brought von Neumann an unsolved problem in linear programming "as I would to an ordinary mortal", on which there had been no published literature, he was astonished when von Neumann said "Oh, that!", before offhandedly giving a lecture of over an hour, explaining how to solve the problem using the hitherto unconceived theory of duality."

"George Pólya, whose lectures at ETH Zürich von Neumann attended as a student, said "Johnny was the only student I was ever afraid of. If in the course of a lecture I stated an unsolved problem, the chances were he'd come to me at the end of the lecture with the complete solution scribbled on a slip of paper.""

"One of his remarkable abilities was his power of absolute recall. As far as I could tell, von Neumann was able on once reading a book or article to quote it back verbatim; moreover, he could do it years later without hesitation. He could also translate it at no diminution in speed from its original language into English. On one occasion I tested his ability by asking him to tell me how A Tale of Two Cities started. Whereupon, without any pause, he immediately began to recite the first chapter and continued until asked to stop after about ten or fifteen minutes."

And there's more.

because he did literally everything

Wow, that sounds awesome! If theres more please write me or send me a link, it really caught my attention! thx

Expanding George Pólya's anecdote:

"There was a seminar for advanced students in Zürich that I was teaching and von Neumann was in the class. I came to a certain theorem, and I said it is not proved and it may be difficult. Von Neumann didn't say anything but after five minutes he raised his hand. When I called on him he went to the blackboard and proceeded to write down the proof. After that I was afraid of von Neumann. "

>ist
Sie haben zu gehen (uhh..) back, Heinz

Nur weil Ich "ist" geschrieben habe, denkst du, dass ich deutsche sprechen kann?!

Ja, du schmutzig kraut.
sorry for my duolingo-tier German btw

Deutsch ist auch nicht meine Muttersprach, Ich lerne auch mit Duolingo (und auch in einer Sprachschule)

Is control systems engineering basically technical cybernetics?

Dritte Brend hier. Ich lehrne auch mit Duo.

Duo ist nicht sehr schlecht. Meine Grosvater ist auf Deutchland und er mag Duo.

bump

>Meine Grosvater
Mein Großvater/Grossvater

>ist auf Deutschland
Use "in" for locations like this, otherwise it sounds like "my grandfather is at Germany". You use "auf" when you mean at a location, but not necessarily in it. Because I can't think of a good way to explain it, read this: german.stackexchange.com/questions/21990/when-do-we-use-prepositions-in-or-auf-with-locations

lol, no. its laplace transforms: the class.

>"Teller also said "von Neumann would carry on a conversation with my 3-year-old son, and the two of them would talk as equals, and I sometimes wondered if he used the same principle when he talked to the rest of us.""

Ouch. Also, he most certainly did, there is no doubt about that.

Children are not retards.

He is said to have been so much above an ordinary person's capacities that I wonder if any of that is true. Can one man actually be this bright?

Theres this girl in my daughters school, she is retarded, i guess she is down.. How do you say that children are not retarded? There are tons of down ppl and down children out there

I honestly think you're both wrong.

"Natural numbers are not squares."

Quora users everybody.

Danke.

Should be Euler or Gauss

sent ;)

Because Ramanujan > Von Neumann

>Ramanujan
No.

What this user said.

>this will never be you

>Not as unrelated as you might think