Taking "Mathematical Proofs" this semester. How fucked am I?

Taking "Mathematical Proofs" this semester. How fucked am I?

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/How-is-topology-useful-in-Economics-In-which-parts-of-Economics-is-this-used
twitter.com/AnonBabble

probably not that fucked

Idk. How good are you at mathematical proofs?

Haven't been exposed to it in my life. Am very worried

Why? Did you seriously got into a General Math program and not Applied Math?

You're going to get fucked in the ass after graduation.

I'm an economics major with a minor in mathematics, so yes it's more general.

I just hate the dumb even and odd proofs.

Should be easy. I found it unbelievably boring when I took it. Look forward to analysis next. It's much harder but more interesting.

Considering you're actually worried, I would say there's a decent chance you're a massive brainlet and thus pretty fucked.

Nah I got mad anxiety, had it all throughout calc III and made an A

>a minor in mathematics
>Not Master's degree
Shit you fucked up, senpai.

In a MS in Economics, you already take the fucking math you need for Economics plus more courses on the Economics itself.
Yes, some people say that you should minor in Math but you just got meme'd on. The most important degree you would need in your career is the PhD in Econ but you start becoming a real Economist at MS.

You fucked up.

t. /adv/

Why don't you read Velleman's "How to Prove it" then, and also Eccle's "Introduction to mathematical reasoning". They're short books

Golly, you sure did jump the gun. I'm actually doing a program where I get my MA at the same time as my AB in econ. The minor is just for E D G E purposes

To be fair to him, plenty of people don't know how much math is needed for economics grad school. It's to the point where a math degree will probably get you into better programs than an economics degree.

Taking computer science, circuits, dynamics and strength of materials this semester.

How fucked am i?
>mechanical engineer, so no programing experience beyond QBASIC and only physics 2 circuits experience

Sure you did, you've taken diffeq and linear algebra, havent you?

>I'm actually doing a program where I get my MA at the same time as my AB in econ. The minor is just for E D G E purposes
Okay then, i guess the proofs shit you will never touch in your life again after learning them will be really easy if you have lots of creativity.

Like, it's still logic in some problems so i think you're already good at that, you will get straight A's.

No need to say good luck, you don't need it familia
Robotics?
>Taking CS
What language are you going to learn? You could ask /g/.
>circuits, dynamics and strength of materials this semester.
Should've took more Physics and a little Chemistry courses.

that's a class now, is it?

why are you taking those? are you planing on working in a tiny firm where you do everything or what

materials science is my favorite part of eng 2bh

>not knowing the applied math major is just the brainlet version of the math major
>not knowing real and complex analysis, and by extension proofs, are prerequisites to most advanced applied math subjects

You have to be over the age of 18 to post here.

>math is needed for economics grad school.
What would you say is the minimum amount of mathematical knowledge one needs in order to do well?

>the sum of every number up to infinity is -1/12
this is bullshit pseudomathematics. It's physically impossible, just abusing fallible rules and semantics to come to a conclusion that physically can not be correct

I bet if you tried adding all of the numbers up you'd get -1/12. You should try it.

I would get infinity because infinity encompasses all numbers beyond what we can count

>Bare bare minimum:
Calculus
Linear Algebra
Multivariable Calculus
Real Analysis
Probability Theory
Mathematical Statistics
Game Theory
Differential Equations

>Bare minimum:
Linear Programming
Complex Analysis
Topology
Stochastic Processes

>Do well:
Measure Theory
Mathematical Modeling
Mathematical Optimization
Simulation and MCM
Numerical Analysis
Regression Analysis
Time Series Analysis

Its labelled as a 400 level statistics course at my school, what is it about exactly?

A rigorous course in linear algebra. Basic analysis, can be called advanced calc as well. Real analysis with measure theory. Topology and complex analysis are not necessary but are useful. Abstract algebra is not very useful but will still be considered in applications.

You're expected to know some probability and statistics as well. Stochastics are important. See if you can take a probability or statistics course which requires measure theory as a prerequisite, those will be viewed very highly in applications.

I don't know anything about economics but how would topology be useful for it?

>calc
Isn't that, like, a high-school subject?

quora.com/How-is-topology-useful-in-Economics-In-which-parts-of-Economics-is-this-used

(-1) + (-2) + (-3) + .... = infinity, because infinity encompasses all numbers beyond what we can count

all positive numbers beyond what we can count, smartass
negative infinity is for the negative numbers

t. brainlet

prove me wrong (you can't)

t. retard

literally not an argument

Literally a retard

Nobody listen to this man. He's fucking retarded.